Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 10:09 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times

Advertisements

Obviously, these aren't wildflowers (or free), but the Carlsbad Flower Fields are also opening today. The Flower Fields at Carlsbad Ranch

They usually don't reach their peak until late March though -- wonder if that will be different with all the rain this year?

If anyone lives in Carlsbad and passes by the fields, could you post an update on how the color is coming along? Thanks!

The Rose Garden in Balboa Park should start blooming this month too, altough it usually peaks in April. Again, not sure how the rain will affect that this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 10:27 AM

587 posts, read 443,844 times
We used to go to the flower fields in Carlsbad all the time when our girls were little. My husband worked in Carlsbad then and we would meet him at the flower fields and take pictures of the girls in their Easter dresses. Of course this is back when it was free!

Old 03-02-2017, 02:00 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
We used to go to the flower fields in Carlsbad all the time when our girls were little. My husband worked in Carlsbad then and we would meet him at the flower fields and take pictures of the girls in their Easter dresses. Of course this is back when it was free!
We did the same thing.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:23 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Good article from KPBS on the wildflower season in Anza Borrego this year:

Super Bloom Of Wildflowers Days Away In Anza-Borrego Desert | KPBS

I was out there again today. MarciaMarciaMarcia, if you read this, I thought of you when I found a sea of desert lilies off of S2 near Ocotillo. I took some photos and will try to post them later. Also along S2, there will be a beautiful bloom of purple lupine heading towards Ocotillo. Right now, only a few blooms on the side of the road; I'd guess 2-3 weeks for the full bloom. You'll need to park and walk a bit to see it.

Box Canyon (also on S2) is coming along nicely, but won't hit the full peak for a few weeks.

I also went down to the visitor's center in Borrego Springs today. Even on a weekday, there were a lot of people visiting. If you go there, head out towards the mountains from the center on foot, and you are away from the crowds and in the thick of the flowers.

I spent a little time around Henderson Road today, but it looks like things won't peak in about two weeks in that area.

Where ever you go, be sure to get out of your car! You'll see flowers just driving through, but the desert wildflowers are best seen close up, and you can only do that on foot.

Again, for updates on where to go (understand that everyone else will be trodding the same paths):

Anza-Borrego Desert Wildflowers Update

Old 03-07-2017, 10:25 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
^^^Please post pics, Rosie!

Old 03-09-2017, 01:10 PM

440 posts, read 534,186 times
We went to the park yesterday and enjoyed seeing all the flowers. Our last time was exactly 25 years ago and it did look much the same! We drove from Point Loma and went out via the "northern" route, approaching on Montezuma Valley Road, and returning on the "southern" route via 78/79/8. Each route was just under two hours.

The visitor's center was crowded; parking was tight but possible. Mostly we saw the ground flowers blooming but some of the trees and bushes are starting to bloom, and the cacti are budding.

Close to Santa Ysabel we saw a huge bird of prey overhead - I assumed an eagle but from the black and white coloring maybe osprey? I did read there was a wild condor sighted in the Cuyamaca area a few days ago but it's unlikely that's what we saw - wishful thinking!

Along the way, in addition to the bird, we saw cows, horses, goats, and turkeys. Twice we saw a coyote cross the road, and once we saw two deer cross the road. I do not know why any of them crossed the road but they all got safely to the other side.

Visitor's Center:

Palm Canyon trail:

Di Giorgio Road:

Henderson Canyon Road:

Buttes Pass Road:

[CENTER]SaveSaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 03-09-2017, 02:16 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
I tried booking a hotel room on the 18th of March and all hotels with in 2 hrs radius of Anza Borrego State Park are fully booked. seems millions are anticipating the bloom and thought this date is the full bloom

Old 03-09-2017, 05:35 PM

440 posts, read 534,186 times
Hard to believe every hotel within 2 hours is booked - we live on Point Loma and it took us less than 2 hours to drive each way. Poway and East County would be closer yet.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:43 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
@CatWarmer You may want to also consider putting some of those pictures in the California pictures thread. This 'Super Bloom' has made national news and I'm sure people are wondering what it is about.

We may be headed out there this weekend. Did the trip last year, but it was no where as impressive as this year.

BTW, camping out there is free and no permit is needed, AFAIK. We were out there a month ago (Hawk Canyon off Butte Pass) to watch the stars in the sky. There are signs to guide people as to where parking is allowed and prohibited.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:57 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
I tried booking a hotel room on the 18th of March and all hotels with in 2 hrs radius of Anza Borrego State Park are fully booked. seems millions are anticipating the bloom and thought this date is the full bloom
You can camp on blm lands for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego