Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 01:36 PM

42 posts, read 114,928 times

Advertisements

Hi. First, I'm not here to get slammed. I grew up in Los Angeles. I moved to Minneapolis eight years ago because of a job relocation with my, now, ex husband. I understand CA's crazy cost of living.

Of course, my heart was left in California. I want to come home. I don't want to live in LA; it's way too crowded and smoggy. How is San Diego? Last time I went, it was great. But what's the real deal? Is the air clean? How affordable is it? Out here in MN, if you're willing to drive into work from a first or second ring suburb you can do pretty well.

Here's my situation: WINTER SUCKS!!!!!! Healthcare is NOT COVERED for my kids through the school district I work for as a teacher, so I'm paying an extra $8000 a year (premiums, doctor visits, prescriptions--these are high deductible plans that will not kick in till you pay the full deductible) for their healthcare. They are also both set to get braces so that is yet another, barely covered, expense. I own a home (paid $140k for a 3bdrm/1bath, 1500sqft home) and still have about 120k left to pay on that. If I sold it, I'd come in with about 40k because the property has appreciated. If I rented it, I could get about $600 more that the monthly mortgage. If I moved to San Diego, I'd be making a little more, probably near 69k/year and I'd have FULL medical benefits for me and my kids. My car would be nearly paid off and it's still in good shape.

Where are the nicest, family-friendly, affordable areas? I read Chula Vista was one of the less expensive, but still awesome areas of San Diego- is that true?

Or...am I just dreaming and should stay here...??

You don't know. Leaving for work with a NEGATIVE 45 degree windchill in your face and trying to convince your kids it's all good is wearing me thin. Summer is beautiful, lots of nature, cheap gas, nice people, and affordable housing is what keeps me here.

Last edited by theprincefan; 07-16-2016 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 01:58 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,127,116 times
Line up a job first, then look for a place to live, because you could end up with a long, horrible commute to work. And healthcare isn't covered for kids in the school districts here, either.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:02 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,966,580 times
Agree with moved. What type of work will you do? The best health insurance will most likely (but not always) be through a large employer. Hopefully your salary will increase as $140k for a home here will get you exactly zip.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:24 PM

42 posts, read 114,928 times
Sorry, I wasn't clear about my job. I'm a teacher. When I worked for LAUSD, the pay was ok, but they covered teachers + all dependents (and spouses). I looked at San Diego Unified and it seems they cover employees and family too. Out here, I'm covered for $60/month but I pay nearly $800 / month between premiums, kid dr visits, and prescriptions like my daughter's asthma inhalers which are not covered. I make 65k here but after insurance, I lose a lot. In CA, I think it's the norm that families get coverage through school district employers.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:29 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,966,580 times
Hopefully a teacher(s) in the area will see this and chime in.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:39 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,127,116 times
Rosie will be able to provide you with more advice regarding teaching. If you're a teacher, get a contract first, if you don't want to do that, you can move and work as a sub for more than one district. But keep in mind if you decide to do that, you'll be driving all over San Diego in order to be able to work every day, and you won't have any benefits except a paycheck.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:12 PM

8,364 posts, read 7,551,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theprincefan View Post
How is San Diego? Last time I went, it was great. But what's the real deal? Is the air clean? How affordable is it?
In most parts of the county, the air is clean compared to most parts of Los Angeles. It won't be as clean as MN.

How affordable is it? That depends on your definition of affordable. The median price for a single family home is hovering around $540,000. If you want to be in "the best" school district, want a newer home, or need to be close to the North County for work, expect to pay more - sometimes MUCH more - than the median.

If you're OK with living inland, an older SFH that needs a bit of TLC, you'll have more options. If you are OK with a condo or townhome instead of single family home, you will also have more options.

Regarding Chula Vista, the area east of the 805 is an area of mainly new tract home developments, and it is very nice. It is also the more expensive part of Chula Vista -- expect to pay close to the median or more in that area for a single family home. West of the 805 is the "older" part of Chula Vista with older (think 1940s - 1970s) homes in settled neighborhoods. It is a less desirable area in many people's minds for various reasons, but you can find SFHs in that area below the median if you are OK with a smaller home (i.e, 1500 square feet or less). You may need to slice and dice the schools though to find the best options. Nearby Bonita is also very nice.

But there are many other family friendly areas in San Diego. A lot depends on where you will be working. Moved is 100% correct that the first step is to find a job, and then figure out where to live. San Diego County is very spread out, and has terrible rush hour traffic in some areas. You don't want to buy a house then get the job as you could end up looking at a one hour or more daily commute each way.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:16 PM

Regarding teaching salaries and health benefits, it may work out better to work for a district that pays more and offers a lower cost family plan than to work for a district that pays less but provides health insurance. So, you have to weigh the bottom line carefully.

This article might be a helpful starting point as it compares SD Unified to other large districts in the county of San Diego:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...pay-stacks-up/

Keep in mind that we have MANY school districts (actually 42!) within the county of San Diego, each with its own weird little quirks and way of doing things. You can get a map showing all the school districts here: http://www.sdcoe.net/about-sdcoe/pag...districts.aspx

Of course, you'll want to use a site like Edjoin.org to get a sense of which districts may be hiring teachers in your grade/subject and what actual salaries might be for teachers with your experience.

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-16-2016 at 03:31 PM..

Old 07-16-2016, 03:33 PM

Also, you might want to look into southern Riverside County, specifically the Temecula and Murietta areas. Home prices are less expensive there than many parts of San Diego County, it's a great family friendly area, they have some terrific schools, and some of the districts in that area are actively recruiting for teachers.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:42 PM

21,564 posts, read 16,072,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theprincefan View Post
You don't know. Leaving for work with a NEGATIVE 45 degree windchill in your face ...
Actually, I do know. Grew up there. By Como Lake in St. Paul Uncle Sam sent me out here to San Diego in the mid-60's. Later several other bases around California - and overseas. Since service, lived most my California time in the Bay and Delta up north. Couple years ago I got inspired to come back down south to SD.

I get it. 50 years after leaving that god-forsaken weather I have never forgotten it for a minute ... But wait! We haven't even begun talking about the mosquitoes! (Or 'hot-dish' gourmet dining!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego