Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:38 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,237,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
This part is definitely true. Mira Mesa might have a bad reputation but as far as shopping for stuff there are tons and tons and tons of stores in the area.

Just in the past week we've been in the area to Best Buy, Target, Babies R Us, Carters, In n Out, BBVA Bank, and several other stores. Plus we went to the Farmer's Market there yesterday.

I agree many of the areas are run down but no way I'd say it feels dangerous at all. Traffic I didn't go in rush hour so it wasn't bad. But the entire area feels like strip malls after strip malls. Which can be convenient and great if you need stuff, but not so great if you live in the area and have all that traffic.

But definitely I'm sure we'll buy a ton of stuff in the area as it's so convenient with everything so close.
Yup. MM is the first place we lived when we set up shop here in SD. We lived there for 6 months and it gave us a great oppt to drive around and be centrally located to offices in Scripps Ranch and all major freeways.
The convenience factor for shopping mini mall style is like Anytown USA.

The reputation is something I dont understand in regards to it being negative. I suppose if one were to compare to some of the neighboring areas, it could look run down. I mean Scripps Ranch is even looking a little run down these days. But I guess that happens in suburban neighborhoods after a couple of decades+ in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 12:02 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,693,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace77 View Post
Mira Mesa looks like the Slums, 75% rental market?
I smell Slum Lord LOL
If you think Mira Mesa is a slum, then you travel more.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:09 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,693,078 times
Quote:
This part is definitely true. Mira Mesa might have a bad reputation but as far as shopping for stuff there are tons and tons and tons of stores in the area.

Just in the past week we've been in the area to Best Buy, Target, Babies R Us, Carters, In n Out, BBVA Bank, and several other stores. Plus we went to the Farmer's Market there yesterday.

I agree many of the areas are run down but no way I'd say it feels dangerous at all. Traffic I didn't go in rush hour so it wasn't bad. But the entire area feels like strip malls after strip malls. Which can be convenient and great if you need stuff, but not so great if you live in the area and have all that traffic.

But definitely I'm sure we'll buy a ton of stuff in the area as it's so convenient with everything so close.
I work in Sorrento Valley and I'm in Mira Mesa all the time doing errands. I totally agree that it isn't dangerous. A bit rundown? Perhaps, especially the area around the high school. It gets better the further east and north you go. The way some people talk about it here, you'd think it was all boarded up, with abandoned cars left in empty lots.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,522 times
Default My experience in mira mesa

I have lived here for 7 years. Here is in experience the good and the bad:

The good: it is cheaper than the close by areas like Rancho Bernado, Sorrento Valley and La Jolla, but is 10 mins away from any of those. Lots of big high tech companies to work at. You can find any type of food you want, from thai, to italian to mexican, big diversity. Very safe, I have never seen any issues with security. We go to target at 10pm and to bobalicious at 11pm and the streets are fine, people shopping with their kids. No gangs at all, no grafity. We accidentally left the garage door open several times (the control was not working properly) and the home was left all day until we came back from work and nothing happen. Lots of parks for kids and dogs. No expensive HOA's. MM is cheaper than the immediate neighbor areas, however is not cheap, you can buy for the same price a much nicer house in for example Chula Vista which is very close to the border. I guess the best part of mm is Location.

The Bad: It is an old area of San Diego, 1970's so of course most houses and shopping centers are from that time. A lot of houses are not kept up, so some front yards are brown and overgrown, mainly due to the lack of HOA's so you can do whatever you want with your house (good and bad). Traffic is bad only during peak hours like in and out of work, it is not horrible like some people say, there are some alternate routes to mira mesa blvd that are almost empty like sorrento valley blvd.

I would like to say that somebody knows something because lately there has been a lot of new construction in mira mesa, maybe more companies moving to the area, don't know, but they anticipate more demand since they are building a lot of new apartment complexes. Also a lot of updates, new asphalt carpeting, shopping centers are being updated, etc.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 AM

358 posts, read 582,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie_lizal View Post
I have lived here for 7 years. Here is in experience the good and the bad:

The good: it is cheaper than the close by areas like Rancho Bernado, Sorrento Valley and La Jolla, but is 10 mins away from any of those. Lots of big high tech companies to work at. You can find any type of food you want, from thai, to italian to mexican, big diversity. Very safe, I have never seen any issues with security. We go to target at 10pm and to bobalicious at 11pm and the streets are fine, people shopping with their kids. No gangs at all, no grafity. We accidentally left the garage door open several times (the control was not working properly) and the home was left all day until we came back from work and nothing happen. Lots of parks for kids and dogs. No expensive HOA's. MM is cheaper than the immediate neighbor areas, however is not cheap, you can buy for the same price a much nicer house in for example Chula Vista which is very close to the border. I guess the best part of mm is Location.

The Bad: It is an old area of San Diego, 1970's so of course most houses and shopping centers are from that time. A lot of houses are not kept up, so some front yards are brown and overgrown, mainly due to the lack of HOA's so you can do whatever you want with your house (good and bad). Traffic is bad only during peak hours like in and out of work, it is not horrible like some people say, there are some alternate routes to mira mesa blvd that are almost empty like sorrento valley blvd.

I would like to say that somebody knows something because lately there has been a lot of new construction in mira mesa, maybe more companies moving to the area, don't know, but they anticipate more demand since they are building a lot of new apartment complexes. Also a lot of updates, new asphalt carpeting, shopping centers are being updated, etc.
Very well said and I concur 100%. Although, I like to make a slight correction. "Sorrento Valley" is nothing more than a subdevelopment w/in Mira Mesa, just like Sorrento Mesa. They go to the same Mira Mesa schools and are being controlled by the same Mira Mesa Planning Group, with regards to development. It's just that it has a 92121 zip code instead of 92126. Their houses are also bigger 1500-3000 sq-ft vs 1100-2300 sq-ft in most of the other part of Mira Mesa. It's also newer. Which is why it's more expensive. However, with the new Sorrento Terrace that's being built currently, 92126 zipcode, it's currently being priced above the "Sorrento Valley" part of Mira Mesa. So, this just shows that newer will fetch more, not because it's 92121 vs 92126. As for your analysis of curb appeal, when you don't have HOA, you will have this situation. Some see it as an advantage and other sees it as a disadvantage. Different strokes for different folks. I know some who spent $100k in landscaping while others let their grass died.

I also lived in MM and traffic never really bothered me, since I know all the inside roads to get to all places in MM, so even during peak traffic time, I'm not bothered/slowed down much by it. But if you live else where and are just using MM Blvd. to pass through, you're SOL.

As I've said in another thread, I think Mira Mesa is starting to go through a transformation, specifically due to its location and age of homes. Same thing is currently happening in Clairemont as well, but it has been happening sooner for Clairemont since their housing stocks are about 10-20 years older. Qualcomm is expanding like crazy. You can see all those cranes right now. According to Mira Mesa Planning Group's meeting note, I can tell you they're planning for at least 4 high rises in Mira Mesa. Each about 10-11 stories. So, traffic will be worse in the future for those who doesn't live in Mira Mesa but works here. That will get people to reconsider Mira Mesa, especially if traffic gets worse and gas gets more expensive. I on the other hand, always have an option to bike to work if traffic gets horrendous. Also, my guess is, as more white collar move in to Mira Mesa, they will keep their own yard maintained and it will slowly transform Mira Mesa. How long that'll take, who knows. But you can't beat Mira Mesa's location (being close to work, diversity of shops and supermarkets).

As for development, I'm sure you're referring to the Casa Mira View behind Best Buy. They're putting up 1800 units there. However, that's the "smaller" development that's going up in the next 10 years. The biggest development that you should look into is called Stone Creek. It's a master planned community w/in Mira Mesa. It will be all condo, mix used, retail, industry and business parks. It will add about 30% more residents to Mira Mesa and a lot more business buildings. But it will also add a very walkable area with retail shops. It will go where the Vulcan mining is today. Last I read, they're trying to start that development before 2020, that's 7 years away. Because of these two developments, the big Mira Mesa park across from MMHS will be completely renovated with the money coming from these two developments along with some government money.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,353,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmcstuffin View Post
Very well said and I concur 100%. Although, I like to make a slight correction. "Sorrento Valley" is nothing more than a subdevelopment w/in Mira Mesa, just like Sorrento Mesa. They go to the same Mira Mesa schools and are being controlled by the same Mira Mesa Planning Group, with regards to development. It's just that it has a 92121 zip code instead of 92126. Their houses are also bigger 1500-3000 sq-ft vs 1100-2300 sq-ft in most of the other part of Mira Mesa. It's also newer. Which is why it's more expensive. However, with the new Sorrento Terrace that's being built currently, 92126 zipcode, it's currently being priced above the "Sorrento Valley" part of Mira Mesa. So, this just shows that newer will fetch more, not because it's 92121 vs 92126. As for your analysis of curb appeal, when you don't have HOA, you will have this situation. Some see it as an advantage and other sees it as a disadvantage. Different strokes for different folks. I know some who spent $100k in landscaping while others let their grass died.

I also lived in MM and traffic never really bothered me, since I know all the inside roads to get to all places in MM, so even during peak traffic time, I'm not bothered/slowed down much by it. But if you live else where and are just using MM Blvd. to pass through, you're SOL.

As I've said in another thread, I think Mira Mesa is starting to go through a transformation, specifically due to its location and age of homes. Same thing is currently happening in Clairemont as well, but it has been happening sooner for Clairemont since their housing stocks are about 10-20 years older. Qualcomm is expanding like crazy. You can see all those cranes right now. According to Mira Mesa Planning Group's meeting note, I can tell you they're planning for at least 4 high rises in Mira Mesa. Each about 10-11 stories. So, traffic will be worse in the future for those who doesn't live in Mira Mesa but works here. That will get people to reconsider Mira Mesa, especially if traffic gets worse and gas gets more expensive. I on the other hand, always have an option to bike to work if traffic gets horrendous. Also, my guess is, as more white collar move in to Mira Mesa, they will keep their own yard maintained and it will slowly transform Mira Mesa. How long that'll take, who knows. But you can't beat Mira Mesa's location (being close to work, diversity of shops and supermarkets).

As for development, I'm sure you're referring to the Casa Mira View behind Best Buy. They're putting up 1800 units there. However, that's the "smaller" development that's going up in the next 10 years. The biggest development that you should look into is called Stone Creek. It's a master planned community w/in Mira Mesa. It will be all condo, mix used, retail, industry and business parks. It will add about 30% more residents to Mira Mesa and a lot more business buildings. But it will also add a very walkable area with retail shops. It will go where the Vulcan mining is today. Last I read, they're trying to start that development before 2020, that's 7 years away. Because of these two developments, the big Mira Mesa park across from MMHS will be completely renovated with the money coming from these two developments along with some government money.

GREAT last 2 posts. So spot on target. Just being out and about all the time I'm always in Mira Mesa getting stuff. I so agree on the HOA thingy. Some really are into the curb appeal thingy and some totally don't care about it. It's exactly as Doc is saying. It really sucks for someone that spent the $100,000 on landscaping (+ ongoing maintenance and water costs to keep it that way) and then have a neighbor that lets his grass die.

That's why I appreciate and prefer HOA now vs. before I had kids. I do think that MM will slowly change over the years as more professionals move in. I do think it will take a relatively long time because there are probably families that have lived there a while and aren't going anywhere. Also, I think that Mira Mesa is more an area where families in San Diego might look at it as a "starter home" area with plans to upgrade to another "final home". Maybe this will change in the future. I don't know.

As of right now, it just seems to be from the outside looking in many people view this as a temporary area to start/live for a few years, while they stabilize their work situation, save up some savings and then have a goal to relocate over to a more affluent area. That's how I see it anyway.

Yeah, I drive past that new apartment at Casa Mira View behind Best Buy all the time. Man, I wonder what the noise will be like being right next to I-15? That can't be too quiet..no? LOL.

And I agree with you doc that the biggest thing to watch will be the traffic. A few times I've gotten stuck on Mira Mesa Blvd after 5 PM and it was NOT fun. As you correctly mentioned, then it just because a matter of knowing the side streets to navigate on. Google Maps has helped me out several times. LOL.

I laugh at people that talk about "gangs" or other problems. I haven't seen ANYTHING like that...people are VERY friendly in that entire area. Yes, many ethics population there but everyone is VERY friendly and polite.

Doc, since you know the area super well...do you also agree that it is an area where many people move "temporarily" with the ultimate goal to move over to another surrounding area once they can afford it? Would love to hear your thoughts on that as you know this area so well.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,547,197 times
Quote:
... Yeah, I drive past that new apartment at Casa Mira View behind Best Buy all the time. Man, I wonder what the noise will be like being right next to I-15? That can't be too quiet..no? LOL. ... .
We live in the condos at I-15 and Highway 56. The units directly next to the heavily-traveled roads may have noise issues. For units 'inside' of that, the noise disappears as soon as you're inside (and we don't have good-quality windows). Since we're on slopes, even the noise outside lessens quickly, but Casa Mira View won't have that advantage.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
We live in the condos at I-15 and Highway 56. The units directly next to the heavily-traveled roads may have noise issues. For units 'inside' of that, the noise disappears as soon as you're inside (and we don't have good-quality windows). Since we're on slopes, even the noise outside lessens quickly, but Casa Mira View won't have that advantage.
Oddstray,

Exactly, those slopes can make a big difference as you mentioned. But those units at Casa Mira View are just about parallel with the freeway with no slopes at all. I'd think that the traffic noise would be a huge factor. Unless you have double or triple pane sound-proof windows (which are very expensive) I would think that noise will be a factor. Oh well.... they will probably fill them up as long as noise isn't too bad.

It's amazing to me how strong the rental market is here in San Diego.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 AM

358 posts, read 582,089 times
Quote:
GREAT last 2 posts. So spot on target. Just being out and about all the time I'm always in Mira Mesa getting stuff. I so agree on the HOA thingy. Some really are into the curb appeal thingy and some totally don't care about it. It's exactly as Doc is saying. It really sucks for someone that spent the $100,000 on landscaping (+ ongoing maintenance and water costs to keep it that way) and then have a neighbor that lets his grass die.
The person I know that spent $100k on landscaping did it for their own personal enjoyment. They didn't do it to keep up with the Jones. They specifically bought in MM due to its location and no HOA. For awhile, they were the neighbor who have overgrown grass and weed. That's because they're busy and didn't feel like maintaining it. But now their new landscape is low maintenance so, it will stay nice with little maintenance. Because there's no HOA, they can do stuff to their landscape that areas with strict HOA will say no to, even if they spend $100k on it.
Quote:
Doc, since you know the area super well...do you also agree that it is an area where many people move "temporarily" with the ultimate goal to move over to another surrounding area once they can afford it? Would love to hear your thoughts on that as you know this area so well.
There will always be some that view MM as "temporary" home. But I don't know any of them. In my development, I would say, 80% of the owners are original buyer from the early 80s (i.e. most probably have the place paid off by now). The other people that I know moved here specifically for the location relative to their job (also in Mira Mesa). So, unless they change job, the only place they might consider is Carmel Valley (South West part). Other's who grew up here and end up buying here, specifically to be around family (free baby sitting at short notice ROCKS). Others move here because it's the best area with the best school AND the convenience to Asian supermarkets/shops. I think the type of people Mira Mesa attract are not your typical young married couple who are in their beginning phases of their career and are buying a small starter house that they out grow in the future. Even if they do out grow (I know a family that did just that) and they just make an addition to fit their new needs. Due to the fact there's no HOA, they can buy what they want/need (as long as the city approved). Also, the fact that the houses are small, relative to the lot, there are plenty of room to "grow".

Old 05-13-2013, 11:36 AM

Thanks Doc! That's great information. I'm still learning about specific neighborhoods and all the dynamics of them. I like to get advice from people like you that live there and know it well. Because so far while I HAVE met several people that have lived in MM in the past, they don't know. They ALL told me they moved there in the beginning or maybe when they first moved here as a "stepping stone". So it's good to hear that many buy to stay as well.

I agree for convenience, especially if you worked at one of the local companies it would be great. My concerns would simply be what some others mentioned.... the inconsistency between several blocks where some are great and then a few blocks over or even same house on some blocks they are different due to no HOA as you mentioned.

No doubt the Asian supermarkets are great. I go to that H Mart all the time. And constantly finding myself at that Home Depot there as well. For someone that isn't much of a DIY, I sure find myself there often! LOL.

Thanks again for the great info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego