Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 03:33 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,303,624 times

Advertisements

Just curious what type of citizens advocacy sites are available in San Diego and San Diego county that citizens can bring up their concerns and actually be heard by officials?

I know that Orange County, particularly in Huntington Beach has websites such as OC tea party and OC politics blog where citizens and council members unite and actually solves issues in the community including road, traffic, development, and city policy making. I know that they made unprecedented strides in citizens making a difference in policy making and local decisions. Ie legalizing fireworks, fighting unjust city ordinance and parking citations, and in Huntington Beach overturning the grocery bag fee ordinance and stopping high density development that the city cannot sustain with its current traffic situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 08:21 PM

300 posts, read 328,948 times
The best sites are probably in front of your local city council during their meetings.

Then again, Vista City Council certainly could care less what the residents think. I'm sure other city councils are going to be in the same mode, but at the very least it's somewhat entertaining to vent in front of them.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
The best sites are probably in front of your local city council during their meetings.

Then again, Vista City Council certainly could care less what the residents think. I'm sure other city councils are going to be in the same mode, but at the very least it's somewhat entertaining to vent in front of them.
While I never been to a Vista City Council meeting, I been to ones in NorCal and I noticed that city councils as well as county or state politicians normally couldn't care less about what residents think. All they will care is whether they will please the lobbyists whom they are friends with so doesn't matter if the whole city lines up at city hall to protest a measure if lobbyists are friends with city council they will unanimously vote against the will of the citizens.

Though in Huntington Beach the tea party managed to overturn the council and place those who will listen. Alas this is very exceptional than the norm. Though they do have sites that people visit to advocate and come in unison. The problem with a republic democracy is that lobbyists are the 1% but they come in unison while the 99% work alone even if they think alike.

Though I heard that Carlsbad residents came together and rebelled the project of building a large mall in their city as their city already have two malls and is crowded. Even though the city council unanimously ignored large amounts of residents in many meetings no matter how they shouted and approved the project. So the project was ultimately legally voted down. This is a great example of people retaking control of their government.

Its sad these examples are exceptional. As I noticed people in CA barely vote in the general election unless they have strong affiliations with those in power. And they are not willing to try to fight city hall on many matters either.
For example 85% of 40 million CA residents vote for free plastic checkout bags ever time they checkout at a supermarket checkout counter but they were outvoted last election by 15% of those residents who say otherwise.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:27 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,731,709 times
One thing is for sure, there are no shortage of NIMBYs in SD.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:32 PM

300 posts, read 328,948 times
Plenty of the "rules for thee, but not for me" types too.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:12 AM

9,816 posts, read 11,529,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
Plenty of the "rules for thee, but not for me" types too.
So True!
San Diego is fully those types of People.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:44 PM

I am surprised no one on city data knows a real citizensadvocacy site. Though one thing for certain city data isn't really one of them.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:54 PM

91 posts, read 78,767 times
most of the neighborhoods in SD have a CDC or Community Planning group or both. I've no idea what goes on in the 'burbs. HOA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego