Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 06:30 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times

Advertisements

I was sitting at my local asian joint ( Pick Up Stix ) the other day and noticed a sign for something similar to SEAMLESS a food delivery website we have in NYC. I forgot the name of it though.

I looked around the restaurant and asked myself how would someone deliver food in my area. There were only two employees in the place.

Do people really use these services out here or are they just starting to emerge ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 09:20 AM

264 posts, read 250,447 times
Was it GrubHub? I see it advertised fairly often here and have used it. Yelp's Eat24 is another I've seen.

I think they are slowly catching on. Would have to do some research to see how successful they are.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:44 AM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
A colleague in our office uses Postmates. They deliver more than just food, he's had them bring us everything from Starbucks, to Jamba Juice, to Ice Cream, and more. It looks like they will also stop at places like Lowes and Office Depot for you.

They usually have some quirky deals too, one time he was ordering Shamrock Shakes from McDonalds for free all afternoon long..., all he had to do was tip the delivery person. The receptionist was like, "what the hell is going on andd who are all these delivery people!!!?"

https://postmates.com/

Old 08-19-2016, 11:11 AM

38 posts, read 48,882 times
I use Doordash pretty frequently, they seem to have the most options.

Compared to NYC the available delivery services in SD are all kind of lackluster but they have been improving in the past couple years. Delivery fees ranging from $2 to $6 seem to be the norm here, which coming from NYC took me a while to get over.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:36 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
We used to use a food delivery service called Peach at work, so I suspect there are a lot of them. With Peach, you signed up, put in your credit card, and every day at 10 am you'd get a text with that day's food offer. If you didn't want it, you did nothing. If you did want it, you'd text YES and at noon, it would be delivered to the office receptionist. You didn't tip and your credit card was charged. Pretty slick.

But wait, your "local Asian joint" is Pick up Sticks?! Come on man.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:12 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
I think you're asking how they would deliver food with only two employees? The restaurant doesn't deliver the food, the company is totally separate. They go to the restaurant, pick up your food, and bring it to you. So the number of employees in the restaurant has no bearing whatsoever on delivery.

I used postemates after surgery for food and other things, they're a great resource if you can't get out and about

Old 08-20-2016, 12:57 PM

762 posts, read 610,845 times
I've tried using GrubHub on late, rainy nights but they make let you take the order say at 10, but the deliveries stop at 10:30. Just keep that in mind if you are someone like me.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
I've tried using GrubHub on late, rainy nights but they make let you take the order say at 10, but the deliveries stop at 10:30. Just keep that in mind if you are someone like me.
Was that in San Diego?

Old 08-22-2016, 01:27 PM

762 posts, read 610,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Was that in San Diego?
No in NJ lol but I imagine it's the same. You may be able to make a GrubHub order, but the company won't end up actually delivering your food.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
No in NJ lol but I imagine it's the same. You may be able to make a GrubHub order, but the company won't end up actually delivering your food.
Huh. They advertise "late night delivery" here so I imagine they deliver later than 10:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: