Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 09:56 AM

15 posts, read 8,501 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I plan to move to California exactly a year from now when I graduate from college in spring 2017 . I will have a job when I move there, I will be transferring with the company I work for now. (Anyone work for or has worked for Hollister and know the salary in Cali?) I've been to California twice this past year to find a city I am interested in and have researched apartments and know about the high rents. Just recently went to San Diego this past march. Ive searched this forum but haven't seen any names of complexes which is what I'm looking for. Yelp and google help but I'd rather hear from anyone that currently loves their apartment or know of good ones.

The company has stores at Fashion Valley, Westfield UTC, and Westfield plaza bonita. When I visited I stayed in Hotel circle and really liked the mission valley area.

These are a some of the apartments I like:
The Missions at Rio Vista
Axiom La Jolla
La Jolla Intl
Evila
Carmel landing
Towers at Costa Verde
Market street Village
5025 "I know this is student housing"
Budget wise Id like to stay under $1600 for a nice safe place for just myself, I have money saved and don't want to have a random craigslist roommate. Im 21 and male so would prefer areas popular for college students but not required. Being out of state I believe an apartment complex would be the easiest for moving vs just renting a place.

Is San Diego a good city for early 20's or would LA be better? Im deciding between both cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 10:26 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
What area of San Diego is your job going to in?

Old 05-22-2016, 02:04 PM

Not sure yet, but My preference is Mission Valley area

Old 05-22-2016, 02:29 PM

Wait to find an apartment when you know what area you'll be working in. Otherwise, you could have a very long commute, and be sitting n traffic.

Old 05-22-2016, 02:58 PM

11 posts, read 7,760 times
I agree with Moved. Wait to start looking for an apartment until you know where your job will be. You don't want to spend 45 minutes commuting each way.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathe555 View Post
I agree with Moved. Wait to start looking for an apartment until you know where your job will be. You don't want to spend 45 minutes commuting each way.
Or way more than 45 minutes.............

Old 05-22-2016, 06:33 PM

Thanks for your input! Yeah it is a bit difficult when I don't know the exact location. It'll either be Fashion Valley Mall or West Field UTC Mall so could I get suggestions for apartments in both areas?

Old 05-22-2016, 07:29 PM

The areas are totally different. Since you have a guaranteed job, just wait for the location. Check out Craigslist, Apartments.com, and other sites for suggestions. Then post the addresses here for comments. I can tell you that Market Street Village is in the East Village, and it's above the Albertson's grocery store. I used to live across the street from there before they built Albertson's, and there is a fair amount of homeless people in the area.

When you find addresses that you're interested in, check out this website: Bed Bug Registry.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:33 PM

160 posts, read 155,600 times
Mission Valley does have a lot to offer in terms of shopping, accessibility and lot of relatively new apartment buildings that are nicer than some of the older areas. However, if you are moving to SD at age 22, I would look at North Park, South Park, Pacific Beach and Mission Hills. All of those areas have more personality than Mission Valley, and are close enough to Mission Valley you could be over there within 10-15 mins. You will have to do more searching than if you moved to Mission Valley in terms of lining a place up, but you will enjoy those other areas more once you are here. If you end up working up in North County, you may just prefer to live up there, but I would come out and spend at least a few days researching and visiting those neighborhoods.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:55 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
If your job ends up being in Fashion Valley Mall, you may want to live in Little Italy and commute via the Trolley to Fashion Valley. Little Italy is a decent place for 20 somethings. Otherwise, live in an area popular with people your age. These would be North Park, Normal Heights, University Heights, Hillcrest, and South Park. The problem with living in these areas (except Little Italy) is that the multi-family housing stock is older, however, I think you would enjoy your neighborhood far more. Also, it's important not to get caught with a DUI.

If you end up working in UTC or Bonita, all bets are off. Neither of those areas are really where younger people hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego