Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 01:29 PM

9,802 posts, read 11,487,458 times

Advertisements

Anybody's Power go out just now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 05:17 PM

50,144 posts, read 46,793,388 times
No, I have a backup genset built in

This one is gonna be bad. There are already trees down all over.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:08 PM

782 posts, read 756,262 times
No, but I moved here from South Florida over a year ago and it feels like home just a tad bit too cool. The way people are acting over this here has been an unusual somehat melodramatic experience for me. My neighbor went to Costco last night and bought supplies/food, him and his wife took off work and are hunkering down.

Coworkers left early or didn't show up, the ones that did kept talking about the storm all day watching radar on their computers.

I'm pondering the thought if like in the Northeast during an impending snow storm that the grocery stores have no milk or bread left? Florida is was bottled water.

Of course I have been through several Noreasters when I lived in the Northeast, we also had bad summer storms, floods along with several Hurricanes, Tropical Depressions and etc. living in South Florida. Lost power once in the Northeast luckily we had a generator since it was in the middle of winter, in Florida lost power a lot during Hurricances for a week or more at a time bad storms, power would be off for an hour or so.

We usually did not get too concerned unless we knew a big one was coming, driving home from work was like a typical rainy day in South Florida but not as bad. Anyone that experienced Monsoon Rains knows what I'm talking about. I was making jokes with some San Diego natives and they just looked at me lol.

Just turned on the news, nothing but weather.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:49 PM

9,802 posts, read 11,487,458 times
Seems to have effected over a 100 homes in la mesa but it came back on within the hour

Old 02-17-2017, 10:21 PM

6,485 posts, read 7,476,461 times
Damn I hated power outages in Texas and when I lived in TJ, they don't seem to happen very often if even in SD.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:28 PM

15,117 posts, read 32,220,536 times
Don't forget about the water outages in TJ, too. It's really aggravating to get up in the morning, turn on the shower and nothing comes out.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Damn I hated power outages in Texas and when I lived in TJ, they don't seem to happen very often if even in SD.
I thought it was weird our computers at office did not have battery backups UPS, something that is unheard of in Florida where the power goes out often, especially during summer storms. Not once did I experience a power outage over the past year.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:21 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,568,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Anybody's Power go out just now?
No, but if it did I don't think I'd be all that outraged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
No, but I moved here from South Florida over a year ago and it feels like home just a tad bit too cool. The way people are acting over this here has been an unusual somehat melodramatic experience for me. My neighbor went to Costco last night and bought supplies/food, him and his wife took off work and are hunkering down. . . . .
It's all about what you're used to, I suppose. I was in Maryland a few years ago when they had that 4.? earthquake. It was amusing to see their reaction.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

It's all about what you're used to, I suppose. I was in Maryland a few years ago when they had that 4.? earthquake. It was amusing to see their reaction.
The 2011 Earthquake in Virginia was 5.8M, the effect was felt over a larger area compared to quakes in CA along with the fact it hit a much larger population area than SoCal.

Here trees fall, mainly because they planted way too many Eucalyptus trees with their shallow root systems, mudslides, flash floods, some sink holes. People drive too fast on wet roads.

Everyone at work was saying 75mph winds are coming, flooding and torrential rain I was like, oh really? Was home all night, I heard rain, some wind, woke up this morning and didn't see much but some runoff and leaves all over the place.

The sky is falling mentality is entertaining especially with a few at work who let's say over prepare themselves, I cannot imagine them going through a Noreaster or Hurricane, little alone a Tropical Depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego