Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 593 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are considering making a move from Dallas to the Northern San Diego County area and we could really use some local insight as we've never been there!

Our kids are currently in a play-based private school in Dallas, and we're wanting to make the switch to public in California due to tuition costs. We're flying out next weekend to check out a few schools in Solana Beach, Del Mar, and Encinitas.

We plan to lease a house for the first year or two and have a budget of $3K-$6K, preferably not on the high end of that range. We would love to be close to the beach and are planning to redesign the life we want from scratch since I just lost my job. I have noticed that there are a lot less jobs in San Diego vs. Dallas...

We would love to hear any suggestions or feedback from anyone living in the area who has taken the plunge or knows the area schools, etc well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 11:46 AM

771 posts, read 835,063 times
You didn't give enough info so I'm making some assumptions. If you are planning to move to SD into a leased house and then find a job, do you have a partner still working and/or investments producing roughly $10K-$20K/mo? If not, you're going to find it hard to get a landlord to lease to you. If you have a big pile of cash and are willing to put down a big deposit, you may have some luck with some landlords.

If you are planning to find a job in SD first, I suggest you do that. With that relatively high budget, I assume you were making six figures in Dallas. As you alluded to, I think you'll find jobs are harder to come by in SD and often pay less than other big metros. That plus much higher housing costs than Dallas and you may be in for a rude awakening.

Definitely read the sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalTexastoCali View Post
Hi,

My wife and I are considering making a move from Dallas to the Northern San Diego County area and we could really use some local insight as we've never been there!

Our kids are currently in a play-based private school in Dallas, and we're wanting to make the switch to public in California due to tuition costs. We're flying out next weekend to check out a few schools in Solana Beach, Del Mar, and Encinitas.

We plan to lease a house for the first year or two and have a budget of $3K-$6K, preferably not on the high end of that range. We would love to be close to the beach and are planning to redesign the life we want from scratch since I just lost my job. I have noticed that there are a lot less jobs in San Diego vs. Dallas...

We would love to hear any suggestions or feedback from anyone living in the area who has taken the plunge or knows the area schools, etc well.

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2017, 12:28 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Agree....the rental market here is very tight and you are wanting to be moving into some of the more wealthy beach areas. You didn't say what field you are looking as far as employment but you will most likely need to go through an agency, if you haven't already. You might want to consider Poway which is inland with great schools. It's kind of difficult to suggest places to live without knowing where you will be working because planning for commute times here are essential. Also keep in mind state income taxes and we get taxed one every other thing here too!

Old 04-21-2017, 02:07 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
So you just lost your job, and now you want to move from Dallas to SD, and rent for $6K per month.

I think we're missing something here.... or you're dreaming.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:55 PM

3,392 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Given your circumstances and your need list, I think it would be VERY difficult to remain where are you are financially at the moment, and close to impossible to improve your financial position if you moved here and rented in those areas.

I say this without knowing what industry/career field you are looking to work in- there are some areas here that prosper in comparison to other parts of the country. BUT for the most part you will get at or near the average wage (nationally) but deal with above average to higher COL. This is known as the Sunshine Tax. Folks move here from everywhere and take low ball offers because they dream of living next to the water and not dealing with Winter weather.

I think its very wise if you are moving here to rent at the moment. Honestly, you would be buying at or near the top of the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego