Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:43 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,829,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Solana Beach, Encinitas, same place, basically.
Yeah, not exactly. Not the same at all. Call me crazy, but if you're going to post on a San Diego board that people read and in some cases rely on for advice, you should at least know what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 08:05 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,501,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Yeah, not exactly. Not the same at all. Call me crazy, but if you're going to post on a San Diego board that people read and in some cases rely on for advice, you should at least know what you're talking about.
Please tell me: What are the differences?

Old 10-15-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Please tell me: What are the differences?
For one, they are different cities. Encinitas is larger and has more shopping. Solana Beach is more residential and quieter. Solana Beach is more expensive and exclusive. Encinitas is more funky and rough around the edges. I'm 46 and was born and raised in Solana Beach and now raising my kids in Encinitas, so I feel like I know the two citites better than most. They are similar, for sure, but when someone says a neighborhood is in Encinitas when it's actually in Solana Beach, and when I point that out they say it doesn't matter because they are the same, it's sort of odd.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:18 PM

6,883 posts, read 8,860,936 times
Quote:
For one, they are different cities. Encinitas is larger and has more shopping. Solana Beach is more residential and quieter. Solana Beach is more expensive and exclusive. Encinitas is more funky and rough around the edges. I'm 46 and was born and raised in Solana Beach and now raising my kids in Encinitas, so I feel like I know the two citites better than most. They are similar, for sure, but when someone says a neighborhood is in Encinitas when it's actually in Solana Beach, and when I point that out they say it doesn't matter because they are the same, it's sort of odd.
Yes, seems Encinitas has more of a downtown walkable retail strip with full spectrum of shoppe types on the 101.
Solana has that Cedros retail row.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Yes, seems Encinitas has more of a downtown walkable retail strip with full spectrum of shoppe types on the 101.
Solana has that Cedros retail row.
I mosltly meant the big box stores are all along El Camino Real in Encinitas. My folks still drive to Encinitas for Target and Michaels and all those stores. Also, doctors are mostly in Encinitas thanks to a Scripps and the larger senior population compared to SB. Cedros is so specialized and expensive, it's not where you do daily shopping.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:09 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,486,342 times
Quote:

Nitpicking. Many years ago, each beach community was unique & different....if you remember, that was the premise of the original post...that the village of Carlsbad is now just one crowded, costly, concrete mega-area. If you grew up in North Coastal San Diego County, you know this is so. It doesn't matter if SB, Cardiff, Encinitas, Carlsbad, blah, blah, are "separate towns", or what north-south orientation along the coast, they are all joined by urban sprawl. Do you not remember when EC Real was the middle of nowhere?? Do you remember Carlsbad before the sea wall?

BTW, there is a group of posters on this board who do give excellent advice , provide good information , are genuinely helpful, but a good number who answer with sarcasm & are very argumentative...like on this particular
thread.

I'm done. Enjoy yourself.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 10-16-2016 at 12:36 AM..

Old 10-16-2016, 01:25 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,390,588 times
As a "newbie" who lives in Encinitas I agree that all the NC beach towns have their own vibe to it. It's pretty obvious to me.

Del Mar- This would be my second choice after Encinitas. Why ? The coast begins to be beautiful at this point. Closer to SD and the point where traffic just starts to thicken. The downside would be lack of super stores in the immediate area but I could definitely *endure Del Mar.

When searching for a place in Solana and Encinitas I definitely noticed a difference between the two. To me SB seemed like an industrial area ,an extension of Sorrento Valley with Cedros Ave.

Stepping off the coaster in Encinitas I felt a totally different vibe. The Main Street ( Vulcan) was definitely easier on the eye than SB. It looked like an upscale beach town in the North East. The first thing that came to my mind was The Hamptons. However the crowd would be more Westhampton ( inside joke ).

Carslbad is uptight. Ultra conservative white some in between due to tourism but you get the picture. It's pretty but not that inviting to me. Inland areas may be different though.

Oceanside is the low end. The ghetto of the beach communities.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:33 PM

1,082 posts, read 825,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I lived in the area for many years longer than you have probably been alive. Irrelevant to the original post.

Nice job of derailing a thread, congrats.
Oh yeah? Cool...even more reason to know the difference and not hand out wrong information. Who gives a **** what it was like 50 years ago? Doesn't apply to today. I guarantee if you have an address in SB, your mail will go to SB. The postman isn't gonna say "ah well, same thing basically" and leave your mail in General Delivery in Encinitas, Cardiff, Del Mar, or any other NC beach town. Carry on.....or move along with your ****ty attitude. Ignorance is bliss....or really ****ing annoying.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:25 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,259,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Dutchman View Post
Yeah, the downside of Prop 13. is that the state needs constant development to raise revenue.
to pay govt employees

Old 10-17-2016, 11:45 PM

28 posts, read 26,011 times
I'm a third generation San Diegan, but I've lived across the country as well. I get tired how ever place in San Diego County is a "village".

Let me see. You have the "village" of La Mesa, the "village" of La Jolla, the "village" of Carlsbad. Give me a break. California has 40M+ residents and the San Diego MSA has >3M people. There are no "villages" anymore, and there have not been for decades.

This linguistic crime against humanity is akin to how people are using the word "literally", such as: "I literally died laughing!".

Please, stop calling it a village. Call it a downtown, or a main drag or whatever. It is not a village and has not been for probably more than 60 years.

vil·lage
ˈvilij/Submit
noun
a group of houses and associated buildings, larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town, situated in a rural area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego