Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 01:11 PM

96 posts, read 127,486 times

Advertisements

I concur - rent first and explore all options. CV, Solana Beach, Encinitas, Carlsbad and inland PQ, RB, Scripts Ranch - all have potential to work perfectly good for you. All these residential communities serve Sorento Valley and Carlsbad major employment areas in biotech and high tech. Stay open minded and look around. I was looking for my house in one area but bought in another and can not be more happier with my choice.

Re CV.
Pro: This is great area with newer homes, and great location.
Contra: Little bit on overdeveloped, congested side, not famous for going out.
Caution: although schools are looking good on paper they may not be the perfect fit for many children. Please check the schools profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 04:59 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,459,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Moving to Hawaii View Post
In the areas I have mentioned, and probably CV as well, inventory is really low. Houses will get full and over asking price offers in the first couple of days. Don't go into it thinking you have any negotiating power as the buyer.

I didn't bother to include the whole quote, but one of the areas you mentioned was Scripps Ranch. If what you wrote is accurate why were a lot of recent sales at a lower price than the list price? BTW the list price shown is the final list price so there could have been reductions from an even higher ask that are not visible on this page.

SDLookup.com | Scripps Ranch Home Sales

Even assuming no reductions there were quite a few (looks like half or more) that went for less than list price.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:01 PM

8,364 posts, read 7,551,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
I didn't bother to include the whole quote, but one of the areas you mentioned was Scripps Ranch. If what you wrote is accurate why were a lot of recent sales at a lower price than the list price? BTW the list price shown is the final list price so there could have been reductions from an even higher ask that are not visible on this page.

SDLookup.com | Scripps Ranch Home Sales

Even assuming no reductions there were quite a few (looks like half or more) that went for less than list price.
Great site, John. I particularly like how it is possible to see the list and sale price of all communities throughout the county. I think it is more helpful to look at closing prices than listing prices if you want to get a sense of where a particular area is going in terms of the real estate market.

Since the original poster (if they ever return) is interested in Carmel Valley, it's interesting to look at recent home closing prices there: SDLookup.com | Carmel Valley Home Sales

Looks like more homes going for less than list there than in Scripps Ranch actually, at least in the last couple of months. Does that suggest that the area is a little over priced right now?

Old 06-17-2016, 11:21 PM

26 posts, read 28,870 times
We moved with my kids (age 11) from Seattle to Del Sur, which is close to CV. It's our 2nd time living in SD. We love the area, due to the quality of schools and more house for your $. We put in a lot of research and the area was the best.

Cookie cutter? Yes. Suburbia? Yes. Do I care? No. My wife loves it and family is happy

Old 06-18-2016, 10:35 AM

43 posts, read 34,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost87 View Post
We moved with my kids (age 11) from Seattle to Del Sur, which is close to CV. It's our 2nd time living in SD. We love the area, due to the quality of schools and more house for your $. We put in a lot of research and the area was the best.

Cookie cutter? Yes. Suburbia? Yes. Do I care? No. My wife loves it and family is happy
How do you like CV compared with Seattle?

Old 06-19-2016, 08:05 AM

3 posts, read 7,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
When you were in town, what other parts of the county did you visit and spend time in? It would be helpful to know your reactions to other areas before offering suggestions.

Also, do you and your spouse already have jobs lined up? You mention commuting to several different and somewhat spread out areas, so I am wondering where, exactly, you will be working.

Finally, are you relocating from the suburbs of Chicago or the city itself? Do you see yourself as "city people" or "suburban people?"
Thanks for asking these clarifying questions.

Besides CV we also looked at downtown (Gaslamp etc), we stayed in a hotel in Ocean Beach, we also saw houses in La Jolla, Del Mar proper, and UTC / University City area. We feel very attracted to upscale areas like La Jolla despite "getting less for the money". Ocean Beach is definitely not our style, despite some prices being inflated by proximity to the ocean. We witnessed a mugging just outside of UTC (girl got her cellphone taken) but I trust the statistics that indicate San Diego has 2x to 8x less crime than Chicago.

We both have jobs lined up. Both of our professions involve outside travel, for home sales (my wife) or tech consulting (me), so we need to be centrally located, rather than close to any one specific company or neighborhood.

We are relocating from an upscale inner city area of Chicago, so we are used to the exorbitant prices, tiny patio, "little value for the money", etc, but we have a great public school just five blocks away (Chicago Public Schools has a reputation for being very bad, what some people may not realize is that the average poor performance is made up of a few truly stellar and a bunch of truly horrible schools). We have a Walk Score of 98.

We are "practical" people rather than "city" or "suburban".

Old 06-19-2016, 10:32 AM

26 posts, read 28,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colobuff View Post
How do you like CV compared with Seattle?
We disliked Seattle and couldn't wait to leave. Climate sucks for 8 months of the year. Gray, rainy. I also think it was harder to meet friendly people. There is something to be said for the Seattle freeze. I don't know if it's due to the climate and tech jobs, many people (not all) were standoffish. We have met more people in 9 months than in 5 years in Seattle. Again, that was our experience and we feel blessed to be back in SD. Beaches, climate and kid friendly area of CV has been a plus

Old 06-19-2016, 11:02 AM

8,364 posts, read 7,551,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmoving View Post
Thanks for asking these clarifying questions.

Besides CV we also looked at downtown (Gaslamp etc), we stayed in a hotel in Ocean Beach, we also saw houses in La Jolla, Del Mar proper, and UTC / University City area. We feel very attracted to upscale areas like La Jolla despite "getting less for the money". Ocean Beach is definitely not our style, despite some prices being inflated by proximity to the ocean. We witnessed a mugging just outside of UTC (girl got her cellphone taken) but I trust the statistics that indicate San Diego has 2x to 8x less crime than Chicago.

We both have jobs lined up. Both of our professions involve outside travel, for home sales (my wife) or tech consulting (me), so we need to be centrally located, rather than close to any one specific company or neighborhood.

We are relocating from an upscale inner city area of Chicago, so we are used to the exorbitant prices, tiny patio, "little value for the money", etc, but we have a great public school just five blocks away (Chicago Public Schools has a reputation for being very bad, what some people may not realize is that the average poor performance is made up of a few truly stellar and a bunch of truly horrible schools). We have a Walk Score of 98.

I think Carmel Valley ticks all the boxes if you want to be close to the ocean. I do, however, really like Encinitas and someone mentioned Del Sur, which is also a great place. If you're open to going a little inland, Poway and Scripps Ranch both have some beautiful areas and great schools too. A good real estate area who specializes in the North County area should be able to show you a variety of options and help you learn about different areas --- perhaps your friends who already live in CV can recommend someone.

I really liked what you had to say about the schools in Chicago. Too often people get the idea that all schools in a particular city or area are bad, when, in truth, there are strong schools in just about every area of San Diego. The areas where schools might be problematic are not areas that you will be looking in, so I wouldn't worry too much about that part of the equation.

But, you could do a lot worse then to buy in Carmel Valley, from what you are describing you are looking for. Try not to second guess yourself too much; it's more important to get your family settled in an area you like than it is to turn over every single stone looking for the "perfect" area. In my experience, at a certain point too many options is more confusing than too few.

Good luck with your move, and welcome to San Diego.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:12 AM

1,012 posts, read 765,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5 View Post
"Carmel Valley isn't Del Mar"
Saw this on someone's license plate holder while having lunch in Del Mar Heights.
Funny! One time I'd met a guy through a mutual friend. We were making small talk about what we do and where we live, etc. He mentioned that he lived in Del Mar; I said I live in Carmel Valley. Turned out that we only lived about a block apart.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:15 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,349,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmoving View Post

CV is very practical. It's central to a lot of things you want to do and the schools are very good. I would look at Del Sur as well, slightly more open space and a bit farther from the crush of the beach.

If you can afford it, I would also look at all the areas just north east of 5, in Solana Beach it is Lomas Santa Fe, in Encinitas its a large area. A bit funkier for sure but more of a true SoCal single family neighborhood feel and less density. Density in SD means lots and lots of cars, not lots of people walking around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego