Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 06:07 PM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

Spanos just needs to sell the team to us like Green Bay. Let the city own the team and we can keep all proceeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 10:53 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Goddell today basically said that Spanos worked very hard to do everything he could to keep the Chargers in SD and the people didn't want them...what the heck??? Now it's our fault...they must be kidding? Have they all forgotten that Spanos Was ready to move to Carson, but his fellow owners stabbed him in the back. He never wanted to stay here. Boy, they sure have short memories...

Old 12-15-2016, 08:22 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Goddell today basically said that Spanos worked very hard to do everything he could to keep the Chargers in SD and the people didn't want them...what the heck??? Now it's our fault...they must be kidding? Have they all forgotten that Spanos Was ready to move to Carson, but his fellow owners stabbed him in the back. He never wanted to stay here. Boy, they sure have short memories...
I think Goddell said that the city and team have no "long term" options in SD, which is correct.

Spanos is a "poor" owner. He doesn't have the resources to build his stadium like Jerry Jones did. If you need any more proof he's poor- he's renting from another owner.

A $1 lease of Qualcomm while he pays to upkeep a stadium that needs more work than just about any stadium in the NFL is not a long term option.

Moving forward, It will take a unique situation for a city to build a stadium for a team. For many reasons, San Diego is not a football town and it is a very weak sports town IMO. When the NFL pulled the Super Bowl from SD after 2002- that was the first sign...A new football stadium hasn't been a priority for a long time now.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:32 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Moving forward, It will take a unique situation for a city to build a stadium for a team. For many reasons, San Diego is not a football town and it is a very weak sports town IMO. When the NFL pulled the Super Bowl from SD after 2002- that was the first sign...A new football stadium hasn't been a priority for a long time now.
Sadly it is
Why it is is always up to debate. The Clippers, Chargers and Padres all have something in common,
Cheap, BrokeA$$ Owners.
When you have a owner that cannot spend, or refuses to spend the money to get good players then you're going to have a disloyal, fair weather fan base.

Ray Kroc: Cheap(cheapest of them all imo and not a good person)

Gene Klein: Cheap( 81, 84 49ers Superbowl teams were full of ex Chargers that Klein didn't want to Resign)

Tom Werner: Cheap (Let him and his ownership group try that firesale crap in Boston and see what happens to them)

Donald Sterling: Cheap (The Nba finally force his hand to start spending when they built the staples center)

Alex Spanos: Cheap(Chargers history of bringing in, over the hill players and hoping they work out)

Ron Fowler Group Padres: Cheap

John Moores :Cheap(Spent the money to get Petco Park built then proceed to have a fire sale the year after the vote passed)

Did i leave out anybody
I hate using the "transient city" excuse because its only a 3rd of a problem IMO. Poor owners trying to turn a profit seems to be the big problem in this town.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Sadly it is
Why it is is always up to debate. The Clippers, Chargers and Padres all have something in common,
Cheap, BrokeA$$ Owners.
When you have a owner that cannot spend, or refuses to spend the money to get good players then you're going to have a disloyal, fair weather fan base.

Ray Kroc: Cheap(cheapest of them all imo and not a good person)

Gene Klein: Cheap( 81, 84 49ers Superbowl teams were full of ex Chargers that Klein didn't want to Resign)

Tom Werner: Cheap (Let him and his ownership group try that firesale crap in Boston and see what happens to them)

Donald Sterling: Cheap (The Nba finally force his hand to start spending when they built the staples center)

Alex Spanos: Cheap(Chargers history of bringing in, over the hill players and hoping they work out)

Ron Fowler Group Padres: Cheap

John Moores :Cheap(Spent the money to get Petco Park built then proceed to have a fire sale the year after the vote passed)

Did i leave out anybody
I hate using the "transient city" excuse because its only a 3rd of a problem IMO. Poor owners trying to turn a profit seems to be the big problem in this town.
Great list I know a few of the names, but I don't have a handle on the history that you have.

I grew up outside of Cleveland during the Browns move. The fans acted the same way the four or five years to the lead up to the move to Baltimore. I attended games during that time- ALL sold out. The fans WERE NOT the problem. If you recall the city built a nice new shiny ballpark for the Indians- sound familiar Padres? And then made comments and gestures to the Browns ownership that we'll take care of you. Even a few efforts like we see with San Diego leadership. I can't recall a ballot measure, but I do remember efforts to fund renovations 50/50 city and ownership on those renovations. Art Modell was losing a ton of money during that time (not being financially stable) trying to right the ship and make some money and leave the organization in good hands to his son.... Sound familiar?

The Browns got a team back when they passed a cigarette/alcohol tax to fund a stadium. I can't see the city of SD getting the Chargers or any other team at any point without an owner taking a chance and some sort of public funding to help. The well "its San Diego" argument is part of the reason- some people need to wake up.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Great list I know a few of the names, but I don't have a handle on the history that you have.

I grew up outside of Cleveland during the Browns move. The fans acted the same way the four or five years to the lead up to the move to Baltimore. I attended games during that time- ALL sold out. The fans WERE NOT the problem. If you recall the city built a nice new shiny ballpark for the Indians- sound familiar Padres? And then made comments and gestures to the Browns ownership that we'll take care of you. Even a few efforts like we see with San Diego leadership. I can't recall a ballot measure, but I do remember efforts to fund renovations 50/50 city and ownership on those renovations. Art Modell was losing a ton of money during that time (not being financially stable) trying to right the ship and make some money and leave the organization in good hands to his son.... Sound familiar?

The Browns got a team back when they passed a cigarette/alcohol tax to fund a stadium. I can't see the city of SD getting the Chargers or any other team at any point without an owner taking a chance and some sort of public funding to help. The well "its San Diego" argument is part of the reason- some people need to wake up.
The Problem is, to my point above is the people of San Diego have dissolved themselves any kind of Sports in this town. They are just going to be lied too.
Build us a Stadium and we will bring in the best players(Sound Familiar)
I use this analogy:
The Chargers/Padres organizations are like a husband that keeps cheating on his wife.
Every years it's the same "Hey, ill stop cheating on you if use that money that YOU were saving and buy new a house for me.
I won't cheat on you again i swear
The Fans in this town have been cheated on so much that they have moved on in the relationship.
Going to marriage counseling at this point is not going to fix 50 year cheating and treating your wife like $**t

Old 12-15-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
The Problem is, to my point above is the people of San Diego have dissolved themselves any kind of Sports in this town. They are just going to be lied too.
Build us a Stadium and we will bring in the best players(Sound Familiar)
I use this analogy:
The Chargers/Padres organizations are like a husband that keeps cheating on his wife.
Every years it's the same "Hey, ill stop cheating on you if use that money that YOU were saving and buy new a house for me.
I won't cheat on you again i swear
The Fans in this town have been cheated on so much that they have moved on in the relationship.
Going to marriage counseling at this point is not going to fix 50 year cheating and treating your wife like $**t
I like the analogy. But the new house (stadium) keeps the team from divorcing the city for the foreseeable future and the flirting with the other cities ENDS. Like any marriage After that the city can take the good with the bad, but they know the team is in SD.

I'd take the analogy a step further. Its the husband (Chargers) telling the wife let's buy the house but I can't make the monthly payment on it and I don't like to work too much so just pay the note off for the next 30 years. The wife has some choices...

Wife says yes and the husband stays- comes at a high price but offers enjoyment occasionally.
Wife can say No. Husband either leaves, and the wife may eventually find another team down the road. OR
Wife says No. Husband is not left with other choices decides to work with the wife and pay his fair share (not happening with the Chargers).

I look at the Chargers as more of husband that has tried but failed BUT its clear NOW after some time they have stepped out of the marriage and they are exploring other partners (cities).
The NFL has a salary cap and the Chargers have spent at or near the cap in almost every year. They paid Rivers and Gates- Hall of Fame players beginning and ending their careers with SD. They wisely let LT walk when his skills diminished. They paid Weddle and then didn't pay him on his next contract (maybe a good move??? we will see.). I think their downfall personnel wise has always been the offensive line and lately tough luck injuries defensively. They are one of the 10 teams in the NFL with a good QB but over a decade now they haven't invested wisely in protecting him. They lied by not bringing a Super Bowl to SD but they've tried and their effort is not the worst in the NFL and not the best.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:51 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Y'all might disagree with me...but the real issue here is the QB for the Chargers. Wonderful man great thrower and he has given away more games than I can count.

Let em go.
With a comment like that I don't think you really watch. Rivers is the reason they are somewhat competitive at times.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I like the analogy. But the new house (stadium) keeps the team from divorcing the city for the foreseeable future and the flirting with the other cities ENDS. Like any marriage After that the city can take the good with the bad, but they know the team is in SD.

I'd take the analogy a step further. Its the husband (Chargers) telling the wife let's buy the house but I can't make the monthly payment on it and I don't like to work too much so just pay the note off for the next 30 years. The wife has some choices...

Wife says yes and the husband stays- comes at a high price but offers enjoyment occasionally.
Wife can say No. Husband either leaves, and the wife may eventually find another team down the road. OR
Wife says No. Husband is not left with other choices decides to work with the wife and pay his fair share (not happening with the Chargers).

I look at the Chargers as more of husband that has tried but failed BUT its clear NOW after some time they have stepped out of the marriage and they are exploring other partners (cities).
The NFL has a salary cap and the Chargers have spent at or near the cap in almost every year. They paid Rivers and Gates- Hall of Fame players beginning and ending their careers with SD. They wisely let LT walk when his skills diminished. They paid Weddle and then didn't pay him on his next contract (maybe a good move??? we will see.). I think their downfall personnel wise has always been the offensive line and lately tough luck injuries defensively. They are one of the 10 teams in the NFL with a good QB but over a decade now they haven't invested wisely in protecting him. They lied by not bringing a Super Bowl to SD but they've tried and their effort is not the worst in the NFL and not the best.
Good Post
But sadly you're giving the Chargers organization way to much Credit.
I forgot to add above that the Spano's, Moores and Joan Kroc philanthropy in San Diego should be commended. These people have opened up their wallets when they didn't have too.
Seau, Harrison, Fred Dean, Big hands Johnson, Dan Audick(The biggest blunder imo) louie kelcher, Gary Plummer, Drew Brees,
Except for maybe Louie Kelcher and Seau none of these guys were on the downside of their careers when let go,traded or not Resigned by the Chargers. All but one have Superbowl rings.
Chargers and Padres also have bad history of, not hiring minority head Coaches, and not wanting to pay hispanic and black players though out the years.
That's why every time Ryan Leafs name is brought up i laugh.(yes i know Jamarcus Russell was a bigger bust)

Old 12-16-2016, 08:50 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Just a few years ago, I would have been all about saving the Chargers but now I'm ready for them to go. The NFL is dying a slowing death. Ratings and viewership are down. Check out the movie "Concussion" if you can

Ratings Fumble for NFL Surprises Networks, Advertisers - WSJ

That said, I'm more excited about the possibility of SD finally getting an MLS team. The chances would be greater if the Chargers did leave. From the article below:

The league acknowledged ownership groups from 10 markets have publicly expressed interest in securing an MLS expansion team: Charlotte, Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville, Raleigh/Durham, Sacramento, St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego and Tampa/St. Petersburg.

MLS announces expansion process and timeline | MLSsoccer.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego