Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:47 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
That's good news. I am glad I can find parking there. It's a very big lot though. I have to take pictures to remember where I parked so that I am not frustrated trying to find my car.
Just take the bus, it's easier. The MTS Bus #7 goes right past Balboa Park, and you just choose your stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 01:21 AM

320 posts, read 2,529,252 times
Never been to the park and thinking of going out that way around the 14th/15th of April. Still a decent amount to see around that time? Going with a four year old but she enjoys the outdoors... obviously no heavy duty hiking though. So even if the flowers are on the wane, I imagine there is still al lot of natural beauty to see... small hikes/road trip. Just want to be sure there's enough to warrant a couple nights stay out there for a get away. (coming down from north orange county). Stay in Borrego Springs perhaps.

Last edited by motifone; 04-05-2017 at 01:29 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 09:05 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,744,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
Never been to the park and thinking of going out that way around the 14th/15th of April. Still a decent amount to see around that time? Going with a four year old but she enjoys the outdoors... obviously no heavy duty hiking though. So even if the flowers are on the wane, I imagine there is still al lot of natural beauty to see... small hikes/road trip. Just want to be sure there's enough to warrant a couple nights stay out there for a get away. (coming down from north orange county). Stay in Borrego Springs perhaps.
There are lots of sights to see and trails to hike. You just have to plan your stay.

Anza Borrego is big. With the exception maybe of Hellhole Palms and one or two other places, it is all desert and mountains.

Several of the fun trails are not well marked off the main roads. You may want to make notes, print out a map, or buy one at the visitor center. You will find lots of great info online, too.

Places I've enjoyed are Mud Caves, Hawk Canyon, Blair Valley, Whale Peak, Box Canyon, Wind Caves, Slot Canyon, Goat Canyon Trestle, and 'nearby' Salton Sea -- something at least worth seeing from a distance.

After a full day of hiking you will have a full night of starlit sky. Some people travel out to the desert just for this.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:39 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
T

Places I've enjoyed are Mud Caves, Hawk Canyon, Blair Valley, Whale Peak, Box Canyon, Wind Caves, Slot Canyon, Goat Canyon Trestle, and 'nearby' Salton Sea -- something at least worth seeing from a distance.

Traveling back from Phoenix to SD, we did go to Salton Sea for a couple hours and it was worth the visit.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:55 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Great post, futbol!

I'd add that, with kids, you may want to look into the Junior Ranger Programs in Anza Borrego (Junior Rangers | Anza-Borrego Foundation (ABF)). When you get to Borrego Springs, make the Park Visitor's Center your first stop -- they have some good exhibits that will put the park and the desert into perspective, and the rangers there can usually give you some ideas on what to see and do.

Another add on to see out Anza Borrego way, east of the Salton Sea:

The Algodones Dunes, near El Centro, southeast California

It's possible to arrange tours of the dunes, which can be a lot of fun for kids (and adults). See: http://glamisatvrentals.com/atv-tours/

It's heating up in the desert right now -- temps could be in the low 90s when you go, so pack lots of water and don't forget hats and sunscreen.

If you want to get out of the heat, you can head up the mountains to Julian (Anza Borrego Park actually goes all the way UP into the mountains). Julian can be fun with kids and wildflowers will just be starting to bloom at the higher elevations. http://www.visitjulian.com/

Old 04-05-2017, 10:01 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Traveling back from Phoenix to SD, we did go to Salton Sea for a couple hours and it was worth the visit.
The rangers do free kayak tours on the weekends- Last time I was cruising through there on my way back from Joshua Tree I just happened into the visitor center ten minutes before one was about to begin. It was great!

Old 04-05-2017, 10:08 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
The rangers do free kayak tours on the weekends- Last time I was cruising through there on my way back from Joshua Tree I just happened into the visitor center ten minutes before one was about to begin. It was great!
What part? Were there any fish die offs?

Old 04-05-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
East side, near the visitor center. No fish die-offs, those usually happen during an algae bloom once it gets hot(ter) out there

Old 04-05-2017, 10:30 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I don't know, but the Salton Sea area has some spectacular scenery, a lot of large birds (so there must be some fish), a geothermal facility, ghost towns. It did not seem smelly. They say there will be problems if the sea evaporates as then all the toxic fertilizer run off on its bottom will dust up to become airborne, but don't have faith as current regime is decimating the administrative state to deal with such.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
I don't know, but the Salton Sea area has some spectacular scenery, a lot of large birds (so there must be some fish), a geothermal facility, ghost towns. It did not seem smelly. They say there will be problems if the sea evaporates as then all the toxic fertilizer run off on its bottom will dust up to become airborne, but don't have faith as current regime is decimating the administrative state to deal with such.
There *are* fish, but only tilapia. They're the only fish that can survive in the high-salinity water! The fish die-offs happen when there are algae blooms- which usually happen when it's hotter out there. It usually doesn't smell in the winter/springtime, but once it gets hot out there and some of the tilapia die off it can get kinda gnarly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego