Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:06 PM

3,385 posts, read 2,774,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
You can choose to party OR choose to study at ANY university...and thus succeed or fail. I have never understood SDSU's rep as a party school...I never saw that...but then, I did not hang out at fraternity parties.
Very True.

I think two things are really important and may set schools apart from each other. Alumni network/job placement and I always felt class sizes were important. I went to a smaller liberal arts school I felt that I got the most out of classes 25 or less.

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 02-10-2017 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 04:46 PM

334 posts, read 358,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Minor correction . . . Caltech, (California Institute of Technology), is NOT part of the UC system. It is a private university.
I didn't intend to imply that Caltech (or stanford) was part of the UC system. I was just listing other well known schools in California.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:07 PM

7,375 posts, read 6,432,159 times
SDSU does have a good alumni network--in San Diego....Party school reputation most of the rest of the country that will make it much more challenging to get a foot in the door short of outstanding grades and accomplishments--and even that might not cut it in ultra competitive cities. If you are looking to stay in SD or OC after graduation, OK; elsewhere will be a daunting task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Very True.

I think two things are really important and may set schools apart from each other. Alumni network/job placement and I always felt class sizes were important. I went to a smaller liberal arts school I felt that I got the most out of classes 25 or less.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:21 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,433,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
One of my kids has straight A's and she is sweating getting admitted to SDSU.
Aren't there still guaranteed transfers from the local community colleges? That is always something to fall back on if it is still available. Or you could save yourself some money, make her go to Mesa College first.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:24 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Aren't there still guaranteed transfers from the local community colleges? That is always something to fall back on if it is still available. Or you could save yourself some money, make her go to Mesa College first.
That's my first choice. It would save me a bunch of coin.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:30 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,433,869 times
^^^ Yup, it's all about where you graduated from as that is what is on the resume, not necessarily every place you went to school.

But I've got 9-10 more years before I have to start worrying about this with my 8 year old. My wifey and I ARE SAVING IN THE MEAN TIME for him and his younger siblings.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:38 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^^ Yup, it's all about where you graduated from as that is what is on the resume, not necessarily every place you went to school.

But I've got 9-10 more years before I have to start worrying about this with my 8 year old. My wifey and I ARE SAVING IN THE MEAN TIME for him and his younger siblings.
Good luck too. It's a crazy ride It got here way faster than I expected.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:43 PM

8,365 posts, read 7,559,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
One of my kids has straight A's and she is sweating getting admitted to SDSU.
Is her high school south of the 56? If so, tell her that things will probably turn out fine!

Did she apply for the Weber Honors College & for the Weber honors scholarship?

In addition -- and you've probably already done this --- make sure she applies for any of the SDSU scholarships she is eligible to apply for (http://go.sdsu.edu/student_affairs/f...olarships.aspx). Some are only for upper classmen, so I always told my students to keep thinking about scholarships after you start college.

Good luck to her!

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-10-2017 at 08:58 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 08:48 PM

6,330 posts, read 7,681,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpdragr View Post
I didn't intend to imply that Caltech (or stanford) was part of the UC system. I was just listing other well known schools in California.
Please accept my apologies. Your additive transitive didn't register when I initially read your post.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-11-2017, 03:09 AM

30 posts, read 24,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrnthomas View Post
I attended UCSD, and the student body is made up of about 70% CAL/UCLA rejects (myself included) who do not want to be on campus. USNWR seems to tell people to go to UCSD if rejected by better schools.
Us folks in the East Coast who ultimately got rejected by Dartmouth, MIT or Brown ended up at BU, BC, NorthEastern, Tufts or UConn which, in fact, are still reputable schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego