Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2016, 08:07 PM

52 posts, read 61,593 times

Advertisements

Possible job in Oceanside, CA. I've looked at rents for a studio/1BR in the city and they seem to range from $1300-1700 on the modest end. Is it realistic to keep rent at about $1000/month if I commuted from further inland and kept the commute to <45 minutes each way? I see Bonsall, Pala Mesa, San Marcos, and other communities but it's hard to get a read on rental prices and drive times. Any suggestions?

If prices are too high I'll consider getting a roommate, but I'd prefer my own place.

Also--what's the social scene like in Oceanside for a Gen-X single geek who prefers tabletop gaming to surfing? Any advice on enjoying the town while living fairly frugally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 08:28 PM

9 posts, read 10,039 times
You could find a place in oceanside for a $1000 or below. I've seen lots of studios for $900 listed there, just gotta check craigslist daily. If you can't find a place in oceanside, vista would be worth looking into.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:37 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
As poster above said, try Vista, it's the next town inland from O'side. Just be careful of the neighborhood, some are very sketchy...same to be said for O'side.

For nightlife...not much? Maybe try the restaurants & bars at O'side Harbor, but you will be more likely to find something in downtown Carlsbad or Encinitas.

The thing that's most enjoyable about O'side is probably the long, sandy beach & doing things outdoors, like bike riding.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:43 AM

401 posts, read 444,544 times
You know, you'd think places like Oceanside and Escondido would be safe from the ridiculous real estate speculation:

Morning Report: It’s Expensive to Live Here, Oceanside Edition
http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topic...nside-edition/

Escondido’s popularity, and home prices, are rising north of San Diego
Escondido

Not surprising, everyone flocks to the "cheap" areas of San Diego, prices rise, developers respond, etc. Repeat.

The irony is that, as a democratic society, we have given city planners little power and as such, market forces have run rampant.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:19 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
You know, you'd think places like Oceanside and Escondido would be safe from the ridiculous real estate speculation:

Morning Report: It’s Expensive to Live Here, Oceanside Edition
Morning Report: It's Expensive to Live Here, Oceanside Edition - Voice of San Diego

Escondido’s popularity, and home prices, are rising north of San Diego
Escondido

Not surprising, everyone flocks to the "cheap" areas of San Diego, prices rise, developers respond, etc. Repeat.

The irony is that, as a democratic society, we have given city planners little power and as such, market forces have run rampant.

Do you honestly believe that there are any truly "cheap" areas in San Diego County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego