Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 06:10 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,267,370 times

Advertisements

I know a family relative that is considering a job on Camp Pendleton. He had gotten a job offer for a night job in a commissary and some other on base positions. Though being new to citizen jobs on base I wonder what are the pros and cons of working on a base like Camp Pendleton? Are there any important issues when should think about before taking up such a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 06:45 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,161,332 times
I did it years ago when I lived in the DC area, I worked at Vint Hill Farms Station in Warrenton, VA. At that time you have to have a sticker on your vehicle, stop at security on the way in, and drive slowly while on base.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:58 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,148,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I know a family relative that is considering a job on Camp Pendleton. He had gotten a job offer for a night job in a commissary and some other on base positions. Though being new to citizen jobs on base I wonder what are the pros and cons of working on a base like Camp Pendleton? Are there any important issues when should think about before taking up such a job?
It'll be pretty much like any other job - but absolutely do NOT have any disallowed items on you or in your car when you go on base. If you happen to be pulled over for a random inspection and stuff gets found, it won't go well.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:59 PM

8,367 posts, read 7,566,820 times
My husband has been a civilian employee for the Navy here in San Diego for many years. He started right after leaving the navy. He spent some time working on Camp Pendelton but has spent most of his time on other military facilities here in San Diego.

Working as a civilian employee for the military isn't much different than any other Federal job (or really any job). Your relative is used to the way the military does things, so any cultural/social/security aspects of working on a military base shouldn't require any adjustment.

A major benefit is that your relative may be able to apply his years in the military towards credits towards his civil service retirement pension. It will depend on the job, and if eligble, he'll have to get that set up quickly so that is the number one thing he should be thinking about and asking about now before accepting the position. This explains: Military Service: Is It 'Creditable' Toward Civilian Retirement? : FedSmith.com

Another nice thing about working for the military civil service is that existing civil servants sometimes receive preference for other Federal service jobs, including on other installations around the world, especially if they have prior military service, so (again depending on the job and pay grade) it can offer good opportunities for advancement. Assuming you do a good job, civil service can offer relative job stability as well (bases, facilities and commands can always be downsized, but Camp Pendleton probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon).

Some negatives: pay raises are based on your pay grade, and once you "top out" at the highest pay in your pay grade, you may only receive cost of living salary increases until you are able to get promoted to a job in the next pay grade up. Also, contrary to what a lot of people think, no one ever gets rich working as a civil servant for the military.

A final downside to all Federal jobs is that they are tied to congressional approval of budgets. This usually isn't a big issue, but can have unexpected consequences. Remember a few years ago when Congress couldn't agree on a budget, and all Federal employees were furloughed without pay? Well, that was a definite downside. But, that's only happened once in the many years my husband has been in civil service, so hopefully that was a fluke.

But, given the retirement benefits, the relative job stability, and other factors, a career as a military civil servant can be a satisfying career choice, especially for former military personnel.

My husband has no regrets, and will be retiring in two years at age 62 thanks to his years in the military and civil service.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:50 AM

I worked for the Federal Government for years, and hated every minute of it. I also worked for two different schools district and hated working for them, too. I just don't like being cooped up in an office all day long, and I refuse to put up with the BS, and a** kissing. I was on the OT list, worked OT almost every night, did the work of 2-3 people, and always got passed over for promotions and cash awards. With the high clearances that I held, it was easy for me to get jobs, but I still hated them.

Along with my Social Security, I work event security, and don't have to put up with any of that nonsense. My job is much more enjoyable, and when I'm finished, I don't take any home. I get to work in different places, plus talk and meet people from all over, and I like it much better.

If I don't feel like working, I just don't call in for work, and after working 14-16 hour days at three back to back conventions the month of July with two days off in between each one, I took time off after Comic Con, to rest, as did a lot of people.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:56 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,267,370 times
Thanks for all your information,

I do wonder how different is to work in a federal office compared to other type of offices either state, local, or commercial?

Also for those working in a military base I wonder will the supervisors be very militant minded on the employees or you know act like drill sergeants? I guess those who served in the military in the past won't mind that is unless they hated it back when they were there. Though for those who haven't yet joined the military or similar training will it be too much to handle?

Old 08-30-2016, 02:15 PM

You never know what it's going to be like until you start working. I never had a supervisor that militant minded or acted like a drill sergeant, though.

And, no it's not going to be too much to handle. If your relative waits to long to make a decision, the job will go to someone else, because any type of Federal job is in demand, and other people will snap them up without asking questions. When most people are offered a Federal job, they don't ask questions, they just answer, "yes or no," when asked if they accept the position.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:22 PM

Civilian employees aren't treated like they're in the military when they work as civilians on military bases. You don't have to salute or do push ups every morning.

Although there are exceptions, most civilian employees working on military bases don't directly report to military personnel day to day; they report to civilians like themselves.

That said, you should feel comfortable working with military personnel if you're going to be working on a military base. Even though you may not report to military personnel directly, you'll still have plenty of encounters with them and work closely with them in certain (not all) positions. But, really, members of the military are just people too and just like any other job, there will be people you like and people you don't --- civilian or military.

But, I think you can rest assured that there is a huge difference between working on a military base as a civilian employee and being IN the military.

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-30-2016 at 04:37 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 04:35 PM

50,075 posts, read 46,640,356 times
A buddy of mine in the Marines has the best of both. He is some type of contractor but comes and goes as he pleases. He must be good because they keep bringing him back.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:39 PM

Another thing, as a civilian employee, you are not "enlisting" and making a long term commitment like a member of the military does.

If you don't like your civil service job, you're free to leave at any time and find a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego