Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 09:25 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times

Advertisements

they might be in a big hurry on the freeway, but they sure act as if there are quaaludes in the water supply on surface streets....I love how people at a 4 way stop sign intersection love to out-polite each other (you go first...no you go first...no you go ahead) to the point that nobody moves. I keep on waiting for someone to get out of their car and do a "curtsey" as if they are bowing to the Queen of England.

then there are the Mensa types who have yet to figure out what to do when they are in the right hand lane and approach an intersection with a red light that has a green turn arrow--ready for this, I know this is a difficult concept--you proceed and turn right without stopping (you know, like when you are at an intersection in the left hand lane with a red light and a green left hand turn arrow)....trust me on this one.

Even the taxi drivers here are lame....in almost every other city they are the most aggressive drivers on the road--but not here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Everyone is in a big hurry but they think they will make up time if they drive crazy fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 09:29 AM

44 posts, read 79,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
they might be in a big hurry on the freeway, but they sure act as if there are quaaludes in the water supply on surface streets....I love how people at a 4 way stop sign intersection love to out-polite each other (you go first...no you go first...no you go ahead) to the point that nobody moves. I keep on waiting for someone to get out of their car and do a "curtsy" as if they are bowing to the Queen of England.
I've definitely seen more of the opposite of this. I take a shortcut through Hillcrest to the 8 everyday and there's one street full of stop signs where most drivers don't even slow down to clear an intersection. I'll pull up to the 4 way stop, start to stop, see no one around, then a car will pull up and just blow it like the sign and painted white line were telepathically erased from their brain like an X-Files episode.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:31 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
I've seen people running stop signs as well.....the most notorious one I run into is in East Village at 10th and Island....could be a function of stop sign placement (hidden, or obstructed, behind the branches of a tree).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCkid1994 View Post
I've definitely seen more of the opposite of this. I take a shortcut through Hillcrest to the 8 everyday and there's one street full of stop signs where most drivers don't even slow down to clear an intersection. I'll pull up to the 4 way stop, start to stop, see no one around, then a car will pull up and just blow it like the sign and painted white line were telepathically erased from their brain like an X-Files episode.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:04 PM

1,082 posts, read 833,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
See the idjut on the news this am. Dude is late for his flight so he runs the light and gets T-boned.

By a Cop bada boomp...thanks for playing, we have some nice consolation prizes for you backstage.
This is awesome. Once in a while, justice for the mouth breather happens.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:31 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I've seen people running stop signs as well.....the most notorious one I run into is in East Village at 10th and Island....could be a function of stop sign placement (hidden, or obstructed, behind the branches of a tree).
Yep I know that area well- And its painted all over the road there as well. No excuse.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:19 PM

635 posts, read 746,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
When the freeway is congested the left lane is a driving/not just passing lane, because it's not realistic to expect people to drive only in the other lanes at those times. When traffic is lighter it's appropriate to treat it as a passing lane.
I'm not saying there isn't times the left lane is used as a drive lane but from what I've seen in CA it's used as a drive lane all the time. A lot of accidents are caused by variance of speed and having a slow vehicle in the passing lane forcing other cars to pass on the right adds to the risks of driving. Again simply following basic rules is what we should focus on in this state.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:41 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
I'm not saying there isn't times the left lane is used as a drive lane but from what I've seen in CA it's used as a drive lane all the time. A lot of accidents are caused by variance of speed and having a slow vehicle in the passing lane forcing other cars to pass on the right adds to the risks of driving. Again simply following basic rules is what we should focus on in this state.

The problem is shared- some folks go way too fast (100) and you can't react as quickly as you need to at that speed, but you really have no place on highway going 55-60 or 65mph in the furthest left lane. I am just thankful the weather is typically great because I can't imagine some of these folks on a slippery/snow highway. Its hard enough in perfect conditions. I admit there is stupidity everywhere you go I just think there are a lot of conditions in SD that I mentioned earlier that magnify the stupidity.

The big issue to me there isn't enough patrol which would cut down on the stupidity. Unfortunately it can take a (400 dollar ticket) for someone to learn a lesson and not repeat stupid behavior. I understand the funding issues- its why we need to support infrastructure spending and public services rather than build a stadium for out of town guests.

I've witnessed firsthand it was more important/revenue generating to get a parked car 4 mins. over their allotted time in Del Mar: True story. Rather than ticket a "moving truck" with an oversized open cabin with stuff flying out of it puncturing car tires (mine). (another true story).

Old 08-31-2016, 04:03 PM

264 posts, read 250,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
Agreed. I'm usually only on the freeway during rush hour, so to me it is a drive lane all the time with few exceptions.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:18 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Yesterday AM from Poway to Encinitas there must have been more cars than ever at 0600. A few trucks going way over 90. Makes me cringe just thinking of them losing control at that speed. CHP nonexistent. When I grew up you could not drive 10 miles without seeing a CHP cruiser on the freeway.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:27 AM

111 posts, read 112,887 times
Its not just California. Stupid driving is seen as a contest now. And. The people yes they do think its cool. Shameful.

Beware the road rage. There will always be the one time. The one time where... something happens.

You dont want that on your record.

But. It is called "Offensive driving." And it is a huge problem.

Mobile phones and rap music............ Its NOT just Millennials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego