Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 12:09 PM

20 posts, read 25,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Costa View Post
Great news. Now would love to see another one European legacy airline e.g. Lufthansa, KLM, Air France, etc. landing in SAN.
If they were to do that, they would have to lift the strict no takeoff ban between 11 pm - 6 am, because SAN only has 2 international gates that could handle airplanes of such size. Point Loma residents would not be thrilled with the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
You can already fly from nonstop from Tijuana to Shanghai. And now that the new pedestrian bridge/terminal is open at the border, you don't even have to drive across the border.

BA uses a 777 into SD, not a 747.

There used to be a nonstop from SD to PGH back when US Air was still around. And actually, LA just brought back the route earlier this year. Before that, SF had the only nonstop from the West Coast. And sure Pittsburgh may have 4 runways, but SD airport handles way over twice as many passengers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
And how will Aeromexico allow passengers to connect to other destinations in China? I really think SAN needs to use a Air China 787 and fly 3-4 times a week to PEK.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:14 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
The double edge sword of having an airport in Downtown is perfect as far as location goes, but brutal becauses it's so small and it can't expand. The other downside like you mentioned is SD's buildings are short for city of our size. They are also unimaginative or even eye popping, bland and stale is more like it. Seeing massively tall skyscrapers is a sight to behold. It's an incredible feeling walking next to building like that.

Another problem with flying out of SD, is that it's so expensive. There's been many times I had friends drive me up to LAX to fly out of there because I can save a few hundred dollars per flight by flying out of LAX vs SD! So if you're willing to save some money, it's better to go up to L.A. because flying in or out of SD can be very costly..
Don't know much about San Diego, but why did they not build the airport elsewhere like Miramar? I've read about some proposal awhile ago there. Would make more sense and would give SD an economic boost I would think.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Don't know much about San Diego, but why did they not build the airport elsewhere like Miramar? I've read about some proposal awhile ago there. Would make more sense and would give SD an economic boost I would think.
Quote:
The double edge sword of having an airport in Downtown is perfect as far as location goes, but brutal becauses it's so small and it can't expand. The other downside like you mentioned is SD's buildings are short for city of our size. They are also unimaginative or even eye popping, bland and stale is more like it. Seeing massively tall skyscrapers is a sight to behold. It's an incredible feeling walking next to building like that.

Another problem with flying out of SD, is that it's so expensive. There's been many times I had friends drive me up to LAX to fly out of there because I can save a few hundred dollars per flight by flying out of LAX vs SD! So if you're willing to save some money, it's better to go up to L.A. because flying in or out of SD can be very costly..
The buildings are short because it's right next to the airport, and can only be a maximum of 500 feet tall as a result.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:51 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Miramar was ruled out for a lot of reasons, including the fact that the only open land there is still a Navy base.

But the real reason why an international airport will never be built there is that the wealthy citizens of La Jolla, Del Mar, Carmel Valley, Scripps Ranch, etc. would never allow it.

I hate to say it, but I kind of like where our airport is located. It's convenient, and it's nice to get off the plane and be right in downtown in a matter of minutes. Sure, maybe it means I have to make a few connections in LAX to go overseas, but I'm OK with that.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:57 AM

334 posts, read 363,245 times
Quote:
The double edge sword of having an airport in Downtown is perfect as far as location goes, but brutal becauses it's so small and it can't expand.
Is the capacity of SAN considered limiting? I've only flew out of SAN a few times and the airport seems not busy at all, minimal security lines, etc. However I didn't travel during the monday morning rush...

Old 07-02-2016, 01:56 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph_Hotto View Post
And how will Aeromexico allow passengers to connect to other destinations in China? I really think SAN needs to use a Air China 787 and fly 3-4 times a week to PEK.
Can't imagine Aeromexico connecting to other places in China. Unlike JAL and BA, which does a great job connecting to the rest of Europe and Asia. I'm totally with you on the Air China flight. I just read a recent article in the SD Business Journal that mentions a nonstop to China is what they are aiming for next. It also mentioned they're still pursuing a nonstop to South America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snpdragr
Is the capacity of SAN considered limiting? I've only flew out of SAN a few times and the airport seems not busy at all, minimal security lines, etc. However I didn't travel during the monday morning rush...
I think when they talk about capacity, it's the available time slots that planes are allowed to take off. I could be wrong though. With more airlines and destinations being added to SAN, the terminals might start to feel more crowded.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:02 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Can't imagine Aeromexico connecting to other places in China. Unlike JAL and BA, which does a great job connecting to the rest of Europe and Asia. I'm totally with you on the Air China flight. I just read a recent article in the SD Business Journal that mentions a nonstop to China is what they are aiming for next. It also mentioned they're still pursuing a nonstop to South America.

I think when they talk about capacity, it's the available time slots that planes are allowed to take off. I could be wrong though. With more airlines and destinations being added to SAN, the terminals might start to feel more crowded.
It's also the length of the runways, with no easy way for them to be extended. That limits some of the aircraft that can land at SAN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego