Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 10:57 AM

8,365 posts, read 7,559,554 times

Advertisements

Here's another fun fact about SDSU: It ranks 16 among the colleges and universities with the largest number of alumni who are CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, right after schools like Harvard, Penn, MIT, and Stanford:

38 Colleges with the Most Fortune 500 CEO Graduates in 2016

Another fun fact: one in seven people living in San Diego graduated from SDSU. (see: http://ourcitysd.com/which-universit....7CyNw5G0.dpbs)

Last edited by RosieSD; 06-10-2016 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 05:28 PM

480 posts, read 414,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Here's another fun fact about SDSU: It ranks 16 among the colleges and universities with the largest number of alumni who are CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, right after schools like Harvard, Penn, MIT, and Stanford:

38 Colleges with the Most Fortune 500 CEO Graduates in 2016

Another fun fact: one in seven people living in San Diego graduated from SDSU. (see: Which universities produce the most local leaders - ourcitysd.com)
Doesn't SDSU take rejects from UCSD? I have heard several people mention that.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:39 PM

9,787 posts, read 11,443,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
What the hell does that have to do with anything?
Except for women Soccer UCSD takes SDSU rejects in sports.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:24 PM

8,365 posts, read 7,559,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
Opt_10, aren't you going to be a student at UCSD in the fall? Might you be a little biased? I think you are doing the many talented students who attend SDSU a disservice in your assumptions.

The original poster didn't ask about UCSD. They asked about SDSU. Unless you have some personal knowledge to share about SDSU, perhaps you might want to "opt out" (pun intended) of this conversation.

For the last several years, the undergrad acceptance rate at both schools has been very similar. Last year, SDSU admitted 34.5% of undergrad applicants, while UCSD admitted 33.9%. So the two schools are equally competitive for admission.

I'm a retired college counselor. Over the years, I had many of my students get into both schools but choose SDSU over UCSD for various reasons.

That's not to say that UCSD isn't a fine institution; it is. But SDSU is also a fine institution with a lot going for it too. Students can get a great education at either school -- it all comes down to personal preferences, goals, and interests. It's time for more people to realize that.

Last edited by RosieSD; 06-10-2016 at 08:52 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Opt_10, aren't you going to be a student at UCSD in the fall? Might you be a little biased? I think you are doing the many talented students who attend SDSU a disservice in your assumptions.

The original poster didn't ask about UCSD. They asked about SDSU. Unless you have some personal knowledge to share about SDSU, perhaps you might want to "opt out" (pun intended) of this conversation.

For the last several years, the undergrad acceptance rate at both schools has been very similar. Last year, SDSU admitted 34.5% of undergrad applicants, while UCSD admitted 33.9%. So the two schools are equally competitive for admission.

I'm a retired college counselor. Over the years, I had many of my students get into both schools but choose SDSU over UCSD for various reasons.

That's not to say that UCSD isn't a fine institution; it is. But SDSU is also a fine institution with a lot going for it too. Students can get a great education at either school -- it all comes down to personal preferences, goals, and interests. It's time for more people to realize that.
I disagree and will not opt out just because some one is asking me to. You cannot possibly compare acceptance rate across UCSd and SDSU. The caliber of students who apply to these Universities are different. So, those numbers don't prove anything. I am well aware that SDSU is a fairly decent school with some good programs. In fact, I have contacts with several people there. So, don't pre judge my knowledge. People can make a more informed decision when they are aware of all options in any given situation. SDSU doesn't appear in the top 10 schools of the country on any reliable web site for any graduate or undergraduate program. UCSD does appear in top 10 in several programs. It's obvious SDSU programs are sub par with poor research productivity compared to UCSD. That's not to say some one cannot get a decent education there but there are better schools in the city and the country. I will call a spade a spade. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

They probably chose SDSU because UCSD programs are highly competitive and not for the mediocre.

Last edited by Opt_10; 06-10-2016 at 10:02 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
What the hell does that have to do with anything?
Except for women Soccer UCSD takes SDSU rejects in sports.
Sports? Their lies the problem with attitude towards education in our country. Who cares about sports? College is for education. That must be the number one priority. Period.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:08 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,143,493 times
So what are you going to be studying in grad school at UCSD?

Old 06-10-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
So what are you going to be studying in grad school at UCSD?
The original poster didn't specify that. You should ask him or her.

Last edited by Opt_10; 06-10-2016 at 10:37 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Opt_10, aren't you going to be a student at UCSD in the fall?
You should re read my original apartment search post carefully. I will be working close to UCSD campus not at UCSD.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:52 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,143,493 times
So why are you bashing SDSU?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego