Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 11:46 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times

Advertisements

It seems we've had a lot of questions lately about the "best" schools in San Diego. We're likely to get more questions as many families try to time moves over the summer.

When people ask these questions, there are a lot of absolute answers given in reply. "This school is the 'best' in San Diego." "This district is the most 'highly rated.'" "This district is the "only' one worth considering."

But few people actually back those absolute statements up with data. In my old life as a school counselor, we liked data when we were talking about schools. So, I thought I'd pull some data to see what the numbers show, in hopes that it might be helpful to folks who might have questions.

First, a few qualifiers: I used state test data (API) for the lists below. I do not believe that test data ever tells the whole story of the differences between schools, as test score results can be affected by many factors (including the socio-economic and demographics of the students). Nor do test scores alone tell any parent which school might be "best" for their child's individual needs. For that, you need to dig deeper into the school's educational approach. So, test scores are only a starting point, but since they are a non-biased starting point in that all of the schools administer the same statewide test, I have used them here.

I also believe that test scores are useless if you don't have a baseline to compare them to. So, I started with the STATEWIDE averages in looking at the API for each school. Parents should do the same.

finally, I have only pulled data for high schools and elementary schools. If someone else is interested, they can look at middle schools (or maybe if I am bored one day, I'll do the same).

OK, on to the data.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-09-2016 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 12:10 PM

HIGH SCHOOLS

Please note: there are many ways that one could --- and should --- compare high schools when choosing one for your child. API scores are the most available way. But, I'd STRONGLY encourage parents to ask high schools for a copy of their School Profile (a report high schools prepare for colleges), which will provide information about the curriculum, number of advanced placement courses, average college entrance exam scores, college placements, and other information about the school in order to determine which high school will be the right one for YOUR child.

But, since I don''t have time to pull the School Profiles for every high school, I'll stick with API scores for this.

First, let's talk about the statewide average for API (state) testing. At the high school level, the last available statewide API average was 747.

Averages are kind of weird things to work with though. Because, quite frankly, one school's average being a few points away from anothers (or the statewide ) doesn't really mean anything statistically.

But, when we start to see BIG differences between the baseline average and a school, then that's a sign to take a closer look.

So, the first thing I did was look at how many high schools in San Diego County have APIs 50 points or more BELOW the average.

The answer: only 18 public high schools (including charters) have API scores 50 points below the statewide average. (If anyone would like the list, you can send me a private message).

Bottomline: your children are not going to be disadvantaged educationally by attending the majority of the high schools in San Diego County. There are differences between schools, but for the most part, the vast majority of high schools are meeting state standards as measured by API and your child, if they are hard working, will be able to prepare for college and get into a good college (assuming they have good grades) from many different high schools.

OK, so which schools have the "best" API scores? Well, here's the list of the schools that have the highest APIs. I have included Charter High Schools on the list (but note that some of the high schools with the lowest APIs were also charters, so just being a charter high school doesn't mean it will be a strong school). Please also note that there are MANY other high schools that have strong APIs. I just pulled the top 35.

Highest API scores San Diego High Schools

(The district that the high school is in is in parentheses)

River Valley Charter High School (Lakeside District) 931
SIA Tech (Vista Unified) 912
Canyon Crest Academy ((San Dieguito )916
Scripps Ranch (San Diego Unified) 898
Preuss School UCSD (San Diego Unif.) 893
Torrey Pines High (San Dieguito Unified) 888
Kearny International Business (San Diego Unif) 870
Cornado High (Cornado Dist.) 874
Del Norte High (Poway Unif.) 870
Westview (Poway Unified) 867
Poway (Poway Unified) 863
San Diego International Studies (San Diego Unified) 862
Classical Academy High (Escondido Unif.) 861
Mount Everest Academy (San Diego Unified) 859
San Marcos High (San Marcos Unified) 859
La Jolla High (SD Unif.) 856
Mira Mesa High (San Diego Unified) 851
Bonita Vista High (Sweetwater Unified) 851
Rancho Bernardo High (Poway Unif.) 850
Olympian High (Sweetwater Unified) 849
San Dieguito Academy (S dieguito) 847
Escondido Charter High (Escondido HS ) 845
Guajome Park Academy Charter (Vista Unif ) 842
Eastlake High (Sweetwater Unified) 844
Carlsbad High (Carlsbad U) 838
La Costa Canyon (San Dieguito Unif) 836
Mount Carmel High (Poway) 835
Grossmont Middle College High (Grossmont Unified) 832
Mission Vista (VistaU) 832
University City (San Diego Unified 823
Valhalla High (Grossmont Unified) 817
Patrick Henry (SD Unif) 814
Santana High (Grossmont Unified) 807
Valley Center High (Valley Center) 807
High Tech High (803)

Old 05-09-2016, 12:23 PM

So, a couple of things jump out at me. First, there are high schools with strong test scores in all parts of the county. Second, we often talk in absolutes (how many times has someone here said that the San Diego Unified has "horrible" schools as if ALL schools in the SD Unified should be avoided? Yet, I see quite a few high schools in SD Unified on this list). And, third, on this list alone there are so many different educational approaches and philosophies -- all of these high schools would not be "perfect" for all students, but might be the "best" for some students. And that goes for all the other schools in SD too (even the worst performing by API scores might be the "best" choices for certain students).

Reminder: If your child's high school is NOT on this list, that does not mean it is not a good school. If you want to check your child's school's API scores, or are considering moving to a new neighborhood and want to check API scores for a high school, you can do so here: http://api.cde.ca.gov/Acnt2014/apiavgcty.aspx?allcds=37

I have pulled some information for elementary schools too, but I will wait to share that.

Also, if you notice any errors above, please just jump in and make a note below. I may have missed schools or inadvertently copied information wrong from the API site.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:35 PM

148 posts, read 279,464 times
Thank you RosieSD. I think we should add this to the sticky top.
Like you said above, school is only half of the equation, the other half comes from the parents/family.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:18 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
So, a couple of things jump out at me. First, there are high schools with strong test scores in all parts of the county. Second, we often talk in absolutes (how many times has someone here said that the San Diego Unified has "horrible" schools as if ALL schools in the SD Unified should be avoided? Yet, I see quite a few high schools in SD Unified on this list). And, third, on this list alone there are so many different educational approaches and philosophies -- all of these high schools would not be "perfect" for all students, but might be the "best" for some students. And that goes for all the other schools in SD too (even the worst performing by API scores might be the "best" choices for certain students).

Reminder: If your child's high school is NOT on this list, that does not mean it is not a good school. If you want to check your child's school's API scores, or are considering moving to a new neighborhood and want to check API scores for a high school, you can do so here: API 3 - Year Average(CA Dept. of Education)

I have pulled some information for elementary schools too, but I will wait to share that.

Also, if you notice any errors above, please just jump in and make a note below. I may have missed schools or inadvertently copied information wrong from the API site.
Ignorance mixed with Classism.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:18 PM

39 posts, read 59,837 times
Really great post RosieSD. I agree it is so important not to make blanket statements about an area's schools, especially negative statements, as it is often not the whole picture. It definitely behooves a parent to take the time and do some research. The information you have provided here is great!

Old 05-09-2016, 03:28 PM

38 posts, read 48,850 times
Great explanation RosieSD, thanks for this! I agree that this should be stickied.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:58 PM

39 posts, read 59,837 times
Can someone please explain what stickies are? New to this forum. . . thanks in advance

Old 05-09-2016, 06:27 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,743,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCountySDGal View Post
Can someone please explain what stickies are? New to this forum. . . thanks in advance
Look at the 'Images of San Diego' thread. It always stays to the top of the San Diego pane even if there are no recent posts. This is because it has been 'stickied' by a moderator.

Usually, they sticky threads to get attention and/or make it easily available. For example, forums often use sticky threads for the rules/terms of service, etc.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo4fun View Post
Thank you RosieSD. I think we should add this to the sticky top.
Like you said above, school is only half of the equation, the other half comes from the parents/family.
So true. And, of course, the individual student plays a part in their education too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego