Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:15 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,534,907 times

Advertisements

Its not you!
Ive made at lease 2 threads on this issue over the last couple of years, along with a couple of threads on, Hit & run and dui drivers increasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 03:15 PM

82 posts, read 110,837 times
I grew up in LA/OC and have lived here 10 years now, and 2 things I have noticed.

SD drivers are way crazier than LA/OC drivers. Meaning lots of crazy stunts that your jaw drops when you see some jackaholic pull them. Maybe too much traffic up north to pull as many stupid stunts? At first I chalked it off to all the young military types on their crotch rocket or brand new Dodge Challenger. But there too many for it to be just that.

Over the last couple years it has gotten worse, to where you almost see full idiocy daily. Like passing on shoulders on on ramps to beat the line, the 4 lane change cause I planned bad and NEED to get off RIGHT HERE, the slow lane tailgater. And of course the first 15 min of weekend news is all about the idiots who crashed their cars while drunk the night before.

not to mention the road rage happening every half hour. I dont even tangle with anyone, just get outta way, cause you never know who is strapped while driving.

It is not getting better either.... but as for traffic, yes it sucks down here, but its way way way worse up there.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:34 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,379 times
Oh definitely it's true!

More crashes on a daily basis these days, more "crazy" "dangerous" inconsiderate drivers, stupid out of towner drivers that look confused or don't know how to drive, too slow of drivers or way way too fast drivers, I can keep going but you all get the picture.

The most offending vehicles that drive the most reckless are lifted pick ups, and BMW drivers hands down. They are the worst.

The biggest issue that I think has affected SD more than other CA cities is like Eastcoastbias said, we lack a true grid system, this forces everyone onto the freeways. If SD was built like an L.A. or a Houston, or basically every other major city in the country that is grid based, we could at least drive on the streets to get to where we need to go instead constantly having to hop on the 8 or 805 or the 15 to get to the main job centers that reside up north. If you live in the older urban parts of SD, then it's fine, you can pretty much walk or bike everywhere, but once you start migrating out towards the suburbs are where the problems exist. If you live out in NC or EC or even Mira Mesa area, you are forced to take the freeway to get from A to B.

Nothing will change this, the infrastructure of this town has been in place since the 50's-60's for the most part. It's old and needs to blown up and redone, but that will never happen. YES and in many ways it was the leaders before us that built this city and county in an backwards mindset. I understand the canyons are a big part of the problem, but they could have imploded a lot of them just like they did in L.A before they laid out the major interstates and boulevards.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:43 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times
5 FWY and 405 seems to attract the most douches in OC. I have seen a tailgater at 90 MPH on the 5 FWY 1/2 car length.

It's almost becoming a sport like street racing.........road rage.......bring your weapon LOL.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:25 PM

23 posts, read 23,179 times
San Diego has by far the worst drivers I've seen.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:47 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Oh definitely it's true!

More crashes on a daily basis these days, more "crazy" "dangerous" inconsiderate drivers, stupid out of towner drivers that look confused or don't know how to drive, too slow of drivers or way way too fast drivers, I can keep going but you all get the picture.

The most offending vehicles that drive the most reckless are lifted pick ups, and BMW drivers hands down. They are the worst.

The biggest issue that I think has affected SD more than other CA cities is like Eastcoastbias said, we lack a true grid system, this forces everyone onto the freeways. If SD was built like an L.A. or a Houston, or basically every other major city in the country that is grid based, we could at least drive on the streets to get to where we need to go instead constantly having to hop on the 8 or 805 or the 15 to get to the main job centers that reside up north. If you live in the older urban parts of SD, then it's fine, you can pretty much walk or bike everywhere, but once you start migrating out towards the suburbs are where the problems exist. If you live out in NC or EC or even Mira Mesa area, you are forced to take the freeway to get from A to B.

Nothing will change this, the infrastructure of this town has been in place since the 50's-60's for the most part. It's old and needs to blown up and redone, but that will never happen. YES and in many ways it was the leaders before us that built this city and county in an backwards mindset. I understand the canyons are a big part of the problem, but they could have imploded a lot of them just like they did in L.A before they laid out the major interstates and boulevards.
So, your solution is to backfill mission valley?

Old 08-29-2016, 07:10 PM

919 posts, read 789,102 times
Quote:
and BMW drivers hands down. They are the worst.
Yeah they are among the worst.....and you know, with all the reckless drivers out there and the speeds driven I find it very telling that there are certain people here on these threads who's biggest problem is that there are people blocking them from going even faster!

But just to get a smile from the speed demons out there you know who are the slowest drivers? The gold colored cars. I make sure I don't pull behind a gold car

Old 08-29-2016, 07:11 PM

252 posts, read 518,774 times
yes its true.. good observation!

Old 08-29-2016, 08:08 PM

13 posts, read 47,134 times
I have lived here 25 years and a friend and I were both commenting last week how much more aggressive drivers have become. When I first moved here I thought the drivers were kind compared to Miami where I moved from. Now I find that they are quick to cut you off, tailgate at high speeds, and show disregard for left turn signals (since the cameras went away).
I find that I try to avoid the freeways and take surface streets unless I am going very far. I hate to sound age-ist but I think a lot of the aggressive drivers are millennials. There seems to be a lot of "me first" driving. I also notice that most motorcycle drivers exceed the speed limit and weave in and out of traffic. I understand lane splitting but these cyclists are crazy.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:21 PM

3,391 posts, read 2,799,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysdca View Post
I have lived here 25 years and a friend and I were both commenting last week how much more aggressive drivers have become. When I first moved here I thought the drivers were kind compared to Miami where I moved from. Now I find that they are quick to cut you off, tailgate at high speeds, and show disregard for left turn signals (since the cameras went away).
I find that I try to avoid the freeways and take surface streets unless I am going very far. I hate to sound age-ist but I think a lot of the aggressive drivers are millennials. There seems to be a lot of "me first" driving. I also notice that most motorcycle drivers exceed the speed limit and weave in and out of traffic. I understand lane splitting but these cyclists are crazy.
One of the major issues, Way too many folks aren't getting up to speed entering the highway whether there is a light stopping them or they just simply aren't hitting the gas pedal to blend into traffic going 65+. This is a huge potential hazard.

The other issue when you drive the speed limit or a few ticks under you shouldn't be in or by the far left passing lane. This creates a chain reaction of folks passing on the right which can lead to more accidents.

You can probably blame speeders as much as the folks going 60-65 or entering a highway going 40-45 for accidents.

Yes without the grid You must take the highways and some folks just shouldn't be on them whether their vehicles don't permit them (large oversized loads) or they aren't comfortable going 65
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego