Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 10:51 AM

10 posts, read 16,966 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a job offer to transfer to San Diego from New Mexico. The office is located in Mission Valley and I don't want a long commute, although I love North County, as I lived there back in the late 80's, early 90's. Since its been a long time since I've been to SD, I'd appreciate suggestions for a safe, quiet area in SD that wouldn't entail a long commute.

These are the requirements:

1. Commute less than 20 minutes.
2. Low crime, quiet area
3. Range of $2000-$2200 rent (although I would consider buying if it was a good deal)
4. No pets (I work a lot)
5. Either a large 1 BR (min. 800 sq. feet) or 2-3 BR (house, condo or apt.)
6. In unit washer dryer
7. Garage or secured parking area close to unit
8. Peaceful setting

I'm not into a nightlife, but nearby attractions like good shopping, theater, cultural events would be nice, although I suspect those attractions are near anywhere in SD.

I really prefer a smaller complex than huge apartment/condo complexes.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Atheling2; 07-31-2016 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Add information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 11:52 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Have you read through this thread already? It has lots of good insight on many different areas in San Diego County, from the folks who live there:

What do you like about where you live in SD County?

Since you'll be working in Mission Valley, you might start there. Mission Valley has really developed since you lived here last, and there are a lot of new apartment and condo complexes in that area now. If you want a more suburban area, you could try these areas: Allied Gardens, Del Cerro, Kearny Mesa, Clairemont Mesa, Tierrasanta, La Mesa, Rancho San Diego, Santee. Normal Heights, North Park, Kensington, Talmadge, Hillcrest, South Park the College area around SDSU, and even Little Italy might also work well if you want a more urban neighborhood versus more suburban. If you want to be near the beach, try Point Loma or possibly North Pacific Beach. But read through the thread above, and you'll probably find lots of other good ideas too.

Your budget would be realistic for all of these areas, especially if you are OK with an apartment versus a house.

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-31-2016 at 12:01 PM..

Old 07-31-2016, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did read some threads but I don't know the commute time for these areas as I know traffic is horrendous in some. I'll start with the places you listed.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheling2 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I did read some threads but I don't know the commute time for these areas as I know traffic is horrendous in some. I'll start with the places you listed.
Think in rings. Get a map and find where you will be working. Then see where the areas I mentioned are located in relation to that. I am guessing (and I know that someone will correct me if I am wrong) but the longest commutes/worst traffic would probably be from Rancho San Diego, Tierrasanta, Santee, and possibly Little Italy and Hillcrest. But, even with traffic, even they would be within 20 minutes of Mission Valley. Closest to MV would be MV itself (natch!), Normal Heights, Kensington, Allied Gardens, the College area, and Del Cerro.

Of course, MV is pretty spread out, so it will depend on where in MV you'll be working -- towards the eastern edge, or the western edge. Good luck with your search!

Old 07-31-2016, 01:15 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Commute to MV from Tierrasanta won't be bad. But from Santee it'll probably exceed your 20 minute wish because traffic westbound on SR-52 is pretty slow in the mornings and I don't know of any quicker alternatives.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:38 PM

Thank you! It's MV east. I'll research the areas near it!

Old 07-31-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheling2 View Post
Thank you! It's MV east. I'll research the areas near it!
Those would probably be: Del Cerro, Allied Gardens, the College area, Lake Murray area, Normal Heights, Kensington, Talmadge, and, of course, MV itself. A lot of the newer condo developments in MV are more towards Qualcomm Stadium, so you could be 5 minutes or so from work and take only back streets if you land in that area. But the other areas won't be far from there either. If you're coming from the west, you will be going against traffic on 8 to some extent. So, I wouldn't rule out places like Little Italy, Point Loma, etc. Really, working in MV gives you lots of options. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Old 07-31-2016, 02:28 PM

I found this post which is very informative, but it was posted about 8 years ago. Would you consider it still accurate:

Several posters who are planning to move to SD (like me) have asked about good and not-so-good areas in SD with respect to crime, noise, etc. There is a wealth of information on this forum as well as other websites, but it can be difficult and time-consuming to get an overall picture. To get a better understanding, I grouped what I have found out about many areas of SD county into several categories. Since the groupings could be of value to others moving to SD, I would like to share them here on C-D forum. I realize that everyone's idea of "nice" area is somewhat different, but there is surely some common ground. Hope you find this somewhat useful, and I hope I did not screw anything up too badly - please remember that I am (still) not a San Diegan.

Central SD - inner areas:
Gang injunction areas: None.
Other undesirable areas: City Heights neighborhoods of Teralta East, Teralta West, Colina Del Sol, Castle, Fairmont Village, Swan Canyon, Fox Canyon, Isenlair, Chollas Creek, Ridgeview/Webster.
A bit dumpy and rough, but OK: North Park, Normal Heights (south of Adams), El Cerrito, East Village, City Heights neighborhoods of Corridor, Cherokee Point, Fairmount Park, Hollywood Park, Darnall, Oak Park.
A bit noisy, but OK: College East and West (near SDSU), properties on ECB and University Ave outside of City Heights, areas in Downtown SD (e.g. Gaslamp).
Nicer, quieter areas: Bankers Hill/Park West, Little Italy, Middletown, Hillcrest, University Heights, South Park, Golden Hill, Normal Heights (north of Adams), Burlingame, Rolando, Old Town.
Affluent areas: Mission Hills, Kensington, Talmadge.

Central SD - outer areas:
Gang injunction areas: Linda Vista.
Other undesirable areas: None.
A bit dumpy and rough, but OK: parts of Mission Valley.
A bit noisy, but OK: parts of Mission Valley, Pacific Beach (especially near coast), Mission Beach.
Nicer, quieter areas: Ocean Beach, Clairemont, Kearny Mesa, Bay Park, Bay Ho, Serra Mesa, Birdland, Tierrasanta, San Carlos, Allied Gardens, University City.
Affluent areas: Point Loma, La Jolla, Del Cerro.

Southeast SD:
Gang injunction areas: National City, Barrio Logan, Logan Heights, Memorial, Lincoln Park, Valencia Park, south Encanto, north Bay Terraces, Skyline, Jamacha-Lomita, Alta Vista.
Other undesirable areas: Grant Hill, Stockton, Chollas View, Mountain View, Southcrest, Shelltown, south Spring Valley (La Presa).
A bit dumpy and rough, but OK: Emerald Hills, north Encanto, Paradise Hills, south Bay Terraces, Lemon Grove, Spring Valley (older areas).
A bit noisy, but OK: None.
Nicer, quieter areas: Spring Valley (Casa de Oro, Rancho SD, Dictionary Hill).
Affluent areas: None.

East County:
Gang injunction areas: None.
A bit dumpy and rough, but OK: El Cajon (older areas in flats).
Nicer, quieter areas: Santee, Lakeside, La Mesa (especially Mt. Helix), El Cajon (Bostonia, Granite Hills, Fletcher Hills).
Affluent areas: None.

South Bay:
Gang injunction areas: Nestor, Egger Highlands.
Other undesirable areas: Chula Vista (Northwest, near the 5), Otay Mesa West (near Main), San Ysidro.
A bit dumpy and rough, but OK: Imperial Beach, Chula Vista (other parts west of the 805).
Nicer, quieter areas: Bonita, Eastlake (Chula Vista east of the 805).
Affluent areas: Coronado.

North County - coastal:
Gang injunction areas: Oceanside (Eastside, Crown Heights, Libby Lake).
Other undesirable areas: Oceanside (Back Gate aka Deep Valley aka Mesa Margarita - near intersection of Vandegrift Blvd. at N. River Rd.).
A bit dumpy and rough, but OK: Oceanside (older downtown areas).
A bit noisy, but OK: Oceanside (downtown areas near train and coast).
Nicer, quieter areas: Oceanside (newer areas, e.g. Fire Mountain), Carlsbad (especially La Costa and Calavera Hills), Encinitas, Solana Beach.
Affluent areas: Del Mar.

North County - inland:
Gang injunction areas: Vista (between Santa Fe Ave. and railroad), San Marcos (around Rancho Santa Fe Rd. between Mission Rd. and San Marcos Blvd.), Escondido (area bordered by Grand, Escondido, Lincoln and Midway streets; area bordered by Grand, Juniper, Felicitas and Upas streets).
A bit dumpy and rough, but OK: Escondido (other older central areas).
A bit noisy, but OK: Mira Mesa (especially busier streets).
Nicer, quieter areas: Vista (Sycamore, Shadowridge, Buena Creek, Alta Vista, etc.), San Marcos (San Elijo Hills, Santa Fe Hills, Discovery Hills, etc.), Escondido (newer southwest, southeast and northern areas), Poway, Rancho PQ, Scripps Ranch, Ramona, Carmel Valley, Sorrento Valley.
Affluent areas: Rancho Bernardo/4S, Rancho Santa Fe.

Last edited by Atheling2; 07-31-2016 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 07-31-2016, 02:42 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
No, it's outdated. I live in Barrio Logan, and haven't seen anyone resembling a gang member yet. But we do have hookers......

Old 07-31-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
No, it's outdated. I live in Barrio Logan, and haven't seen anyone resembling a gang member yet. But we do have hookers......
Moved is correct. A lot has changed in the last 10 years. Some areas that were "rough" are now quite gentrified and very popular. And some of the areas listed as "nice and quiet" are no longer so nice. Some of the categories still hold true, but of course, one person's definition of "rough" and "nice" may be different than another person's definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego