Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 09:04 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Today was quite a day. People shaking fists at one another on the road. Trucks racing cars at 100 mph on interstate 5. Then a dual car fire and a man threatening to jump onto the 8 from the 5 overpass. Certainly made an impression on me.

Are these type of things same or different in WA ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 11:26 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
As a general rule, different. You do have some tailgaters in WA on the 5, but on the whole, significantly reduced aggressive driving compared with California. Now, if the 5 and another major interstate were jammed for hours because of a jumper, no doubt Washington commuters would get annoyed and aggressive just like their California counterparts. But the speeds in WA are a bit slower, you have less dopes in their ricers and exhaust fartcannons gunning their garbage V-4s, and on the whole driving in the PNW is more pleasant than, say, the 5 or 15 in San Diego, anywhere in Los Angeles ever, or the greater SF metro area. Even in Seattle, I've had people let me in when trying to get over or merge; not everyone, of course, but there is a bit more courtesy in the big Washington metros, no doubt about it.

I will also say, Portland is the real shocker -- no one ever, and I mean ever, hits or blares their car horn in frustration. People simply don't do it. Also, Portland drivers stop for pedestrians. Everywhere. In fact, the main thoroughfares throughout Portland have permanent electronic fixtures, signs, and road markings which require "pedestrians first." They are everywhere and prominent. Anyone from Portland can confirm that people do indeed stop for pedestrians, and horn use is very rare. I haven't heard a car horn in Portland in three years. Truth.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:42 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
22 days.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:45 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
As a general rule, different. You do have some tailgaters in WA on the 5, but on the whole, significantly reduced aggressive driving compared with California. Now, if the 5 and another major interstate were jammed for hours because of a jumper, no doubt Washington commuters would get annoyed and aggressive just like their California counterparts. But the speeds in WA are a bit slower, you have less dopes in their ricers and exhaust fartcannons gunning their garbage V-4s, and on the whole driving in the PNW is more pleasant than, say, the 5 or 15 in San Diego, anywhere in Los Angeles ever, or the greater SF metro area. Even in Seattle, I've had people let me in when trying to get over or merge; not everyone, of course, but there is a bit more courtesy in the big Washington metros, no doubt about it.

I will also say, Portland is the real shocker -- no one ever, and I mean ever, hits or blares their car horn in frustration. People simply don't do it. Also, Portland drivers stop for pedestrians. Everywhere. In fact, the main thoroughfares throughout Portland have permanent electronic fixtures, signs, and road markings which require "pedestrians first." They are everywhere and prominent. Anyone from Portland can confirm that people do indeed stop for pedestrians, and horn use is very rare. I haven't heard a car horn in Portland in three years. Truth.
Your detailed description seems accurate, though if you go on a thread per city on topic you may not be able to detect any difference. I hope to spend a few days in Portland and area this summer.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:49 AM

686 posts, read 1,137,538 times
San Diego, Boston, New York, Atlanta, Houston, Chicago and yes even Seattle. Urban driving sucks pretty much anywhere. I agree the drivers in the Pacific Northwest are more polite especially to pedestrians but driving in Seattle sucks too. Soul sucking traffic, and lots of idiots for no reason just sitting in the left lane. SD drivers are much more polite than many places in the country such as Houston, Boston, or Miami.

AAdad, you will be missed and thanks for all your contributions. It does seem most of your complaints about San Diego revolve around driving. I hear you but don't judge a city by the aggressive, idiot drivers. Boston and NYC are great places but also show the worst of humanity when on the roads. The difference of course is that you don't need to drive in these places. Uber and Lyft are really fantastic and cheap in SD and hopefully in ten years, with the advent of self driving cars, living car free will be a real option for urban dwellers.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:25 AM

7,408 posts, read 6,537,276 times
...and Portland has evolved into a very good foodie city--considerably better than SD....perhaps due to the fact many people from the Bay Area relocated there?....and Seattle has the 2 best steakhouses on the West Coast--Metropolitan Grill and John Howie (avoid El Gaucho)....not saying I, personally, would move based there just for the food but I definitely have great options when I visit on business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post

Old 03-31-2017, 12:24 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I just love the way so many people assume someone's here illegally just by looking at them.
Unless youre completely stupid you can make an educated guess tho usually this includes listening too.
My hispanic friends can tell them from a much further distance than I can.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:59 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
San Diego, Boston, New York, Atlanta, Houston, Chicago and yes even Seattle. Urban driving sucks pretty much anywhere. I agree the drivers in the Pacific Northwest are more polite especially to pedestrians but driving in Seattle sucks too. Soul sucking traffic, and lots of idiots for no reason just sitting in the left lane. SD drivers are much more polite than many places in the country such as Houston, Boston, or Miami.

AAdad, you will be missed and thanks for all your contributions. It does seem most of your complaints about San Diego revolve around driving. I hear you but don't judge a city by the aggressive, idiot drivers. Boston and NYC are great places but also show the worst of humanity when on the roads. The difference of course is that you don't need to drive in these places. Uber and Lyft are really fantastic and cheap in SD and hopefully in ten years, with the advent of self driving cars, living car free will be a real option for urban dwellers.
Perhaps your right, I don't like aggressive drivers that is for sure. There is also the simple lack of cohesion in this community (for Me). I think everyone finds their spot(s) where they are comfortable. It may be in the stars.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:03 PM
4SR

75 posts, read 105,837 times
OP isn't moving to Seattle, but let's make this clear:

Traffic (ranked by worst) are as follows according to the new Business insider article.

1. LA
2. San Fran
3. New York
4. Seattle

Old 03-31-2017, 03:51 PM

1,051 posts, read 796,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
A traveler came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. Eager to rest his feet, the wanderer hailed the countryman, who seemed happy enough to straighten his back and talk for a moment.
"What sort of people live in the next town?" asked the stranger.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer, answering the question with another question.

"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."

"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town.

Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.

Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.

"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.

"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."

"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego