Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 07:40 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

Or used to have

Point Loma Residents Protest New Development | NBC 7 San Diego

This thing is talllllllllllllllllllll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 12:44 PM

334 posts, read 363,152 times
What's the loophole used to build it 10ft higher than the limit? The article/vid wasn't clear.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:55 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpdragr View Post
What's the loophole used to build it 10ft higher than the limit? The article/vid wasn't clear.
They piled dirt on one part of the lot, and measured the height from there. (That's from a news video I saw of the issue, and that's one of the neighbors who stated that.)

Old 06-28-2016, 03:18 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
They piled dirt on one part of the lot, and measured the height from there. (That's from a news video I saw of the issue, and that's one of the neighbors who stated that.)
Oddstray is correct. I went out there this weekend to look at it. Essentially, the contractor built a retaining wall on a level lot, filled the area next to the wall with dirt and then measured the building height from this new, artificially created grade level. Into this new grade, the contractor has burrowed into the fill dirt to create "subterranean" parking.

It is clearly an abuse of the intent of the law in regards to the 30 foot height limit, grading, retaining walls, and subterranean parking. It will be interesting to see if the City rolls over for this one too.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:32 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
The code is very clear that it is to be measured from the NATURAL grade, I bump up against this on my projects, especially if the are on slopes. You can't go around piling dirt willy nilly to try to get around this.

I am very surprised that this got through, the reviewers are all sticklers that I get, requiring you to diagram the line that follows the natural grade to its maximum allowable height in several views to ensure the building is not protruding beyond it.

An inspector should catch it now.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:53 PM

401 posts, read 444,578 times
This is just hearsay, but I heard a stop order was issued by the mayor.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:37 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
This is just hearsay, but I heard a stop order was issued by the mayor.
The shutdown was confirmed by K U S I.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:00 PM

387 posts, read 512,033 times
Here's a more up to date video showing the townhall meeting:

Point Loma residents push back against tall project - CBS News 8 - San Diego, CA News Station - KFMB Channel 8

Annnndd, one more bonus video if your a Point Loma resident or just more curious of the neighborhood's voiced opinion.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/32308196/r...ay-is-too-tall

https://youtu.be/rLc-aW3ndfw

Last edited by I Love Buildings; 06-28-2016 at 08:18 PM..

Old 06-28-2016, 09:39 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
The code is very clear that it is to be measured from the NATURAL grade, I bump up against this on my projects, especially if the are on slopes. You can't go around piling dirt willy nilly to try to get around this.

I am very surprised that this got through, the reviewers are all sticklers that I get, requiring you to diagram the line that follows the natural grade to its maximum allowable height in several views to ensure the building is not protruding beyond it.

An inspector should catch it now.
I don't work in the construction/development industry, but I figure you do from your previous posts.

Don't these projects have to be inspected at each phase to prevent this kind of thing? I mean, shouldn't this have been stopped way earlier, when they were building the 'subterranean' garage?

Old 06-28-2016, 09:58 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
I don't work in the construction/development industry, but I figure you do from your previous posts.

Don't these projects have to be inspected at each phase to prevent this kind of thing? I mean, shouldn't this have been stopped way earlier, when they were building the 'subterranean' garage?
It would probably not show up as a problem in the foundation/underfloor inspection, (excavations complete, foundation not yet poured) -all that area is either in or out the ground setbacks, and anything with over 5' of clearance is counted towards the FAR in most zoning areas, finished or not. But during the frame and rough inspection, before insulation and wall cladding is applied, it absolutely would glaringly stand out to any inspector worth his salt. This is what probably happened, either the inspector wasn't paying attention to that maximum height constraint (which is typically the first the thing they look at) or that inspection hadn't taken place yet and the citizen's eagle eyes caught that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: