Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 03:22 PM

50,059 posts, read 46,605,276 times

Advertisements

The protesters have arrived so if you can avoid the area, do yourself a favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 03:23 PM

3,385 posts, read 2,774,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
If there is an imminent threat the action is clear. If there is no imminent threat and If a man is reportedly mentally ill approach slowly and observe.
You think based on the still frame this gentleman is no threat?

And approach slowly and observe when a suspect appears to have a weapon and is in stance ready to use to that weapon...I'm asking an honest question what is police protocol in that circumstance.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:31 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,979,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
You think based on the still frame this gentleman is no threat?

And approach slowly and observe when a suspect appears to have a weapon and is in stance ready to use to that weapon...I'm asking an honest question what is police protocol in that circumstance.
WELL I can only comment that the man who killed 5 people in the mall in Burlington WA was seen by the police, they approached hands ON their guns ordered him to stop and took him into custody. That was a man whom they suspected of murder. This man in EC as mentally ill and acting like it without a gun. Please reassure me you personally have more common sense than portrayed in your posts.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
WELL I can only comment that the man who killed 5 people in the mall in Burlington WA was seen by the police, they approached hands ON their guns ordered him to stop and took him into custody. That was a man whom they suspected of murder. This man in EC as mentally ill and acting like it without a gun. Please reassure me you personally have more common sense than portrayed in your posts.

I was asking you an honest question- I don't know what the police handbook says when a guy has an object (that could appear to be gun) and in all likelihood could be a gun as he stands in a pointing manner as if he's going to shoot a gun. Benefit of the doubt to you the video could be entirely different.

My common sense and I argue you may have the same common sense if you are walking down the street in this shooters path with your family in hand is to hopefully be protected from a guy with an object (that could appear to be gun) and in all likelihood could be a gun as he stands in a pointing manner as if he's going to shoot a gun. People in and around this scene are priority NUMBER 1.

The after the fact analysis is irrelevant.

He "could" be mentally ill. My common sense tells me that someone mentally ill could act Very irrationally.

And the analysis and further case study you want to point out may not have the same fact pattern that fits here- the media wants to fit all these shootings into one little neat box- that is not right IMO.

Lastly, his diagnosis of mentally competency after the fact is irrelevant.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:51 PM

If it was the man attempting to get the cops to shoot him, he accomplished his own goal. If the tape reveals that it should be shown to the community at large. We really do not know what happened other than the police chiefs description where he said the man was approached and made postures to indicate he was pointing something at the police. No gun was found so it would make sense for the police to keep their distance and observe which was my first suggestion. At some point the man would reveal if he had a weapon and actions would be more precise to get him arrested or to a hospital for treatment. In this case, clearly that strategy failed and they shot him dead.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:15 PM

9,786 posts, read 11,443,293 times
Quote:
Good Point!
Time like these always reminds of the ending of the movie "High Learning"
Campus Police are negotiation with the white guy that just killed like 5 People meanwhile the black guy, that stop him from killing more people is beaten and almost shot

Old 09-28-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Good Point!
Time like these always reminds of the ending of the movie "High Learning"
Campus Police are negotiation with the white guy that just killed like 5 People meanwhile the black guy, that stop him from killing more people is beaten and almost shot
Before we try to use one example and it put into this context let's learn all the facts.

This is huge mistake we make with these cases. IMO. They aren't all the same.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Before we try to use one example and it put into this context let's learn all the facts.

This is huge mistake we make with these cases. IMO. They aren't all the same.
Agreed. It would be a good idea for police to release video imho.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:09 PM

It appears that there is quite a bit of activity Broadway and Graves...video shows >200 police I would estimate. Tonight I think will be the acid test. What a shame.

Old 09-28-2016, 05:24 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,002,097 times
Quote:
Who told you that the arresting officer in the Washington case did not pull his gun? He would have been crazy if he had not.

Oak Harbor man, 20, arrested in Cascade Mall killings - seattlepi.com

"As we were driving by, I see the fella walking across the street and I go, 'Oh, that's him,'" Hawley said. "So I whipped a real quick U-turn and hit the lights, pulled my gun and he was under arrest."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego