Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2017, 12:13 PM

119 posts, read 156,206 times

Advertisements

Anyone moving from So Cal to the PNW will regret that decision. The weather is so nasty you will be very depressed. Mark my words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 01:47 PM

50,283 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I will say SD has lost a lot of its appeal mainly to the sheer volume of people living here now. Anything out of the ordinary you have to plan the entire day around. I picked up a bicycle in Carlsbad and it took me over 5 hours to do the round trip. There is rush hour like traffic even on the weekends now. The number of homeless, and the problems associated is off the charts compared to back in the 80s. Some times its hard to enjoy what S Cal offers when you are competing with hundreds of thousands of people trying to do the same. Things like 4th of july viewings just drain the people that have to drive. SD is really spread out and public transportation sucks. I normally just opt to take my bicycle but even that is getting too dangerous here. The roads are the worst I've ever seen them.

That and I don't know how my kids will be able to afford it here unless we kick off soon

Old 03-25-2017, 03:26 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
To those of us who lived here back in the 60's the difference is like night and day. Small time Navy town. Also quite a bit more blue collar than the present employment environment. You could buy a respectable starter home for 25,000.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:39 PM

782 posts, read 759,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I will say SD has lost a lot of its appeal mainly to the sheer volume of people living here now. Anything out of the ordinary you have to plan the entire day around. I picked up a bicycle in Carlsbad and it took me over 5 hours to do the round trip. There is rush hour like traffic even on the weekends now. The number of homeless, and the problems associated is off the charts compared to back in the 80s. Some times its hard to enjoy what S Cal offers when you are competing with hundreds of thousands of people trying to do the same. Things like 4th of july viewings just drain the people that have to drive. SD is really spread out and public transportation sucks. I normally just opt to take my bicycle but even that is getting too dangerous here. The roads are the worst I've ever seen them.

That and I don't know how my kids will be able to afford it here unless we kick off soon
How long did it take you to get from Point A to Carlsbad?

The economy is good now, more people are working ,people are out spending money, driving around, camping and going to the mall, themeparks and etc along with that making babies.

The next crash is looming and it will be a big one with the credit card debt people are amassing. I have credit cards but I carry no balances, and have $0 CC debt. I have some coworkers at work who are a lot younger than me and are not at the same pay grade, much lower levels, and they have 2 to 3 kids and spend money like there is no tomorrow, go on vacation and travel all the time, buying new gadgets, smart phones and TVs, on top of that they go out to eat for lunch everyday. I know they are living off of CC, because there is no way they are making enough money to keep the machine going.

Often these are the same type of people I see who frequent Legoland and Disney with their 3 kids, do the math on the $ totals for the day, admission, food and hotel if staying in the area.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:44 PM

782 posts, read 759,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
To those of us who lived here back in the 60's the difference is like night and day. Small time Navy town. Also quite a bit more blue collar than the present employment environment. You could buy a respectable starter home for 25,000.
You can get a nice starter home today in Detroit or Camden for $25K and less with ease.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...59_rect/10_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/camden-nj_rb/

Old 03-25-2017, 03:47 PM

5,194 posts, read 6,139,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I never had the strength or courage to move to San Diego, I spent considerable time there during the 80's and fell in love, although my love affair with California started in the 60's with visiting family who were living in LA and the Bay Area.

We have visited every square inch of California over the years and it literally grabbed my soul. In 2010 I had an excellent job opportunity to finish out my career in San Diego but even starting in the upper 80's for salary with a family of four I could not make the numbers work.

It was not meant to be and we have moved on......................you can't go back in time but oh how the mid 1940's until the early 1970's must of really been the time to live in California.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:12 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
I've never fit here so I have been wanting to exit for some time. many people many with no regard for their fellow human beings imho.

We just went into escrow on a home. beach 400 yards away 4 beds 2 baths triple garage on a 1/2 acre surrounded by mature trees. $400k.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
How long did it take you to get from Point A to Carlsbad?

The economy is good now, more people are working ,people are out spending money, driving around, camping and going to the mall, themeparks and etc along with that making babies.

The next crash is looming and it will be a big one with the credit card debt people are amassing. I have credit cards but I carry no balances, and have $0 CC debt. I have some coworkers at work who are a lot younger than me and are not at the same pay grade, much lower levels, and they have 2 to 3 kids and spend money like there is no tomorrow, go on vacation and travel all the time, buying new gadgets, smart phones and TVs, on top of that they go out to eat for lunch everyday. I know they are living off of CC, because there is no way they are making enough money to keep the machine going.

Often these are the same type of people I see who frequent Legoland and Disney with their 3 kids, do the math on the $ totals for the day, admission, food and hotel if staying in the area.
If the cc debt house of cards falls that will be epic.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblazen View Post
Anyone moving from So Cal to the PNW will regret that decision. The weather is so nasty you will be very depressed. Mark my words.
Words marked... I cringe at Cali.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:09 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I never had the strength or courage to move to San Diego, I spent considerable time there during the 80's and fell in love, although my love affair with California started in the 60's with visiting family who were living in LA and the Bay Area.

We have visited every square inch of California over the years and it literally grabbed my soul. In 2010 I had an excellent job opportunity to finish out my career in San Diego but even starting in the upper 80's for salary with a family of four I could not make the numbers work.

It was not meant to be and we have moved on......................you can't go back in time but oh how the mid 1940's until the early 1970's must of really been the time to live in California.
Yep my time in SoCal, well born in mid 40's. By the 80's it was going down compared to what it was. Still a beautiful State but too crowded and expensive. Many things to do but hard to get to them and enjoy them now. Moved out 3 times and the last time was 2009. May move back, may not. I will know in a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego