Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:57 PM

8 posts, read 10,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
Thanks. I checked out university city and it's a bit expensive. So, I am left with PB. Why not hill crest?
Just being helpful, as a native of San Diego, it not Hill crest. It's Hillcrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 03:45 PM

264 posts, read 250,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
I just got a call that a studio apartment is available near ocean beach. It's 480 square feet, includes a dish washer (which is a must for me) with a rent of $1150.
I would be VERY skeptical of landlords trying to rent to people out of state. I've had a close eye on the San Diego rental market for two years. It's fiercely competitive, especially in late spring/summer. 480 square feet is pretty big for a studio in OB, and dishwashers are the exception rather than the norm in OB. $1150 seems low. It sets off alarm bells for me.

I agree with other posters suggesting you visit first and don't sign a lease sight unseen.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:58 PM

37 posts, read 36,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
especially in late spring/summer.
What would you say is the least competitive time statically speaking? After all the family related moves, so after September? Thanks.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:54 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie Jim View Post
Just being helpful, as a native of San Diego, it not Hill crest. It's Hillcrest.
This is true. There's no space in the word Hillcrest.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:16 AM

285 posts, read 377,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenieSD View Post
What would you say is the least competitive time statically speaking? After all the family related moves, so after September? Thanks.
I tried in November and December but everything for 1500 and under was junk, old, run down, no appliances, parking on the street, but keep in mind my standards are higher having addresses in Nevada and Arizona, where all appliances are provided in relatively new buildings

Good question. When is the best time?

Old 05-20-2016, 06:34 AM

771 posts, read 835,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
I tried in November and December but everything for 1500 and under was junk, old, run down, no appliances, parking on the street, but keep in mind my standards are higher having addresses in Nevada and Arizona, where all appliances are provided in relatively new buildings

Keep in mind there will be a direct connection between supply and demand here. If most people want to move in (say) late May and June and most leases are in one-year increments, most leases will be coming open in that same time frame. So while there are probably fewer people searching in December, there are surely fewer units coming available, too.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
Keep in mind there will be a direct connection between supply and demand here. If most people want to move in (say) late May and June and most leases are in one-year increments, most leases will be coming open in that same time frame. So while there are probably fewer people searching in December, there are surely fewer units coming available, too.
I agree with that statement, but wouldn't there always be broken leases, people moving non expected events, etc? Just brainstorming here

Old 05-20-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post

So, you didn't move? Are you trying again? December is too late for me, my goal is September to November.
There are days where I am very hopeful and others, not so much.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:47 PM

480 posts, read 418,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
I would be VERY skeptical of landlords trying to rent to people out of state. I've had a close eye on the San Diego rental market for two years. It's fiercely competitive, especially in late spring/summer. 480 square feet is pretty big for a studio in OB, and dishwashers are the exception rather than the norm in OB. $1150 seems low. It sets off alarm bells for me.

I agree with other posters suggesting you visit first and don't sign a lease sight unseen.
Probably. The web site provides some authenticity. Also, they will only accept money order for security deposit and some places ask for a non-refundable application fee. Is that typical? I thought application fee will be refunded if you changed your mind and did not sign the lease.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:52 PM

480 posts, read 418,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Don't sign a lease without viewing rental in person, as very frequently not what you think and there are scams about.
If you cannot previsit prior to move, you'll just have to get temp housing and do your search at that time.
While market is tight, it is not impossible at all to do that way I suggest.
OB is a bit gritty with many young reckless criminal homeless about. PB is more party central. Hillcrest is 3 miles to beach.
Again do this in person.
Hear me now and trust me now.
Do you have job or school lined up ahead? Where coming from? Your backstory, Opt_10?
I am well of financially although I don't want to spend my hard earned money on a rent rip off.

What exactly is a scam? Some one will advertise an apartment, make you sign the lease, pay the security deposit and they don't have a legitimate apartment? Wouldn't the police arrest such scammers? I can't imagine some one preparing a fake lease. Does this really happen? That would be crazy or are people being paranoid? Is scamming just stealing your bank info? I can't put my finger on why so many posters are brining up scam issue. Is it specific to certain neighborhoods?

I for one will not give my financial and credit card info to anyone that easily. So, what's the scare really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego