Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 01:51 PM

440 posts, read 534,186 times

Advertisements

With only four days, it would be best to stay in the San Diego area rather than attempt all day excursions further afield.

Admission to Cabrillo National Monument (my favorite destination for visitors) is now $10/carload. However, if any senior member of the group (over age 62) has a National Parks lifetime Senior Pass, admission will be free. If not, you should be able to purchase the pass for $10 at the entrance gate with proof of age.
Quote:
Who is admitted with a Senior Pass? The Senior Pass admits pass owner/s and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per-vehicle fee areas and pass owner + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, where per-person fees are charged. (Children under 16 are always admitted free.)
You drive right through Rosecrans National Cemetary on the way to Cabrillo Point, very easy to park on the side of the road for a few minutes to honor the fallen if so desired.

While on the Point Loma peninsula, it might be fun to stop in downtown Ocean Beach to enjoy the eclectic 60's vibe, pier, and surfing culture. If lines aren't too long, Hodads might be fun for lunch. Avoid the area later on Wednesday afternoons because the weekly farmer's market makes parking near impossible. However, the Saturday market in Little Italy and the Sunday market in Hillcrest might be worth exploring - blocks and blocks of vendors, roughly one-third produce, one-third food stands, and one-third crafts etc.

The USS Midway tour is fascinating even if you have no interest in military history. Kids seem to love climbing around all the staircases and corridors. Touristy as it is, kids enjoy Seaport Village and there are great views. And a carousel. It should be walkable from the Midway if you want to do both.

Agree with Birch Aquarium (can see it all in a couple of hours) and La Jolla et al. We were there a couple of days ago with a visiting sister-in-law, and there were no sea lions in the Children's Pool; they were all in the cove proper. La Jolla Shores is a very nice beach that fronts on a park.

Absolutely save some time to see more of Balboa Park. If you arrive when the zoo opens, you can park fairly close and won't need to move the car to see the rest of the park; everything is in walking distance. We noticed this week that they are now renting bicycle surreys right near the fountain; haven't yet seen an 8 year old who doesn't love surreys. San Diego - Balboa Park | Wheel Fun Rentals One of the less well known museums in Balboa Park is the Model Railroad Museum - SDMRM - San Diego Model Railroad Museum. The dioramas are very nostalgic for those of us who remember railroad travel, and kids are fascinated by the scale models. The last room is a huge treat to see.

Torrey Pines Park and Beach are stunning natural beauties, but not every 8 year old appreciates that. She probably would get a big kick out of Belmont Park at Mission Beach; it's a mini amusement park with a carousel, roller coaster, mini golf course, and much more.

Re dining, a favorite for families is Corvette Diner in Liberty Station. If you've ever had a black light poster, you'll appreciate it. There's a kid-friendly arcade attached to the restaurant. Also in Liberty Station is a very good and different Italian restaurant, Solare. In Little Italy itself, we like Trattoria Fantastica, especially the tables on the back patio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 02:20 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Great suggestions Catwarmer.

Just a note about Sunset Cliffs, should you happen to go there. It is a beautiful place to watch the sunset but be extra extra cautious about getting too close to the edge of the cliffs or climbing down them with an 8 year old, even if you see others doing so. Every year, people fall off the cliffs or are otherwise injured there. This year, we've already had 4 deaths and several injuries. That doesn't mean don't go there --- it is a must see for most visitors -- but obey the signs, use common sense, keep an eye on your grand-daughter, and don't assume that because other people are "on the edge" you should be too.

One last thing, the San Diego Visitor's Bureau has put together an excellent resource page for visitors, where you will find tons of useful information on everything to see and do in San Diego County: The Official Travel Resource for the San Diego Region

If you click on the "offers" link, you can also search for discount coupons for many attractions in San Diego. Usually, you can find a discount admission coupon for the zoo there, but check on the zoo's website as well. The discount coupons will save you some money on admissions. If you are an AAA or AARP member, many of the attractions and some restaurants also offer discounts as well, so don't hesitate to ask.

Have a wonderful trip, and happy 70th birthday!

Old 08-05-2016, 02:31 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWarmer View Post
You drive right through Rosecrans National Cemetary on the way to Cabrillo Point, very easy to park on the side of the road for a few minutes to honor the fallen if so desired.
You recommended this alot better than I did, I made it sound like any ole tourist destination. No disrespect intended on my part to our fallen

Old 08-05-2016, 02:54 PM

264 posts, read 250,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Just a note about Sunset Cliffs, should you happen to go there. It is a beautiful place to watch the sunset but be extra extra cautious about getting too close to the edge of the cliffs or climbing down them with an 8 year old, even if you see others doing so. Every year, people fall off the cliffs or are otherwise injured there. This year, we've already had 4 deaths and several injuries. That doesn't mean don't go there --- it is a must see for most visitors -- but obey the signs, use common sense, keep an eye on your grand-daughter, and don't assume that because other people are "on the edge" you should be too.
Well said. The waves can also be very dangerous there, so you don't want to get in the water. The last fatality was because a man jumped in to cool off and the waves and rocks together were a fatal combination.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:19 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
Thanks San Diego City Data Forum members. You are great.

My wife is amazed as to such great help in such a short time after posting.

I hope that if you visit San Antonio, we are as accommodating to you .

WilGar

Last edited by WilGar; 08-05-2016 at 05:13 PM..

Old 08-05-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
You recommended this alot better than I did,
It's only because I've been listening to too many political speeches lately so the phrase popped into my head!

Love San Antonio; spent a great vacation once at Hyatt Hill Country, mostly on the lazy river.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:54 PM

14,309 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
For your daughter, you may try Legoland, Sea World or sneak off to LA for the day to Disney Land.
I think you mean, OC for Disneyland.

The Zoo has always been a hit with my kids. The Safari Park (satellite of the Zoo) is fantastic too, but it is inland where it gets extremely hot in the summer. The Zoo is closer to the coast, has more shade, and is likely to be more pleasant right now. Take the bus tour.

Whale watching has been extremely popular with our visitors from out of state. At this time of the year, you are likely to see humpback and blue whales. And lots of dolphins! I like Dana Wharf Sportfishing for whale watching, but it is in South OC so may be a little far for you to go. I'm sure there are great tours in San Diego as well.

Last edited by saibot; 08-05-2016 at 05:29 PM..

Old 08-05-2016, 05:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think you mean, OC for Disneyland.

The Zoo has always been a hit with my kids. The Safari Park (satellite of the Zoo) is fantastic too, but it is inland where it gets extremely hot in the summer. The Zoo is closer to the coast, has more shade, and is likely to be more pleasant. Take the bus tour.

Whale watching has been extremely popular with our visitors from out of state. At this time of the year, you are likely to see humpback and blue whales. And lots of dolphins! I like Dana Wharf Sportfishing for whale watching, but it is in South OC so may be a little far for you to go. I'm sure there are great tours in San Diego as well.
X2.

Disneyland also has California Adventure next door. Up the road a bit is Knotts Berry Park, the first themed amusement park.

One thing is add is that in OC we also now have the new Indoor Great Wolf Lodge Water Park, California's only indoor water park. Pretty impressive.

Greatwolf.com/southern-California

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 08-05-2016 at 05:35 PM..

Old 08-05-2016, 05:51 PM

Since OP is coming to San Diego for a fairly short trip and to show the city to family, it makes no sense to spend half the time in OC. There's really no easy way to do a day trip to Disneyland from San Diego because of travel times.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:56 PM

381 posts, read 344,681 times
Balboa Park museums. LEGOLAND. Beaches. All good spots for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego