Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 12:24 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times

Advertisements

What kinds of snakes did the sign say you might see? Were there pictures of the snakes? Don't take the trail, and you won't encounter any snakes.

Last edited by moved; 05-25-2016 at 12:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 08:25 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
Wow. That's crazy. I thought texas is the state in drought. I love that SD has the desert vibe. It did scare me when I took the beach trail from the hill down to the beach (at torry pines). I loved the trail and the amazing water views but I saw signs saying I may encounter snakes! OMG. I can't handle snakes. Are they poisonous ones? How can I safeguard myself from them?
Only have to worry about the rattlers. If you are really concerned get snake gaiters. I use them when hunting during the warmer months. 4 am in the dark is not the time to meet a buzz worm.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:52 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
It did scare me when I took the beach trail from the hill down to the beach (at torry pines). I loved the trail and the amazing water views but I saw signs saying I may encounter snakes! OMG. I can't handle snakes. Are they poisonous ones? How can I safeguard myself from them?
Rattlesnakes are present throughout San Diego County, even by the coast. The biggest rattlesnake I ever saw here was in Sunset Cliffs Park in Point Loma. (I won't tell you about the time I found a rattler in my garage).

However, they won't bother you if you don't bother them. By "bother" I mean try to pick them up, step on them, get too close to them, or otherwise antagonize them. You should be careful about sticking your hands into places you can't see, such as under rocks and bushes. That's where they like to hang out during the heat of the day. And, you should be alert when walking in any natural areas so that you don't accidentally step on one. Always wear closed toe shoes when you go on trails; don't hike in flip flops or sandals. If you see a rattlesnake, just back away and you'll be fine. The good things about snakes is they can't run after you.

Other critters to be aware of in San Diego County include coyotes and mountain lions. Coyotes are present even in very suburban areas and have been known to attack pets. Mountain lions are rarer, but do occasionally wander down into more populated areas.

Oh, and we have black widow spiders here too.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-25-2016 at 10:19 AM..

Old 05-25-2016, 03:06 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Is it the same case with kiwi fruit, pomegranate, Eucalyptus, Dorian fruit, and goose berries? Back here, we had a garden where we could harvest all these fruits with the exception of Dorian. For some reason I believe the the nice weather in SD will be conducive for these fruits but I am not sure if I can actually find any of these in SD? I am guessing not but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Pomegranate grows well here, the rest do not. They *can* grow in *some* places, but they're not well-suited to the climate. It is dry, dry dry, where Florida is wet, wet, wet. We have basically the OPPOSITE climate. Just because there's sun in both places doesn't mean the same things grow.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:40 PM

480 posts, read 418,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Rattlesnakes are present throughout San Diego County, even by the coast. The biggest rattlesnake I ever saw here was in Sunset Cliffs Park in Point Loma. (I won't tell you about the time I found a rattler in my garage).

However, they won't bother you if you don't bother them. By "bother" I mean try to pick them up, step on them, get too close to them, or otherwise antagonize them. You should be careful about sticking your hands into places you can't see, such as under rocks and bushes. That's where they like to hang out during the heat of the day. And, you should be alert when walking in any natural areas so that you don't accidentally step on one. Always wear closed toe shoes when you go on trails; don't hike in flip flops or sandals. If you see a rattlesnake, just back away and you'll be fine. The good things about snakes is they can't run after you.

Other critters to be aware of in San Diego County include coyotes and mountain lions. Coyotes are present even in very suburban areas and have been known to attack pets. Mountain lions are rarer, but do occasionally wander down into more populated areas.

Oh, and we have black widow spiders here too.
OMG. That's insane. I have been told even seeing a snake can be scary causing sleepless nights, increase in heart rate, bad dreams, and high blood pressure coupled with seizures. This is not good. My health insurance covers none of these. Unless I am actually bitten by a snake, they won't pay for my doctor's visit let alone the pharmacy bill. what about the lasting psychological and mental impact that may arise out of seeing a snake? Has this been considered? What kind of options are out there? do people call animal control if they spot one? any chance these snakes might creep into residential neighborhoods? I researched insurance companies but none have any information about health issues caused by seeing a snake. Are there any california specific health insurance policies in light of these dangerous animals?

Spiders are fine though. You can crush them with a paper towel. But snakes.. omg. That's a scary scenario.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
OMG. That's insane. I have been told even seeing a snake can be scary causing sleepless nights, increase in heart rate, bad dreams, and high blood pressure coupled with seizures. This is not good. My health insurance covers none of these. Unless I am actually bitten by a snake, they won't pay for my doctor's visit let alone the pharmacy bill. what about the lasting psychological and mental impact that may arise out of seeing a snake? Has this been considered? What kind of options are out there? do people call animal control if they spot one? any chance these snakes might creep into residential neighborhoods? I researched insurance companies but none have any information about health issues caused by seeing a snake. Are there any california specific health insurance policies in light of these dangerous animals?

Spiders are fine though. You can crush them with a paper towel. But snakes.. omg. That's a scary scenario.
There are a few people I believe are born in a mall...and never leave. That would be those people. Do you have a safe space to retreat to? I suggest taking an online course for that. Nature is scary!!! I mean SCARY!!

Try the "I saw a scary" patch at Rite Aid for starters. My insurance doesn't cover but it's well worth it. I think they make a travel kit with the ISAS option in a clear bag that will get you through most large urban center air ports.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:02 PM

480 posts, read 418,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There are a few people I believe are born in a mall...and never leave. That would be those people. Do you have a safe space to retreat to? I suggest taking an online course for that. Nature is scary!!! I mean SCARY!!

Try the "I saw a scary" patch at Rite Aid for starters. My insurance doesn't cover but it's well worth it. I think they make a travel kit with the ISAS option in a clear bag that will get you through most large urban center air ports.
Oh please. I am not naive. With that kind of sense of humor, you can do stand up comedy!

Old 05-26-2016, 06:48 AM

Oh, you were being serious.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:46 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:

You better reconsider moving here, to save your mental health. The neighbor downstairs in our condo building was bit by a rattlesnake that had crawled into his kitchen.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:01 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
OMG. That's insane. I have been told even seeing a snake can be scary causing sleepless nights, increase in heart rate, bad dreams, and high blood pressure coupled with seizures. This is not good. My health insurance covers none of these. Unless I am actually bitten by a snake, they won't pay for my doctor's visit let alone the pharmacy bill. what about the lasting psychological and mental impact that may arise out of seeing a snake?
No one has a heart attack or seizures just from seeing a snake.

I walked into my garage and found a three foot long rattlesnake in the middle of the floor. While my blood pressure probably did spike momentarily, I just reached for the shovel and...well, the snake is no longer alive and I had no health consequences.

But if you're afraid of things that go bump in the night (or day), perhaps you should look for an apartment without a toilet, as sometimes strange things pop up in toilets in San Diego.

Like the woman who a few weeks ago discovered a snake in her apartment's toilet in the Golden Hill neighborhood just south of Hillcrest.
http://nypost.com/2015/01/08/woman-d...-in-san-diego/

Or this woman, who found a baby opossum in the toilet of her Pacific Beach apartment a few weeks ago: http://nbc4i.com/2016/05/18/watch-wh...d-from-toilet/ (Animal Control later found a second opossum elsewhere in her apartment; they'd ripped open a window screen to get inside).

Life is full of scary things. Yet, most people find a way to deal with that fact without having a breakdown. If you're going to live in fear, or have a hissy fit every time you encounter something outside of your comfort zone, then perhaps a move to California is not the best idea.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-26-2016 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego