U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best place to raise kids , safe and family friendly?
Carmel Valley 2 18.18%
Carlsbad 2 18.18%
Encinitas 7 63.64%
Del Sur 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,067 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Los angeles to San diego. I work at Mira Mesa sometimes travel to Irvine.
I am looking for an area to be safe to raise kids . Most important thing is to have very good schools and safe and family friendly area. My budget is around 900K to buy a 3+bedroom house with at least a small backyard.
I know Carmel valley has the best school district with my budget but wonder if Encinitas and Carlsbad could be another option or not.
I have heard different stories about Carlsbad and Encinitas and wonder if any one has any recommendation for these 3 areas and which part of them is best to live.
Carmel valley has small houses and very expensive and schools are great where Carlsbad I can get bigger and cheaper houses but not sure how good schools are and how safe it is . Encinitas is another option between these two.
I appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 08:37 PM

4,259 posts, read 5,180,763 times
Yes, they are all options, with Carlsbad being closest to Irvine for the sometimes travel.
What neighborhood of LA did you live, and what did you like / dislike about it?

Old 03-01-2017, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,067 times
I live in South Pasadena. I love the friendly neighborhood, safety and awesome schools with educated people . The only negative point is that it is very old houses ( 100 years ) and very expensive.

But my only concern is to find the area with very good schools , being safe and family oriented .
Don't know if Carlsbad or Encinitas could compete with Carmel Valley or not!

Old 03-01-2017, 09:17 PM

7,878 posts, read 23,854,815 times
It really depends on the house. Big spread in Del Sur or Carlsbad would be better than a tract home in Carmel Valley. They are all comparable enough that I wouldn't make the decision based on school district alone.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:25 PM

4,259 posts, read 5,180,763 times
I recall a neighborhood of Encinitas for which the local school was supposed not as good.
Some would say a 100 yo home has more character and charm and positive than the homogeneous beige newer homes (if money to fix up).
CV has most consistent school district but it is suburbia on steroids.
Pasadena seems to have a good rep.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:40 AM

3,168 posts, read 1,464,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan2015 View Post
I live in South Pasadena. I love the friendly neighborhood, safety and awesome schools with educated people . The only negative point is that it is very old houses ( 100 years ) and very expensive.

But my only concern is to find the area with very good schools , being safe and family oriented .
Don't know if Carlsbad or Encinitas could compete with Carmel Valley or not!
One thing to be aware of is that the school districts in that area don't always align neatly with city borders. For instance, some parts of South Carlsbad are in the Encinitas elementary district, while parts of western Carlsbad are in the San Marcos district.

At the middle school and high school level, Encinitas and most of Carmel Valley are actually in the same high school district, the San Dieguito district.

But there's a portion of what some people call Carmel Valley on the western edge that is actually part of the Poway school District for k-12. Del Sur is part of the Poway School district too.

Here is a map that will give you some idea of where the district boundaries lay, but as you work with a realtor, they can also help you define which districts and schools individual homes you are considering are assigned to. http://www.sandiegocounty.gov/audito.../schoolmap.pdf

However, ALL of these districts are excellent - truly the cream of the crop in San Diego County - and so are the schools in these districts. They are certainly the equivalent of the public schools in South Pasadena Unified.

So, I wouldn't stress too much over the relatively minute differences between individual schools or school districts, but rather focus on finding community that feels comfortable to you and your family, and a home that fits your budget. http://www.sandiegocounty.gov/audito.../schoolmap.pdf

Based on the communities you are considering, you might add Solana Beach and Poway to your list.

Solana Beach may be a bit out of your price point, but it is a very nice community with an excellent elementary school district. For middle and high school, it is in the San Dieguito district.

Poway is inland, but since you are already considering Del Sur, you'll be looking a little inland anyhow. The Poway school district is excellent, it's a very family friendly community, and your housing budget will go farther there. And, if you are looking for something a little different then a tract home neighborhood, some parts of Poway may fit the bill better than Carmel Valley.

Good luck with your home search!

Old 03-02-2017, 11:48 AM

4,483 posts, read 7,099,534 times
Everyone hit the nail on the head so far. I live in Santaluz and looked in several of these neighborhoods when we were looking several years ago when we moved here. Schools are great in all of these areas.

If you're working in Mira Mesa then I'd much prefer to live closer to it vs. Carlsbad and Encinitas. That's a longer commute. Carmel Valley and Del Sur will be much easier vs. Carlsbad.

One thing to pay attention in Del Sur is the big Mello Roos taxes. They are pretty high in Del Sur. So add in that cost so you can get a total picture of what your cash outlay will be for your annual budget.

Carmel Valley has EXCELLENT schools and some nice houses. I just couldn't get over the density in many neighborhoods you have 5 or 6 immediate neighbors looking into your backyard. But it's a great area and very convenient.

As Sassberto mentioned, don't make it on school district alone. But I'd think about everything. School district, budget/taxes, quality of life, commute to work, etc.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:06 PM

175 posts, read 91,097 times
A lot of good information here from posters here. From my personal experience, if schools, family friendly and safe are your key criteria, you certainly can't go wrong in Carmel Valley. We've raised our kids from toddlers to high school (the present) in CV. It's truly a family friendly neighborhood with a plethora of kids activities from organized sports leagues to scouting/adventure guides, etc to fun family events. Some say it's like Disneyland with all the options.

The schools as others have stated are top notch. See this link. Not that ratings are everything but you'll see that the top 3 schools all serve CV (and good info on schools in all the areas on your short list). The quality of the students (and parents) in CV is fantastic. We just did the Torrey Pines versus Canyon Crest decision for both of our kids and I can say that both schools are truly special. Torrey Pines is strong academically and also often the top athletic school in the state. Canyon Crest is focused on arts and sciences and has advanced programs in each.

https://www.niche.com/k12/rankings/p...go-metro-area/

Safety is not an issue at all in CV.

I don't mean to promote CV versus the other places you've mentioned, as I don't know them well. Just wanted to give our experience in CV.

Good luck with your choice!

Old 03-02-2017, 03:06 PM

839 posts, read 1,151,171 times
We did the same analysis when we moved to the area several years ago. Although I work from home so commute was not an issue.

We ended up in South Carlsbad, right on the Encinitas border. So we are in the Encinitas/San Dieguito school district.

We ruled CV out right way as the area is too dense. The lots are smaller, and houses too close together. I don't want to hear my next-door neighbor's phone ring or hear their conversations when they have a BBQ party.

Plus CV residents end up having to come to Encinitas whenever they want to shop at Target or home Depot.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:20 PM

4,483 posts, read 7,099,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
We did the same analysis when we moved to the area several years ago. Although I work from home so commute was not an issue.

We ended up in South Carlsbad, right on the Encinitas border. So we are in the Encinitas/San Dieguito school district.

We ruled CV out right way as the area is too dense. The lots are smaller, and houses too close together. I don't want to hear my next-door neighbor's phone ring or hear their conversations when they have a BBQ party.

Plus CV residents end up having to come to Encinitas whenever they want to shop at Target or home Depot.
Hey Axxlrod!

Good to see you're still in the area. Did you end up buying? Definitely it's easier when you work from home.

We ruled out Carmel Valley for the same reasons you did.

But CV residents don't have to go all the way up to Encinitas to go to Home Depot or Target. They have a big Target near 4S Ranch (can just jump on Carmel Valley Road to Camino del Sur) and there is a Home Depot in Mira Mesa that is pretty convenient for those living in Carmel Valley. Carlsbad is definitely a nice area. I have lots of friends up there but very rarely do we have the need to go up that way unless we're going somewhere specific up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego