Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2016, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,029 times

Advertisements

Which is better if you want to move to OC vs SD and you want to live somewhere quiet and safe with lots of nature and outdoor activities. Comute and schools are not a concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 12:15 PM

8,364 posts, read 7,551,420 times
OC is nice and has its own share of scenery, but there are more open and natural places in San Diego County. I've lived here 30 years, and I am still discovering new natural areas to explore without ever leaving the county.

And, since much of San Diego is built on canyons, there are lots of open spaces even in more populated areas. San Diego County's overall housing costs are also a little lower than Orange County, if that is a consideration.

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-02-2016 at 01:06 PM..

Old 07-02-2016, 09:29 PM

521 posts, read 727,960 times
OC has nice areas but I agree with SD. I would look into Bonsall and Fallbrook for the quiet areas with lots of nature. I'm sure there are other areas but those are the only ones I know of.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:48 PM

8,364 posts, read 7,551,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgali View Post
OC has nice areas but I agree with SD. I would look into Bonsall and Fallbrook for the quiet areas with lots of nature. I'm sure there are other areas but those are the only ones I know of.
I'd add in these areas if you want lots of quiet and nature: Palomar Mountain, Ramona, Julian, Santa Ysabel, Descanso, Jamul (I'm biased; this is where I live), Pine Valley, Alpine, Warner Springs, Borrego Springs. These are all very safe and quiet areas where the outdoors is at your back door. There are other areas too, but in general, look towards the eastern parts of San Diego County rather than towards the coast if you want quiet and lots of nature. That's not to say that alone the coast isn't beautiful; it is. But that is also where the crowds are. If you want a combo of easy access to the outdoors, quiet, and more "urban" amenities, then certain areas in Poway, Lakeside, and Santee might work too. The point is: there are plenty of choices in San Diego County. Come for a visit and spend a week or more driving around and you'll find your spot.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:07 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,802,558 times
OC and San Diego county have roughly the same population and San Diego county is five times the size so that should tell you something about available nature.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:35 AM

9,810 posts, read 11,051,276 times
People in south OC are biting their bottom lips right now.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:15 PM

387 posts, read 507,918 times
I think OC does a better job at having a diverse amount of plant/flower life next to the coast. Also there's no Newport Beach in San Diego county. That can be a pro or con depending on what you're looking for.

OP don't exclude Ventura county if you're looking for a coastal life style.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:00 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,742,784 times
Definitely SD for more nature. Just look a the landscape here, tons of hills, canyons and open space compared to OC. Basically anything further East of El Cajon and Santee is pretty much small towns. Same goes for North East county. Fallbrook, Ramona are all very country like and full of open space.

OC is a lot like L.A. in terms of how it's developed and it's landscape. Everything is flat, and dense for being mostly suburban. No open wilderness rural spots like in SD. SD has a lot of rural and semi-rural area's scattered all throughout the city and county that it makes you wonder sometimes did planners forget to add sidewalks, and street lights in certain places or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego