Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 12:06 PM

43 posts, read 56,938 times

Advertisements

I've owned dogs all my life, and I can definitely say: dog owners can be the absolutely worst entitled narcissists. Tips to be a decent citizen: 1) I'm the one who owns my home, pay the taxes on it, works on it. Unless you buy my home, you aren't invited to let your dog on my lawn. It's not your property, hence you're not entitled to it. 2) Not everyone likes dogs. Many people have been bitten. Assuming that everyone in the world wants your special, adorable, brilliant, unique dog near them is pretty arrogant. Restrain your dog unless it's invited to approach someone else or their property. 3) Taking dogs into stores/restaurants is a selfish move unless they're a service dog. We don't want germs/fleas/slobber on the food we eat or buy. We also don't want to track flea eggs from your dog into our homes. 4) Dogs tend to bark when left alone. Use a video camera or ask neighbors, but get a handle on how much noise your dog makes in your absence. I could go on and on, but the point is there are MANY valid reasons why people end up disliking dogs due to their irresponsible owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 02:37 PM

50,069 posts, read 46,633,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Unless your neighbor is 6 inches and 50 pounds bigger than you, pick up the dog crap and deposit it back on his front lawn.
Door step

Old 03-25-2017, 03:58 PM

511 posts, read 617,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We had to resort to the cameras and it's lame. We've only had a problem with a couple of people but it does stop once they get tired of picking it off their driveways. We even had a note with it, ya you dropped something.
That, actually, was going to be my next move if the sign didn't work. I hadn't thought to include such a clever note, though. I'll remember this if I ever run into the problem again. hehehe

Old 05-29-2017, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 2,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We've had dogs for almost 40 years and I'm a dog lover and I think you're being a little short sighted, no wonder some homeowners (rightly) think dog owners are inconsiderate. I think homeowners have every right to object to someone else's dog going in their yard.

I always gave our dogs time to go in our yard before we went for a walk whether that took a minute or ten, our purpose was walking, not to give the dog a chance to pee or poop. We always took a plastic bag with us, but rarely needed it. And the only peeing they might do was marking, which is very low volume but we usually didn't stop and let them pee. If they really have to pee again, they can when we get home again.
I have no grass in my yard, but I do pick up after him. and being a shelter dog he will NOT go anywhere BUT the grass.
What to do?

Old 05-29-2017, 10:22 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,203,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camille124 View Post
I have no grass in my yard, but I do pick up after him. and being a shelter dog he will NOT go anywhere BUT the grass.
What to do?
So you bring him to the neighbors???

Nope.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:50 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,518,915 times
Original poster mentioned he cannot have any signage present due to HOA.
I like the camera idea. OP, perhaps you could install one of these, a motion activated sprinkler:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D4GCGJY...a-311195104309

Old 05-29-2017, 12:10 PM

15 posts, read 46,442 times
If the HOA has an issues with dog signage, then I suggest start plopping dog deposits in front of the HOA office and its board members. Perhaps the issue of dog signage will make a change with that incentive.

As an owner, we try to do our part -- take her out before walks in our own yard and set up for success. It still happens, especially when she gets all excited and sees her friends out, so the obligatory bag carrying and deposit BACK AT HOME is still a 100% need.

We're fortunate enough to have a respectful neighborhood that stool isn't an issue; the urination does happen a bit since we have a very inviting green lawn, so spots appear toward the end of the summer.

We're fine with it; but understand others may not be and that's each own's choice . Would suggest the signage and attach doggie bags for the BMs at the very least. Then move onwards to board shaming with camera captures -- nextdoor is a great way if rebuffed by the neighbor with a simple direct request.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:48 PM

212 posts, read 155,121 times
I've learned that San Diego overall isn't very dog tolerant. I think most home owners would be happy if all dogs at the shelters were killed and if it was illegal to own a dog so you don't have to worry about finding crap on your yard. Most rentals don't allow dogs either. When I walk my dog, I always pick up his crap. While I don't let him at peoples' front yard, if he has to go he uses that small strip of grass that usually is covered in weeds. Again I pick up after him. As far as urine, he goes there too. Maybe I should start carrying around a cup and holding it under his dog privates so on your weeds you won't have dog urine?

Do home owners get upset when birds crap on their property and not pick up after themselves? What about cats that stroll the neighborhood?

Yes there are irresponsible pet owners who ruin it for us however, keep in mind that with no much anti dog stuff you do, that they will probably still be irresponsible. For instance I take my dog on 3 walks a day with 1 being on the beach in Crown Point. The beaches and parks here have restricted hours for dogs which is stupid because most of the time during the week, it can be 4PM and the beach is empty. I contacted parks and recs about this and all they said that the law was put in place about 25 years ago due to crowds at the beach. Again most times during the weekday, the beaches are typically empty especially if it's not a sunny day. I still follow the law despite me thinking how stupid it really is. You also are always supposed to keep your dogs on leash which again, I follow. While most people at the beach do pick up after their dogs, most keep their dog off leash which I think is probably more irresponsible than not picking up after your dog. For instance this weekend I went to walk my dog on the beach. This lab was off leash while his owner was some 20 feet away from him.My dog is not good with dogs his size or larger when he is on leash. Her dog is walking up to us as the owner says "Is your dog friendly?" I said no he is not good with large dogs. Her dog continues to approach my dog and my dog barks super loudly for the dog to get the f away from us. She then grabbed her dog but still do you think she put him on leash? No. On the way back from the walk, I see the dog is still off leash and I see the dog crouch down taking a dump. The owner did not pick it up and I know she had to have seen it (in fairness, when I left maybe she did pick it up but I doubt it). The off leash thing to me is by far worse than the poop thing.

With so many problems in the world, it looks so trivial getting angry about the occasional dog turd showing up on your yard. Maybe just get a camera, take pictures of the owner, enlarge the photos and place them on your house. Probably not worth the trouble but it's an option.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:05 PM

22,581 posts, read 24,392,889 times
Yeah, I KNOW................everyone who owns a Poopeaterivore pick-up after their smelly, dimwitted Beast.

Just like, yah, yah........every smoker proclaims that THEY never throw their filthy cigarette-butts on the ground!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-29-2017, 11:00 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,158,073 times
My neighbors that live in front of me don't believe in taking their dog for a walk like the other tenants that have dogs where I live, so she craps wherever she feels like. One day she pooped in the grass in front of my apartment, and when I asked the husband to clean it up, his response was, "I'll tell my wife to pick it up." It didn't happen, so I took a picture of it and emailed it to the property manager. He called them, end of problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: