Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 06:00 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,882,430 times

Advertisements

Although this post is certain to generate controversy and accusations of anti-Islam (as any mere mention of Muslims always does) it is nonetheless worthy of discussion.

I am for one aghast that the school district adopted this policy giving Muslim students such special protected status and actually changing menus, holidays, textbooks and creating spaces to bend to only Islamic guidelines and needs of Muslim students. That the whole thing was brought about by the district partnering with CAIR (the council for American-Islamic relations) a group not without controversy and questionable funding is especially troubling.

The whole thing stinks with micro-aggression overkill to a religion know for hyper-sensitivity to every perceived slight that doesn't bend to their every whim. Religion should absolutely be kept out of schools expect for the context of studying history or literature related to all religions. And for one religious group of students to be singled out with special protection and spaces where those not of its religion would not be able to enter when prayers are being held is ludicrous and dangerous. Don't even try to tell me that all of this; menus, holidays and textbooks won't be quietly snuck in in the next few months as this new policy is implemented. All students deserve equal protection from bullying and there should be guidelines and consequences in place in how to deal with them.

I hope the lawsuit brought by parents to dismantle the wrongheaded policy is successful. And to think that I would be supporting the guy who was so vocal in supporting and promoting Proposition 8 in California who is leading this lawsuit.

I'm as liberal as they come but just because I was bullied in middle school because I was gay I sure as hell didn't want to be held out as something or someone special who deserved more protection than anyone else. Bullying is always wrong, and it happens, but bringing more religion to public schools- a religion whose core tenets demand submitting to it over all else- is dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 06:30 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,587,883 times
I hear your points and appreciate your saying them, but I disagree.

Despite the 'separation of church and state', the various Christian and Jewish holidays and values are already embedded in school schedules and texts and policies and values. I think this new policy merely brings Islam up to the same standards.

It's unrealistic and impossible to keep religion out of schools. Religion is part of life. I myself think the world would be a better place without religion, but as long as it exists it shouldn't be "hidden" in schools. Kids need to learn about all the various religions and not be kept in ignorance about them.

Let's keep this an adult, rational discussion as long as possible, folks . . .

Old 05-27-2017, 07:14 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,631,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

Despite the 'separation of church and state', the various Christian and Jewish holidays and values are already embedded in school schedules and texts and policies and values. I think this new policy merely brings Islam up to the same standards.
Playing devil's advocate, but your reasoning is that students of faiths outside of Judeo-Christian religions need to be "brought up to the same standards" as Jewish and Christian students, then shouldn't similar consideration be afforded to students of Hindu, Buddhist, and B'hai faith (among others) as well as atheists, and not just Muslims?

Your argument is a bit like saying that only African Americans deserve equality, but not Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, LGBT, or any other under-represented group.

I'm all for making sure that all under represented groups feel safe and receive equal consideration, but if only one under-represented group is deemed worthy of this treatment, then it is no longer moving towards "equal treatment for all" but rather just creating another "special" group.

So, if the goal is to increase religious tolerance by teaching about religion in classrooms, I'd support a more unilateral approach, where students AND speakers from many different religions are present their beliefs and share their traditions/holidays. Include diferent denominations of Christians and Jews as well (heck, I'd venture to guess that if you ask a Mormon or a Hasidic Jew, they'd say they don't feel their religious beliefs are well represented in public schools). I'd add that atheists should also be included as well.

In short, bring everyone and all religions represented in a school up to the same standards, not just a single religion.

But, that type of inclusion doesn't seem to be the goal with this particular program.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-27-2017 at 07:34 PM..

Old 05-27-2017, 08:39 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,129,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Although this post is certain to generate controversy and accusations of anti-Islam (as any mere mention of Muslims always does) it is nonetheless worthy of discussion.

I am for one aghast that the school district adopted this policy giving Muslim students such special protected status and actually changing menus, holidays, textbooks and creating spaces to bend to only Islamic guidelines and needs of Muslim students. That the whole thing was brought about by the district partnering with CAIR (the council for American-Islamic relations) a group not without controversy and questionable funding is especially troubling.

The whole thing stinks with micro-aggression overkill to a religion know for hyper-sensitivity to every perceived slight that doesn't bend to their every whim. Religion should absolutely be kept out of schools expect for the context of studying history or literature related to all religions. And for one religious group of students to be singled out with special protection and spaces where those not of its religion would not be able to enter when prayers are being held is ludicrous and dangerous. Don't even try to tell me that all of this; menus, holidays and textbooks won't be quietly snuck in in the next few months as this new policy is implemented. All students deserve equal protection from bullying and there should be guidelines and consequences in place in how to deal with them.

I hope the lawsuit brought by parents to dismantle the wrongheaded policy is successful. And to think that I would be supporting the guy who was so vocal in supporting and promoting Proposition 8 in California who is leading this lawsuit.

I'm as liberal as they come but just because I was bullied in middle school because I was gay I sure as hell didn't want to be held out as something or someone special who deserved more protection than anyone else. Bullying is always wrong, and it happens, but bringing more religion to public schools- a religion whose core tenets demand submitting to it over all else- is dangerous.
I could not possibly agree more strongly with this post.

First, a few thoughts. I am officially not a believer and I am vehemently against the establishment of religion, as the actions by the officials in San Diego constitute.

I very strongly support school anti-bullying efforts, especially in regards to LGBT students.

This San Diego policy is simply the outgrowth of efforts during Obama's DOJ to "reach out" to the Somali community because that group was, according to this 2013 DOJ report, fearful of arrests due to the many Somalis going to Somalia to join Al Shabbab (a terrorist group), and because so many Somalis were finding it difficult to reintegrate after returning from incarceration. Two, the policy is part of a coordinated effort on the part of CAIR (an unindicted co-conspirator in the Holyland Foundation Case), a Moslem-Brotherhood front. CAIR aims to portray Moslems as victims, push for Halal food (which necessarily would be problematic to say the least) and to push for the aceptance of Moslem holidays, among other things. They have been successful in this endeavor due to ignorance on the part of people of CAIR's aims, and a desire in many regressive self-described progressives s to appear accepting of Moslems. CAIR seeks to co-opt real victim status, such as that of many bullied groups such as gay kids, and appear progressive and in favor of gays rights (which they are not!).

The evidence of Somali students being targeting in San Diego schools is scant at best. If any religious adherents are being targeted, it's Jews.

Accommodating immigrants and new ideologies is not new to America, but cow-towing to a Moslem-Brotherhood affiliated group (CAIR) which purports to speak for all Moslems, is ridiculous.

Islam is not like other religions, including the Abrahamic religions it seeks to supersede religiously. Islam is the most violent modernly as it has not been reformed, and it has many problems inherent in the religion which make a reformation very difficult.

The very inception of Islam was by the Bedoin Arab Mohamad, who had delusional visions, and who permitted and extolled his followers to engage in raids and take war booty, among many other acts of war. Mohamed is also the ideal person to emulate according to Moslems. Consider that during his lifetime, Mohamed:

623 - Ordered raids on the Meccan caravans
624 - Engaged and led the Battle of Badr
624 - Evicted Qaynuqa Jews from Medina
624 - Ordered the assassination of Abu Afak
624 - Ordered the assassination of Asma bint Marwan
624 - Ordered the assassination of Ka'b al-Ashraf
625 - Engaged and led the Battle of Uhud
625 - Evicted Nadir Jews
627 - Engages and leads the Battle of the Trench
627 - Massacre of the Qurayza Jews
628 - Signs the Treaty of Hudaibiya with Mecca
628 - Engages and leads the destruction and subjugation of the Khaybar Jews
629 - Orders first raid into Christian lands at Muta
630 - Conquers Mecca by surprise (along with other tribes)
631 - Leads second raid into Christian territory at Tabuk

This is not to say that Christianity and Judaism do not have violence in their religious books -- they do. However, such violence is modernly universally condemned. Moreover, the very teachings of someone like Jesus was very much at odds with the violence of the Old Testament, which always created difficulty from a religious perspective. Decentralized Islam, by contrast, is neither reformed nor does its very Prophet have a resume that says much other than violence and conquest. Islam is also cult like in that its believers who stray risk death as death is prescribed for those who leave the faith. So many former Moslems live in great fear even in the West.

Lastly, this movement to, for example, serve Halal food in schools in San Diego, is not new this year.

The mostly violent expansion of Islam came out of Arabia and it Arabized entire populations and created second class status everywhere. Islam is an expansionist, violent, intolerant ideology which seeks only to dominate others. Women and gays, beware.

"Muhammad is a narcissist, a pedophile, a mass murderer, a terrorist, a misogynist, a lecher, a cult leader, a madman, a rapist, a torturer, an assassin and a looter."

-Former Muslim Ali Sina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I14x4-q_Gj4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrJuHWTZqRg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UaBmnrzEHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmlIJ0mUXKU

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 05-27-2017 at 08:59 PM..

Old 05-28-2017, 10:05 AM

5,720 posts, read 4,679,000 times
Islam is not compatible with western cultures. I'm no fan of catering to any single group, but especially one so incompatible with the American way of life.

You want to immigrate to America? Fine. Do it the legal way, and then assimilate. Don't demand that we change our way of life to be more compatible with the way you left behind.

My opinion. Sorry not sorry.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:12 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,919,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

It's unrealistic and impossible to keep religion out of schools. Religion is part of life. I myself think the world would be a better place without religion, but as long as it exists it shouldn't be "hidden" in schools. Kids need to learn about all the various religions and not be kept in ignorance about them.

Let's keep this an adult, rational discussion as long as possible, folks . . .
I agree with this.

I'll comment only on one specific issue mentioned by the OP - changing menus.
I am stridently anti-theist.
I think not eating certain foods for religious reasons is dumb.

But, schools certainly need to consider cultural preferences. I assume many would be opposed to schools serving horse or dog meat - though there's not actual reason not to.

If enough members of a school district have these types of cultural preferences, then, the school should adapt...within reason.

That's where it gets difficult.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:39 AM

50,226 posts, read 46,975,220 times
https://creepingsharia.wordpress.com...n-u-s-schools/

Even if a school district endeavors to provide all students with food satisfying each one’s religious requirements, it would arguably entangle the government in religious observance and so violate the separation of “church” and state.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:51 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,129,154 times
Pork is lean and extremely tasty. Maybe our Somali friends should try it and try out our culture. Oops, it's bigoted to say that.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 05-28-2017 at 11:13 AM..

Old 05-28-2017, 11:46 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,587,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Playing devil's advocate, but your reasoning is that students of faiths outside of Judeo-Christian religions need to be "brought up to the same standards" as Jewish and Christian students, then shouldn't similar consideration be afforded to students of Hindu, Buddhist, and B'hai faith (among others) as well as atheists, and not just Muslims?

Your argument is a bit like saying that only African Americans deserve equality, but not Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, LGBT, or any other under-represented group.

I'm all for making sure that all under represented groups feel safe and receive equal consideration, but if only one under-represented group is deemed worthy of this treatment, then it is no longer moving towards "equal treatment for all" but rather just creating another "special" group.

So, if the goal is to increase religious tolerance by teaching about religion in classrooms, I'd support a more unilateral approach, where students AND speakers from many different religions are present their beliefs and share their traditions/holidays. Include diferent denominations of Christians and Jews as well (heck, I'd venture to guess that if you ask a Mormon or a Hasidic Jew, they'd say they don't feel their religious beliefs are well represented in public schools). I'd add that atheists should also be included as well.

In short, bring everyone and all religions represented in a school up to the same standards, not just a single religion.

But, that type of inclusion doesn't seem to be the goal with this particular program.
I agree, such a program would be far preferable.

But to do nothing at all is not at all preferable. I'll go for the flawed-but-at-least-trying, if that's all that's offered.

Responding to this thread in general, I have to wonder who knows what about Islam. Much of what was said directly contradicts what I know of Islam (which is mostly by acquaintance with Sunni Muslims).

Old 05-28-2017, 11:50 AM

6,494 posts, read 7,517,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I agree with this.
If enough members of a school district have these types of cultural preferences, then, the school should adapt...within reason.
I sort of agree with this, my high school was Hispanic majority, we had Enchilada Wednesdays and this was in the 90's. The rest of the week was pizza, nuggets, burgers and the rest of the crap that is on school menus.

If the SD Unified school district contracts with the Halal Guys Gyros and Chicken franchise from NYC for their Halal food needs, I might just pop in for lunch at Hoover High.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: