Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 07:28 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Just curious, but how did your teacher friend know that ALL of the students she taught were from "illegal families"? Under Federal guidelines, schools and teachers aren't allowed to ask about a student or parents' citizenship.

Also, there are plenty of families who speak a language other than English at home besides Spanish. Just in my local area, I know families who speak Vietnamese, Chinese, Arabic, Russian, and French at home, and many of their children get ESL support at school too.

I guess I don't have a problem with families speaking whatever they want in their homes. My own father spoke German at home and didn't learn English until he started elementary school. Based on the stories he told us, it certainly would have been easier for him if he had teachers who were trained to teach students who were not native English speakers. (My Dad didn't grow up in California, by the way, but Pennsylvania).

ESL teachers aren't always overburdened and unhappy. For instance, I chose a dual immersion program (English-Spanish) for my son when he was in elementary school. The teachers were some of the best in the district and my son thrived in the program. He went on to attend great universities for college and graduate school and now is doing well career-wise, so being in a classroom with so many students who spoke another language at home certainly didn't hurt him.
If anything, he really benefited.

I can't tell you whether any of the kids in the program were undocumented; all I cared about was that my son had friends who were good kids, and he did.
You've said it very tactfully and well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego