U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 09:27 AM

2,666 posts, read 1,593,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohnson99 View Post
Why did I not think of that!? I've been to Coronado a handful of times and always really like it!

I think the only problem would be a lack of inventory in my price range. I could be wrong though.

Thanks!
When I think of walkable I think Coronado where car use is frowned upon. There are more bikes/walkers/golf carts than cars and the only gas station on the island charges an arm and leg more per gallon.

I would strongly consider overpaying for Coronado in two circumstances:

-If you have kids and education is important to you and you want a strong public school. Here it is. To me it would be a no brainer to overpay for a place in Coronado rather than overpay for private school and to live in most other areas in SD.

-you are wealthy and retired and have to live in the area but maybe the hustle/crowds/ atmosphere of SD aren't for you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 09:56 AM

7,031 posts, read 3,750,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
When I think of walkable I think Coronado where car use is frowned upon. There are more bikes/walkers/golf carts than cars and the only gas station on the island charges an arm and leg more per gallon.

I would strongly consider overpaying for Coronado in two circumstances:

-If you have kids and education is important to you and you want a strong public school. Here it is. To me it would be a no brainer to overpay for a place in Coronado rather than overpay for private school and to live in most other areas in SD.

-you are wealthy and retired and have to live in the area but maybe the hustle/crowds/ atmosphere of SD aren't for you.
Coronado probably is the "safest" central core area and it's always seemed like it would be a great place to live to me.

The problem is there may not be a lot of rental inventory for $2500. Some, but not a ton, and you may have to settle for a smaller place. I've also noticed that some ads for rentals on Coronado actually jack up the price during the prime tourist season.

Here's an example of what I mean:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...95_rect/12_zm/

Not only are they jacking up the price during certain months, but apparently you'll have to move out for the month of October.

But, if you have some flexibility in your budget, I would definitely take a look at Coronado. It never hurts to look.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:11 AM

7,031 posts, read 3,750,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
If you are looking for a walkable area sans mass amounts of hipsters, look at La Mesa Village. The walkable areas of SD are infested with skinny jeans.
This might be worth considering. The village area of La Mesa has really been booming lately, with new restaurants and pubs opening and more planned. A younger crowd is moving into that area as well, so it is not entirely a "hipster-free zone" any more. It is beginning to feel a tiny bit like Normal Heights lite in some ways.

While most of La Mesa is not really walkable and is quite suburban, the area surrounding the village is very walkable, with supermarkets, the library, restaurants, pubs, a weekly farmer's market, and shops within a few block area. There are some nice apartment complexes within walking distance, and your budget should get you something roomy there. Actually, you should be able to find something nice and roomy within walking distance of the village for under your budget. It's an easy drive to downtown and beaches, or take the Trolley to downtown, which has a stop in the village.

The "village" area is the area around the intersection of La Mesa Boulevard and Spring Street. The "main street" is La Mesa Boulevard east-west.

Last edited by RosieSD; 06-30-2017 at 10:24 AM..

Old 07-01-2017, 06:06 PM

249 posts, read 148,716 times
Quote:
Very informative!

Based on what you've seen, where is the safest, centrally located neighborhood in SD?
I'm biased i live in South Park now in a townhome on a canyon. I like this area of SP but the area near the high school i can't think of the street but nice homes not as walkable as North Park Hillcrest though still a good walkable area quiet and still a few blocks away from the bars in South Park and quick 5 min uber to North Park 8m to hillcrest 7m to downtown and this is all street time not freeway. No need to take freeway anywhere from South Park. Balboa hospital is 5m away if military or a quick drive to hillcrest, gas stations, less traffic, golf course 3 parks nearby and walking canyons. I also think think Mission Hills is great if you're away from university and Kensington as others have mentioned. La mesa may be too boring for you at the moment but it's safe and the police station is right in the villiage area other's are telling you about. In the future i can see a lot more things going on in the villiage but if you liked Hillcrest i don't think La Mesa is what you're looking for. All great neighborhoods and for the most part safe, i just prefer to live close but not too close to the action

Old 07-03-2017, 09:24 AM

2,314 posts, read 3,438,409 times
Quote:
Why did I not think of that!? I've been to Coronado a handful of times and always really like it!

I think the only problem would be a lack of inventory in my price range. I could be wrong though.

Thanks!
Yes, Coronado is amazing and so close to downtown, but definitely pricey. However, there is a wide mix of housing, so depending on how much space you need, you might find something in your budget. I definitely, definitely recommend checking out Little Italy. I would say it is San Diego's hottest Urban neighborhood at the moment, and it's also the most busy and bustling. The amount of construction going on there is insane. So many places to walk to, mostly restaurants, cafes, breweries, things like that, but also some great little independent shops as well. They are also about to get a really cool Independence grocery store, which has been lacking so far. I really think you'll love Little Italy. My other favorites are North Park and South Park / Golden Hill. The South Park / Golden Hill area is definitely a little quieter than the others and feels more residential, but there are a few different strips of neighborhood retail and restaurants. I agree with Rosie that East Village is sadly overrun with homeless people, which is a relatively recent problem. The area looks great, and there's tons of construction going on over there too, but I don't like walking on the streets there most of the time.

You know, if you want to get a head start on looking at the neighborhoods, then I strongly recommend checking out Google Street View in case you decide to rule out some neighborhoods altogether. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or