Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 07:09 PM

440 posts, read 534,186 times

Advertisements

No badges but...we drove over this morning at 10:00 and parked in a 3 hour space by the Maritime Museum (there were plenty of spaces) then walked all the way down through Seaport Village to the Embarcadero. It looked like regular tourists until we got to Seaport Village, where we started seeing badges and the first few cosplayers. It didn't seem like ConX was doing anything yet so we didn't go in.

Proceeded all the way down past the lines waiting for Lego and more, then the Adult Swim area, Entertainment Weekly, etc. Ended up at the ComicConHQ venue at the Bayfront Hilton, where they were encouraging people to line up to see "the casts of Con Man, Outcast, and Game of Thrones". No badge required or, surprisingly, bag checks, although there was plenty of security. Line wasn't bad so we tried it out and were inside the courtyard in 20 minutes. Sat down for 10 minutes and lo and behold there was Nathan Fillian and the rest of the cast of his show in a panel. They were there for about 20 minutes or so, followed by Ser Davos and the latest Bran. After that they said the trailer for Wonder Woman had just premiered over in Hall H and we could now see it right where we were - so we did.

After all that excitement we headed back to the car, passing lots more cosplay. Thor and Sif were posing for photos at the foot of the stairs when a ComicCon handler came to take them away. So they must have been official rather than just fan cosplay. They were very gracious and continued to stop and pose as they walked up to the Marriot. I followed along, thinking "I'm walking with Thor!"

Got to admit, though, this gave me the biggest laugh:

[CENTER]SaveSaveSave[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 07:13 PM

480 posts, read 418,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post
No badges but...we drove over this morning at 10:00 and parked in a 3 hour space by the Maritime Museum (there were plenty of spaces) then walked all the way down through Seaport Village to the Embarcadero. It looked like regular tourists until we got to Seaport Village, where we started seeing badges and the first few cosplayers. It didn't seem like ConX was doing anything yet so we didn't go in.

Proceeded all the way down past the lines waiting for Lego and more, then the Adult Swim area, Entertainment Weekly, etc. Ended up at the ComicConHQ venue at the Bayfront Hilton, where they were encouraging people to line up to see "the casts of Con Man, Outcast, and Game of Thrones". Line wasn't bad so we tried it out and were inside the courtyard in 20 minutes. Sat down for 10 minutes and lo and behold there was Nathan Fillian and the rest of the cast of his show in a panel. They were there for about 20 minutes or so, followed by Ser Davos and the latest Bran. After that they said the trailer for Wonder Woman had just premiered in Hall H and we could see it too - so we did.

After all that excitement we headed back to the car, passing lots more cosplay. Thor and Sif were posing for photos at the foot of the stairs when a ComicCon handler came to take them away. So they must have been official rather than just fan cosplay. They were very gracious and continued to stop and pose as they walked up to the Marriot. I followed along, thinking "I'm walking with Thor!"

Got to admit, though, this gave me the biggest laugh:

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Why wait in such long lines? It makes no sense and is not very healthy. Going for a run along the beach is cardio and good for your health. Waiting in lines for hours? That's crazy. We need to be more productive.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:26 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
Comic con is unnecessary, boring, weird, superficial, chaotic, and it creates a hassle for commute and doesn't mesh with the laid back attitude of San Diego. Even the uber drivers hate it. It should be moved to LA or miami which already has bad traffic. Better yet, move it to hawaii.

We've already gotten our rights trounced with that attitude. For some running on the beach is boring. Me? I like to hunt and fish which is under severe pressure right now to eliminate it.

tol·er·ance
ˈtäl(ə)rəns/Submit
noun
the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:34 PM

440 posts, read 534,186 times
Agree I would never had waited in those lines had I a badge. But we had a nice four mile walk altogether along the lovely waterfront, and only waited 20 minutes to see a few actors whom I actually knew about. And got entertained and amused along the way. Yes, I would have rather seen Kit Harington and Chris Hemsworth, but I'm happy with our nearly free day.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:14 PM

480 posts, read 418,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

We've already gotten our rights trounced with that attitude. For some running on the beach is boring. Me? I like to hunt and fish which is under severe pressure right now to eliminate it.

tol·er·ance
ˈtäl(ə)rəns/Submit
noun
the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with.
Not true. Running is extremely healthy and it will help reduce the embarrassing obesity rate in America which will in turn reduce health insurance costs. Hunting and fishing does nothing but hurt other animals. Yikes!

Tolerance is irrelevant when it comes to killing animals in the name of hunting and superficiality in the name of comic con. Celebrities are imperfect humans just like everyone else. I don't understand the obsession with it neither do I have to tolerate it.

Last edited by Opt_10; 07-23-2016 at 08:29 PM..

Old 07-23-2016, 08:49 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Comic con is unnecessary, boring, weird, superficial, chaotic, and it creates a hassle for commute and doesn't mesh with the laid back attitude of San Diego. Even the uber drivers hate it. It should be moved to LA or miami which already has bad traffic. Better yet, move it to hawaii.
You may not like it, but over 100,000 others do, and they take priority. I don't know what Uber drivers told you that they don't like it, because all of the Uber and Lyft drivers that I've come in contact with love it. It brings them more business.

If you don't like Comic Con in San Diego, you need to reconsider your move because it's here to stay, whether you like it or not.

Last edited by moved; 07-23-2016 at 09:09 PM..

Old 07-23-2016, 09:51 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
. . .
Tolerance is irrelevant when it comes to . . . .
Tolerance is never irrelevant. Tolerance is part of minimal human decency. </soapbox>

(Ya' never know - some day you'll hope someone is tolerant of you, though you don't make it easy.)

Old 07-23-2016, 10:41 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Tell me again. How long have you been living in San Diego to be such an expert on San Diego?

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-23-2016 at 10:50 PM..

Old 07-23-2016, 10:48 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Comic Con gives a big boost to San Diego each year, data shows

The annual comic book confab that sees thousands of fan boys and girls descend on the city of San Diego—often in full costumed regalia—is big business for the city's nearly $10 billion tourist industry.

The San Diego Comic Convention (SDCC), otherwise known as Comic-Con, is widely considered to be the premier event of its kind, where tickets often sell out in minutes. According to Miro Copic, a marketing professor at San Diego State University who recently crunched the numbers, this year's SDCC is expected to have a whopping $150 million in economic impact on the region, representing an injection of at least $80 million in direct spending.

"Comic Con is very important to San Diego," Copic told CNBC adding that it was also the largest convention of the year for the city.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:24 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
To call Comic Con "unnecessary" is an exercise in futility. First of all, the city's coffers disagree — strongly!

Second, one is not required to be a part of it. Stay away from downtown and you're fine.

Third, being a hater for the sake of being a hater (which I've noticed on these boards across various threads) just makes you look stupid.

Everything is "unnecessary" except oxygen, water, food and shelter, right? Throw away those smartphones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego