Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:28 PM

35 posts, read 91,219 times

Advertisements

that looks close enough i could ride my bike to coronado. it looks like there are parks in the area--any idea if some areas are nicer/little kid friendly. My boys are almost 2 and 5. I'm looking WEST of Genesee, but how about
in relation to jutlund (should i look north or south), clairemont mesea blvd, and clairemont dr (should i look east or west?)
thanks
jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 12:38 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
that looks close enough i could ride my bike to coronado. it looks like there are parks in the area--any idea if some areas are nicer/little kid friendly. My boys are almost 2 and 5. I'm looking WEST of Genesee, but how about
in relation to jutlund (should i look north or south), clairemont mesea blvd, and clairemont dr (should i look east or west?)
thanks
jim
Clairemont is nice but you probably won't want to send your kids to school there either (aside from perhaps Longfellow)

If schools matter and you need to send them to the local school, pick your location based on the school not the other way 'round.

For Clairemont the west and north sides are best.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:41 PM

Default really--then it is mission hills i guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Clairemont is nice but you don't want to send your kids to school there either.

If schools matter and you need to send them to the local school, pick your location based on the school.

For Clairemont the west and north sides are best.
i can't see biking in from much north of the mt soledad area. i can't believe the elementary schools are that bad--amazing.

is pt loma bad too?

jim

Old 02-12-2008, 12:45 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Just north of Clairemont is University City, which I believe has better schools. I don't have kids, but I would think that schools in Point Loma are satisfactory. Point Loma High School is good and I can only imagine that the elementary schools feeding into it are good, also.

Have you considered Coronado since that is where you will be working?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:46 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
i can't see biking in from much north of the mt soledad area. i can't believe the elementary schools are that bad--amazing.

is pt loma bad too?

jim
Point Loma has good elementaries, the middle and high schools are OK too.

One thing you will find is that middle-class areas in SD have poor schools, only the wealthy areas have good schools.

I strongly recommend that you think outside the box on schools in SDUSD and look at magnets and charters. Otherwise If you want good neighborhood schools relatively close to the city, look at University City, Del Cerro, Allied Gardens, Point Loma, Tierrasanta. Oh and of course Coronado has great schools. Just follow the money

Old 02-12-2008, 01:25 PM

Default does magnet/charter apply to elementary school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I strongly recommend that you think outside the box on schools in SDUSD and look at magnets and charters.
thanks
jim

Old 02-12-2008, 01:28 PM

Default thanks all, i got side-tracked into possibly buying

i guess i an saw this as an opportunity to perhaps buy in clairemont. it would be nice to get into a place now for when i retire in 2016. with fuels costs and energy etc, san diego seems a great place to be for the future. i can rent in mission hills or maybe la jolla area. i have not seen anything affordable with good sq ft in coronado to even rent. i was hoping to stay away from driving--it would be weird that the only place i may be forced to drive in the last 10 years will be most environmental place i've been stationed.

jim

Old 02-12-2008, 05:05 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Personally, I like Clairemont, and would recommend it to anyone.

Clairemont has two zip codes: 92111 and 92117. The dividing line is Balboa Ave. 92117 is often referred to as North Clairemont, and 92111 as South Clairemont.

I can't speak for the quality of the schools, but the neighborhood itself is a nice middle-class area. The section of Clairemont I like most is near Balboa Ave and Genesee Ave. There is a large shopping area here, with a Target, Home Depot, several supermarkets, and lots of smaller stores and restaurants.

One of the nicest sections of Clairemont, very close to Balboa and Genesee is known as the "Mount" streets. It is located just SE of the B&G intesection. The single-family homes average from around $450K-$600K. They are mostly well-kept, and in very good condition. Most are ranch-style L-shaped, one story homes, typically with 2-car garages.

Here is a post which I wrote about Clairemont:

Best San Diego Neighboods - and why?

Old 02-12-2008, 05:42 PM

Default thanks--that is helpful

[quote=RD5050;2808171]Personally, I like Clairemont, and would recommend it to anyone.

Clairemont has two zip codes: 92111 and 92117. The dividing line is Balboa Ave. 92117 is often referred to as North Clairemont, and 92111 as South Clairemont.One of the nicest sections of Clairemont, very close to Balboa and Genesee is known as the "Mount" streets.quote]

if you spot little kids on certain streets let me know so i can narrow my house hunt focus.

jim

Old 02-13-2008, 12:02 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
The "Mount" streets area I mentioned is filled with young children. There is a large elementary school at Mt. Brundage Ave and Mt. Ararat Dr.

Here is the exact location on Yahoo Maps:

Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

Here is an aerial overhead:

Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego