Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:57 PM

4 posts, read 19,094 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I wanted to get some feedback from those who live in SD regarding the police department. Alittle about me...I am a recent college graduate from NJ, moving out to SD with a serious gf. I majored in Criminal Justice and want to go into law enforcement. I also have a good amount of family in the LA area.

I feel becoming a police officer in SD is a great and exciting opportunity. What I know from my limited experience with the city, I will love it out there. I have enjoyed just about everyone I have interacted with, I love the weather (of course), the vast amount of outdoor activities, beaches, restaurants, among others.

To my question -

How does the public view the SDPD? Is the morale and interaction between the police and public positive? It is important to me to protect and serve a community that supports me and the department I work for. I want to get into police work, but out here in the East Coast, there is alot of politics and usually when one has an encounter with a police officer...it is part of a really bad day. I want to have interactions with the good people of the community, not just the criminals and suspects. Please let me know what you think and any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 01:02 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,558,820 times
Well the moral within the PD is very low from what I here.I live in the county,but not in San Diego.All of us "make fun" or say harsh stereotypes like "There gunna shoot us" because it's kind of nown as being a trigger-happy department.I wouldn't know about the public to department relationship but I do have a story about that.

I was at my barber in East San Diego/National City and a dude from Houston said he was considering joining the force.We got on him so hard about the PD but he stuck with it.The man still joined and says it's "OK;could be better."

I would join the force.Wouldn't hurt you to try.But like I said there is a small amount of negative history with moral,officers shooting suspects and "suspects",not reporting crimes to make the people "feel safer",plus the very low ratio of officer-population.

Some posts you need to look at to get a better feel of things.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...san-diego.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...ng-crimes.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...streak-sd.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...l-another.html

Old 02-15-2008, 01:19 PM

181 posts, read 890,399 times
I dont have a lot of experience with police... but I do know that the police force in SD is not as desirable to work for as in LA. I even knew a guy in criminal justice who live in SD and commuted to work in LA because it was better pay, benefits ect. Since you have family in LA....have you checked out the police force there? Just wonderin.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:22 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,390,896 times
I have had great interactions with SDPD and I have had bad interactions. I am the most unassuming, polite, pleasant guy you will meet when interacting with police. I would never disrespect a police officer. However as a skateboarder you do occasionally run into cops who have a real problem with it, and they can make your life miserable for no apparent reason. This was years ago of course. These days, SDPD doesn't seem to care as much about skateboarding as they used to, and I rarely ever skate outside of the skatepark anyway.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:42 PM

70 posts, read 312,028 times
If it's what you want to do, you should pursue it. One thing you should know is that you are dealing with every kind of different person. You should know people will hate you simply for what you stand for. As long as this doesn't bother you or change your opinion that most people are good, you will be alright. You need to have thick skin and not take things personal.

I would say the local oppinion of SDPD varies by area. I've noticed the posters on this site are very inteligent and are a good gauge or local opinion. Read though the threads jksouthbay posted for good information.

From the inside, I'd say morale is good within the department. All departments have their issues. Some have highly political command staff, micromanaging leadership and other problems. Within SDPD, as long as you follow policy and are resposible for the calls in your area, you are free to take whatever proactive enforcement you want.

Are currently in the hiring process or have you received a conditional offer? Good Luck!!

Old 02-16-2008, 12:21 AM

Thanks guys for the replies.

I recieved the conditional offer already, so hopefully the last bit of details will be finalized. I am very interested in being a police officer, especially in beautiful San Diego. I understand that there will be people who are negative towards cops for whatever reason (whether justified or not) and that encounter some terrible moments. I am also fully aware the most people are respectable and have good intentions. I think I have the personality to do a commendable job as a police officer and at the same time be courteous and respectable to the community.

I think a part of the "low morale" within the department is the low pay compared to the surrounding towns' forces. For me, the salary is not much of an issue as I do not have many bills and any dependents. I look at the benefits SDPD has to offer me such as good training, promotional opportunities, great city to work for and live, and many specialized forces within the department.

Keep the info coming everyone...

Thanks again.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:29 AM

19 posts, read 57,627 times
Default Sdpd

Good luck with the department!!! I will be testing in April and also look forward to jong the departmet. I currently live in Michigan so I too will be making a big move out west!!! I would like to ask you how long did the hiring process take for you,from the time you took both test to the time they gave you a offer? Thanks,

Skoonz

Old 02-16-2008, 01:19 AM

Hey skoonz...

I wish you the best of luck. Check your PM.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:58 AM

19 posts, read 57,627 times
Default Sdpd

Thanks TKO,back at you!!! PM

Old 02-16-2008, 09:51 PM
BNB

172 posts, read 690,589 times
I think it depends on what area of the city/county you work in...depending on the crime level, etc. My brother is a sheriff's deputy in poway and there is low crime and a high level of positive interaction there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego