Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,391 times

Advertisements

I'm almost 30 with a bachelors in Construction Management. I am a project manager at a construction company. My rent is $1400/mo, not including utilities. My cost of living is somewhere around $3000/mo. This is all just to put my situation and pockets into perspective. Moving almost solely due to weather. I can't take this snow!!

I'm planning to move to San Diego and I've done endless research. Where would the best place be to raise my six year old daughter? I read there are drug addicts and crime in the El Cajon area I was considering. I understand no where is perfect and it's all relative to preference. Is construction booming at all? I'm a successful professional and need a safe, child friendly place, and my budget to buy a home is $400,000+/-. Anyone familiar with the area and the surrounding areas?

Thank you for your comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 11:34 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
How much is nicer weather worth to you?

Since you've done a lot of research about San Diego County, you already know that two bedroom apartments for $1400 a month in safe, family friendly neighborhoods with good schools are a rarity here. Single family homes for $400,000 in safe, family friendly neighborhoods with good schools are even rarer.

So, based on your home buying budget of $400,000, I'd recommend checking out Temecula and Murietta just over the San Diego County border in Riverside County. You'll find lower housing costs there for safe, family friendly neighborhoods (and good schools). There is a Riverside County sub-forum on city-data where you can get some insights from locals.

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-23-2017 at 12:34 AM..

Old 02-23-2017, 12:44 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
I agree with Rosie, BUT, I was also a long-time North San Diego County resident, (El Cajon is East County), so I would also suggest San Marcos or Fallbrook...but you would be living in a condo.

Seriously, with a young child...look into Temecula or Murrieta, they are sunny & warm, public schools are good.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:02 PM

84 posts, read 199,676 times
Don't do it! The weather is not what it used to be. Don't believe what others say. San Diego weather has really changed and for the worse. Cooler temperatures, lots of cloudy days and this year tons of rain.

I'm from the east coast. Snow builds character. Every native Californian should be forced to shovel snow once in their life. You are already ahead of the game.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:22 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRN View Post
Don't do it! The weather is not what it used to be. Don't believe what others say. San Diego weather has really changed and for the worse. Cooler temperatures, lots of cloudy days and this year tons of rain.

I'm from the east coast. Snow builds character. Every native Californian should be forced to shovel snow once in their life. You are already ahead of the game.
LOL! Snow seems to have built you into quite the character!

San Diego *finally* has its share, and to be fair more than its share, of rain this year. That's only a 'change' because we've had so many years of drought. Weather here is still more mild than anywhere else I've lived. I survived 30 Chicago winters. If I never see snow again, that's still too soon.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:15 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
How much do you have saved for a down payment? A 400k place is going to run you significantly more than 1.4k per month when you factor in taxes and insurance unless you are putting down a substantial down payment... That's not including any HOA, Mello roos, or potential PMI

Old 02-26-2017, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 1,391 times
Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions. This helps. Never checked out any of the areas mentioned. How much is nicer weather worth? Whatever the cost! I'm definitely ready to make the move. I have about 40k saved and don't intend to go over 400k. Just want to stay below that number. It seems like a community might be the way to go. Now I just need to know how booming is construction right now?

Old 02-26-2017, 07:59 AM

771 posts, read 835,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfjaz View Post
Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions. This helps. Never checked out any of the areas mentioned. How much is nicer weather worth? Whatever the cost! I'm definitely ready to make the move. I have about 40k saved and don't intend to go over 400k. Just want to stay below that number. It seems like a community might be the way to go. Now I just need to know how booming is construction right now?
Not sure what construction you're asking about? In terms of potential employment in construction: new residential development is almost zero -- pretty much any buildable land is already built. There are a number of areas near the coast where original modest bungalows are being torn down and much larger new homes built in their place. In terms of employment in commercial construction -- I don't know. Either way, competition for jobs is pretty fierce in many industries -- typically supply of willing workers exceeds demand. I highly suggest you start applying to San Diego construction PM jobs and see what you get. All other debate is academic if you can't get a job.

Be aware that the market to purchase a home is quite competitive right now, especially in the $500's and lower. In desirable areas, multiple offers at and above asking price within a day of a property going on the MLS are common, as are all-cash offers. I think if you are placing offers with less than 20% down, you're going to find yourself constantly beat out and frustrated. With what you have for a down payment, you'll likely need a job paying $90-100K+. I would tie that into my suggestion above about applying. If you apply and get nibbles but the jobs are for say $75K, I think you'll need to rent instead of buy and may have to compromise in terms of size, safety, schools, location. Also, generally you want to live near your work to avoid long commutes sitting in traffic. If your construction career is mostly not in the office, this may be a non-factor.

Last edited by someguy10; 02-26-2017 at 08:08 AM..

Old 02-26-2017, 12:53 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I'd suggest looking into the Carolinas, Arizona if you want milder weather...it's no exaggeration how expensive it is to live here. Texas and Carolinas they are building like crazy!

Old 02-26-2017, 05:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfjaz View Post
IF you want SoCal look in Murrieta and the immediate area around it. In addition several home divisions have No HOA's which saves a lot, though some Mello Roos (Extra property taxes) . The one I lived in had an inactive HOA as it owned no property after deeding all the streets to the City. You can find a nice 3/2/2 house under $400,000.00 in that area. If your work will be in North SD County this would work, If not then $400,000.00 homes exist but you will need to be real careful. Temecula and Murrieta would be too far away if your work was not generally in North SD County.

There is construction going on in the IE (Murrieta, etc) area

Last edited by expatCA; 02-26-2017 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego