Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 12:49 PM

92 posts, read 164,735 times

Advertisements

I have been to LA a couple times and I really enjoy the west coast. A couple years ago I decided I would move to LA from Baltimore, MD where I currently reside. For some reason San Diego is starting to look more attractive to relocate rather than LA. Reasons such as the lower cost of housing, less traffic, and etc compared to LA. Is San Diego really a happy medium? I'm in my late 20's not really into the club seen but I still want some kind of night life and fun. Just looking for some input and opinions on moving to San Diego rather than LA. Also what areas in San Diego are decent enough to move. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 12:52 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Do you have a job lined up yet?

Old 10-19-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Do you have a job lined up yet?
Yes I will be relocating with my company. They have a location in San Diego,CA and one in Pasadena, CA near LA. Making a decision on which one would be best overall coming from the east coast.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:34 PM

8 posts, read 15,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiz88 View Post
I have been to LA a couple times and I really enjoy the west coast. A couple years ago I decided I would move to LA from Baltimore, MD where I currently reside. For some reason San Diego is starting to look more attractive to relocate rather than LA. Reasons such as the lower cost of housing, less traffic, and etc compared to LA. Is San Diego really a happy medium? I'm in my late 20's not really into the club seen but I still want some kind of night life and fun. Just looking for some input and opinions on moving to San Diego rather than LA. Also what areas in San Diego are decent enough to move. Thanks

I definitely agree with you in choosing San Diego over LA. The only reason I'd live in LA is if I were trying to make a living in the entertainment industry.

You are dead on when it comes to congestion. Every time I drive to LA it reminds me why I don't live there. Fun to visit but definitely would not want to fight that traffic/congestion on a regular basis.

San Diego is not immune to bad traffic but still on a MUCH smaller scale than LA.

Are you looking for a "walkable" living situation to restaurants/night life and other activities?

Old 10-19-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK33 View Post
I definitely agree with you in choosing San Diego over LA. The only reason I'd live in LA is if I were trying to make a living in the entertainment industry.

You are dead on when it comes to congestion. Every time I drive to LA it reminds me why I don't live there. Fun to visit but definitely would not want to fight that traffic/congestion on a regular basis.

San Diego is not immune to bad traffic but still on a MUCH smaller scale than LA.

Are you looking for a "walkable" living situation to restaurants/night life and other activities?

Thanks I was just visiting LA in June and traffic was crazy getting around no matter what time of day it was and I don't have the patience for that all the time lol. But to answer your question walkable would be best since I would be new to the area and if the weather is as nice as everyone says it is being in walking distance to everything i.e night life and entertainment would be ideal. Being close to beaches would be ideal as well but it boils down to pricing.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:58 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
What's your rental budget?

Old 10-19-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
What's your rental budget?

I would like to be no higher than $1500, its just me.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:13 PM

334 posts, read 363,245 times
I've lived in LA/OC, Bay Area and now San Diego. Here's my perspective:

LA is a fantastic place to live on many different criteria and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. It's great for it's atmosphere, amenities, things to do, culture & life style. I think it's without question a tier above San Diego, although that might be expected given the two cities relative sizes. But the traffic is so horrible it will massively detract from your quality of life (even weekends are bad).

In terms of COL, LA is higher in terms of absolute prices for housing/rent. But this is offset by generally higher wages. Will you receive the same pay in both locations?

If I were making this decision I'd strongly weight the job situation. You mentioned that you can move to both cities with your current company, but which spot has better opportunities for internal advancement? which city has a healthier job market for your career?

Old 10-19-2016, 03:51 PM

84 posts, read 88,236 times
hhhhhmmmmm... I have lived in both areas and would probably lean more towards San Diego.

Pasadena is nice... great shopping and restaurants but outside of there, not much unless you drive into LA or head out to the beach... traffic is definitely an issue and may need to be dealt with more if you are looking for things to do.

San Diego offers all of that as well however, it has the added bonus of being coastal. You can live in North County and if possible, you can take the train to work (not sure where your work is located, not all areas are easy to get to). There are lots of things to do and the vibe is pretty laid back and fun...

Much luck with your decision making process

Old 10-19-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snpdragr View Post
I've lived in LA/OC, Bay Area and now San Diego. Here's my perspective:

LA is a fantastic place to live on many different criteria and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. It's great for it's atmosphere, amenities, things to do, culture & life style. I think it's without question a tier above San Diego, although that might be expected given the two cities relative sizes. But the traffic is so horrible it will massively detract from your quality of life (even weekends are bad).

In terms of COL, LA is higher in terms of absolute prices for housing/rent. But this is offset by generally higher wages. Will you receive the same pay in both locations?

If I were making this decision I'd strongly weight the job situation. You mentioned that you can move to both cities with your current company, but which spot has better opportunities for internal advancement? which city has a healthier job market for your career?
I work for a large Insurance company most of the positions I have in Maryland are available on the west coast and I'm also working on a Food Truck. I'm a working entrepreneur basically. With the weather like it is over there I believe I can be quiet successful o the west coast. Winters here in Baltimore are brutal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego