Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 07:26 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,178,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
...El Cajon="El Cochino" "El Ca-Jon".
For some reason, this comes to mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tvbbsjQaMs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 09:16 PM

511 posts, read 625,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ok, how about Bay Park
I grew up in Bay Park, and that was some time ago...92110...That name's been around a long time. Do you know where Bay Ho is? It's north of Bay Park along Morena Blvd just above 5 on the hills south of Costco overlooking De Anza Cove. You see, if you grew up in Bay Park, you did NOT want to be confused with anyone who was just up the hill off Milton in Clairemont, and if you were from Bay Ho, that was a step up from Bay Park, and it was essential that you not be confused with someone from Bay Park. Hehehehehe....

As for "East La Jolla" for Clairemont! Huh? ~ ~ Don't they know there's no life east of 5 ???

Old 09-02-2016, 07:21 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
I grew up in Bay Park, and that was some time ago...92110...That name's been around a long time. Do you know where Bay Ho is? It's north of Bay Park along Morena Blvd just above 5 on the hills south of Costco overlooking De Anza Cove. You see, if you grew up in Bay Park, you did NOT want to be confused with anyone who was just up the hill off Milton in Clairemont, and if you were from Bay Ho, that was a step up from Bay Park, and it was essential that you not be confused with someone from Bay Park. Hehehehehe....

As for "East La Jolla" for Clairemont! Huh? ~ ~ Don't they know there's no life east of 5 ???
Now when you say Bay Ho it's like, oh over there by costco and train tracks

Old 09-02-2016, 12:14 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,296,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Here's the official list...

I have a feeling "NCFUA Subarea II" will get a new name if any housing is ever built there (I have no idea if there are houses there already, but for some reason, I get the feeling not)
Ha. According to that map, I live in "peninsula." A guy at work keeps trying to describe my neighborhood as " Sports Arena"

Old 09-02-2016, 12:26 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,178,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Ha. According to that map, I live in "peninsula." A guy at work keeps trying to describe my neighborhood as " Sports Arena"
The Peninsula Community actually is comprised of a number of individual neighborhoods:
"The Peninsula community is a highly urbanized community, comprised of a number of relatively distinct residential neighborhoods including: Ocean Beach Highlands, Point Loma Highlands Loma Alta, Loma Palisades, Loma Portal, Fleetridge, Roseville, Sunset Cliffs, Wooded Area, La Playa, Roseville and the former Naval Training Center renamed Liberty Station"

see page 8 (figure 3) of the Peninsula Community Plan for a map of the neighborhoods
Attached Thumbnails
All these "new" city names amuse me-screen-shot-2016-09-02-11.25.14  

Old 09-02-2016, 07:25 PM

511 posts, read 625,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Now when you say Bay Ho it's like, oh over there by costco and train tracks
Oh, the poor Ho's!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:18 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
La Jolla aka San Diego. It's not new, but 'upgrading' your location's name is nothing new.
So is Bird Rock an attempt to get away from Pacific Beach or wouldn't La Jolla allow them to use their name?

Old 09-04-2016, 09:19 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
So is Bird Rock an attempt to get away from Pacific Beach or wouldn't La Jolla allow them to use their name?
Quite possibly La Jollan's dubbed that since it was a poorer area at one time during the big commercial fishing days.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:55 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
LOL @ all the Spanish and Italian names of communities.

Same thing here in south FL.
Neighborhoods springing up called "Encantada" for "enchanted" or "delighted"
and "Bay Isles at Tuscany Pointe" "Palma Vista" "Mediterrania" "Tierra Del Rey" and "Villaggio at the Grove"

Now, real estate developers are marketing their high-end condos in a formally crap area of Miami and these condos are located in the "upper east side" of Miami. LOL, sorry, but this isn't New York City, nor will it. ever. be. So, please stop. No one ever has called that area "the upper east side"...like, gimme a break !

I know this is an SD thread, but mildly amaused that the same thing seems to be happeneing there as ppl try to "rebrand" their neighborhoods.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:06 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Default Is Chula Vista still called Chula Vista?

Maybe "De Vista El Chula"?

Anyone remember this from Dr. Demento?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1g8gv7h_S4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego