Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 06:06 AM

395 posts, read 1,360,619 times

Advertisements

Hey Veronika! I feel the same as you do about Seattle..I am still here actually, and been here the past two years. I am hoping to be moving to SD this summer..and I just wanted to wish you luck for the move!
I guess SD is prob. better then Seattle huh?
I am not trying to highjack this so, due to your OP question.. I would just prob. tell you what you have already done..LOL. Check online!! I have been doing this for a few months now looking in the SD area! If I find any really good sites as far as home rentals I will try and get back to you on it..I have actually just been looking into apartments, so I can't be helpful right now, sorry

Old 03-01-2008, 06:34 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,936,386 times
I'll have to second the people in Seattle being rude comments. I've met a lot of nice people since I moved here from Arkansas, but it is hard to make deep friendships. The one i almost made ended up in a DISASTER, its too much to explain, but we'll say that they said to me "run, someone is going to kill you." It was the worst experience of my life lol. Other people that I have met and are kinda friends with, its just like when we see each other on campus we talk, not much more than that. It seems black and white to me, If you get on the elevator with someone and you say something to them, they will either be VERY rude and basically blow you off(or not answer at all), or they will be SO nice and friendly and talk up a storm!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:36 AM

9,522 posts, read 30,361,645 times
Seattle and the Pac Northwest in general has a longstanding reputation of being melancholy, anti-establishment, counterculture, etc... that has been the case for easily 20+ years. It always surprises me that people don't know that going into it.

I think Seattle is one of the prettiest cities in the country, but that weather... no thanks. You can still get a lot more house for the money there compared to SD.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:37 AM

124 posts, read 375,800 times
People in big cities, such as NY, LA are generally rude.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:47 AM
BNB

172 posts, read 690,079 times
Hi V!

Sorry Seattle did not work out for you. But to answer your question. We have rented twice from a property management firm (the same one both times) and once from an ad in the paper...both positive results. I know Craigslist has a lot of homes too...but I have not had any experience from there. The home we are in may have been in the Union-Tribune as well as craigslist...vague recollection that it might have been.

SignOnSanDiego.com | The San Diego Union-Tribune | San Diego news, California and national news

http://http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ (broken link)

Good luck with your move back home!

Old 03-01-2008, 05:22 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,831,217 times
Thanks, everyone!! We will know if my husband gets his old job back, hopefully early this coming week!!!

V. =)

Old 03-01-2008, 05:32 PM

349 posts, read 1,541,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Seattle and the Pac Northwest in general has a longstanding reputation of being melancholy, anti-establishment, counterculture, etc... that has been the case for easily 20+ years. It always surprises me that people don't know that going into it.
My husband is from the PNW and full of all that angst but says he's "solar powered" here so he's fine.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:02 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,109,669 times
I dunno, I keep hearing about how cold the people in Seattle are, or how plastic and materialistic the people in San Diego are, but I didn't find that much difference. The only rude people I met in either place were ghetto thugs. To me both cities had lots of nice people.

There's no question that Seattle is prettier and has more character in terms of interesting shops and things to see. But the costs of living are about the same now that home prices and even rents are frozen in San Diego, while the rents at least are skyrocketing up in Seattle. Food is at least as expensive in Seattle.

I don't actually like too many relentlessly sunny days with perfect weather, but yeah the weather is generally a lot nicer in San Diego. However a drier year in Seattle comes pretty close to being as good.

I think when people speak of Seattle being unfriendly, this might refer to the suburbs, which are a whole nother species than the city proper. I never did do much of anything in the burbs but pass through them, so I wouldn't know.

As for renting a house, you could find a realtor in the area on the internet, and contact them. Then arrange for a tour, and fly down there for a couple of days to check out what they have to offer.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:50 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,372,758 times
I think the weather in the PacNorwest changes people's personalities. People tend to stay inside a lot more, and I believe this leads to shyness and even anti-social behavior. The area also attracts a lot of anti-establishment snobs- people that will treat you rudely simply if you comb your hair. Seattle also has a high percentage of intellectual and pseudo-intellectual snobs.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:48 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,223,899 times
My wife and I are considering the same think moving back to San Diego from awful boring charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego