Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:00 AM

4 posts, read 17,991 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to San Diego from Massachusetts. The main reason being the weather. I can't stay here for another winter where you spend an hour digging your car out of the snow and it hurts to breathe because the air is so cold. Also, the laid back atmosphere of Southern CA.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:16 AM

54 posts, read 128,508 times
Default On the horizon

San Diego is one of the top five places I would like to visit as a possible relocation option. I hope to find the right place by the time our youngest will be off to college in fall of 2010. People consistently tell me my personality is quintessentially Californian in that I am friendly, approachable and relaxed. I can often be found perusing the SD threads for information on what life is like in SoCal. I seem to stick out like a sore thumb here in the Detroit Metro.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:50 PM

465 posts, read 2,426,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Quite a few people in this forum are considering a move to San Diego in the near future, and I'm just curious to see where you will be moving here from.

It's simple, just give a quick bio and what you're looking for in this city.
I've been trying to get back to San Diego (or California really) since I left Sacramento in 2004. I want to come the end of next year/ beginning of 2010 from North Carolina. Why? I just love California, and I'm tired of the rainy, overcast depressing days in the south. I love the sun, the shoreline, and outdoor activities. I don't know a soul in San Diego, I'm just going for it. And it's the only place in southern California I can think of I could actually stand to live. Because other than San Diego, the rest of "southern California" is just L.A. and surrounding areas. And I just don't think I can stomach L.A. Just my visits alone turned my stomach. People are so fake and transparent. Ughh!!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,747 times
HI, I'M YELLING FOR WARM WEATHER IM FROM GRAND RAPIDS MICHIGAN. IT IS STARTING TO GET MUCH COOLER AT NIGHT AND I JUST DONT WANT TO DEAL ANYMORE WITH SNOW. (cant say that word to loud might just start snowing) LOL

Old 10-21-2008, 01:28 PM

35 posts, read 85,586 times
We live in South Africa and have visited various parts of the USA.
We plan to move to the USA in the not too distant future.
We really like SD although there is a strong pull to PA due to some family there.
Coming from South Africa I am sure we would cope a lot better with the Southern CA weather than in the NE USA.

I know that one's dollar appears to buy you a lot more outside CA but the pull of the weather, lifestyle and support infrastructure (lot's of ex SA people there) is a huge attraction.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:36 PM

22 posts, read 72,233 times
To find ex-pats:

1) Call your country's consulate in Sacramento, L.A. or S.D. They might have info about cultural festivities or expat gatherings.

2) Try a church in the same dominant faith as your home (works better to ask at a mosque for muslim friends, or at temple for Jewish friends)

3) Meetup.com I think thats what its called...google online meetings

I find all of these helpful, as a Canuck, my US Sailor has bounced me from Keflavik, Iceland to Naples, Italy and now to S.D. in January and I've found fellow Canadians at each place using these methods.

Hope it helps! Welcome if you decide to come!

Old 10-31-2008, 11:44 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Quite a few people in this forum are considering a move to San Diego in the near future, and I'm just curious to see where you will be moving here from.

It's simple, just give a quick bio and what you're looking for in this city.
Phoenix,AZ

I'm done with egg frying summers. It's always hot, i like the cold, but my wife doesn't. My wife loves diving and everything about the ocean. She likes Phoenix, but im done with the college town and how people treat each other out here. I've had positive experiences in Sacramento with people and the weather was fair, but i don't want to move back to that city.

San Diego is one of many area's considered.

San Diego
Australia
Relocating to northern Phoenix
Florida

These are a few area's im looking into. Still have 2-3 years, i got plenty of time.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:10 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,969 times
Not yet, but SOMEDAY. I'm from Connecticut.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,834 times
Cool Hmm...

Lets see....I was born in L.A. Raised in Oklahoma City and my Wife is From South Windsor,Connecticut. Before we met I was looking into relocating to California. L.A. was out...Although,I love to Visit San Francisco...San Diego just felt right for me...I love the same thing most people posted..Then when I got married...My Wife wanted to visit and we came out to Diego twice in 12 months and she felt the same as I...We compared it to other cities,but we felt more at piece with San Diego. She and I both loved the climate...you couldn't be it!! It really was the feeling we got being in the city...The people,Climate,the beach,etc...was the bonus. We plan to relocate in the fall. What's best about San Diego to me...it's a major city with a relax and small town feel.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:40 PM

52 posts, read 174,270 times
Default Buy a house to take advantage of the market, or wait for SD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inferno View Post
Instead of listing the obvious reasons for moving, I'll tell a story instead:

I planned a vacation to SD to drive up to wedding with a friend in the LA area. Right before I flew out there from Nashville, her parents were in a bad accident and (obviously) her attention was focused on getting them through it. I had a rental car and in addition to helping her out, I was able to drive around town on my own (primarily looking for coffee shops). I fell in love with the place! Like someone else said in an earlier post, something spoke to me while I was there. I was buying a house at the time and I said 2 things to myself as I was leaving -- 1. How could I leave paradise? and 2. If buying my house falls through, I'm definitely moving here!

Guess what just happened last week?!?
I recently had an experience similar to what "The Inferno" had. I put an offer on a house in the Northern Virginia area before going on my bi-annual winter vacation to San Diego. While I was in San Diego, I found out that the house was sold to someone else. This could be a sign to save up for San Diego instead of buying in the Washington DC Metro area! On top of that, housing is so expensive in Washington DC, much of the housing costs more than comparable homes in San Diego.

Seriously though now is THE time to buy a house, especially before the $7,500 interest free tax loan assistance expires in the summer of 2009. I don't want to miss the buyers market, but at the same time I don't want to buy a house and regret not being in a better area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego