Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 03:05 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times

Advertisements

All,

My wife and I currently live in Northern California (East Bay) around Walnut Creek. We've been here for about a year and a half and will be moving again in about a year (I like to plan early). The Bay Area is okay, but we definitely know we don't want to be here any longer than Mid-2018, plus the housing market is atrocious.

We have visited the area multiple times, and love it. That being said, we haven't spent more than a week at a time there. We definitely would want to live in a suburbs, it's just what we prefer. We are mid-twenties, no kids (yet), and enjoy the outdoors in general, going out to eat, hiking, and love the beach. We don't have to live right on the beach, but would ideally like to be within a 30 minute drive to the ocean. Would like a decently safe area, familt friendly, etc...Schools are NOT important anytime soon. We don't mind the normal chain restaurants, we don't need anything extravagant. My wife works from home, so no worries on her finding a job. The only stipulation for me, is for my job I have to live within 50 miles of San Diego, the shorter the commute, the better of course.

We would be renting the first couple years, and then possibly look into buying if we decide we want to stay permanently. Budget for renting would be up to $3000. Budget for buying, would most likely be up to the $600K range, but would ideally like to be around $400K-$500K if possible.

I've looked into a couple towns/cities, but would like to get suggestions from people who know the area way better than I do!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 04:00 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Walnut Creek is just like inland North County SD. I would say look at Carlsbad and 4S ranch

Old 07-01-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Walnut Creek is just like inland North County SD. I would say look at Carlsbad and 4S ranch
I've heard good things about Carlsbad, however doing a quick search for homes online showed me how expensive a stand alone home is. For a decent house (size, quality, etc...) minimum of $700K seems to be common. Buying a condo or townhouse is not a preference, but we would consider it depending on the situation (new, large town homes would be fine).

Last edited by BurnInTheMil; 07-01-2017 at 05:04 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 05:08 PM

A few areas I've looked that homes are affordable and nice (from pictures) at least. There are ALOT of new builds/new construction ongoing in Chula Vista that look super nice, ranging from $450K-$550K

Lemon Grove
National City
San Marcos
Chula Vista

Are these areas decent? Crime map is spotty from what I can tell

Last edited by BurnInTheMil; 07-01-2017 at 05:27 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 06:26 PM

64 posts, read 79,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
A few areas I've looked that homes are affordable and nice (from pictures) at least. There are ALOT of new builds/new construction ongoing in Chula Vista that look super nice, ranging from $450K-$550K

Lemon Grove
National City
San Marcos
Chula Vista

West Chula Vista (West of the 805) is hit or miss, mostly miss. The Hilltop Dr. area is nice (around Hilltop Elem/Middle).

East Chula Vista (East of the 805) is nice. It's suburban, it's < 30 mins from Imperial Beach or Coronado, it's safe, it has a lot of chain restaurants, it's family friendly, and the drive downtown (especially during non-rush hours and if you use the 125 toll road) is not bad at all.

If you're looking at 450-550k, you'll most likely be looking in the older parts of Eastlake (91913 zip) or Otay Ranch (91915 zip). I prefer the older areas of Eastlake. Otay Ranch has a lot of the nice new builds, but I find that things seem slightly worse there. More congestion, more crime (car break-ins, vandalism), less greenery, noisier (so much construction). I think the large mall and its crowds perhaps bring some of the trouble to the area? It's a very nice mall though.

The closer you get to the 805, the sketchier things become - communities like Rancho del Rey (around the Costco) are too similar to West Chula Vista to me.

East Chula Vista communities like San Miguel Ranch and Rolling Hills Ranch (Proctor Valley Rd / Hunte Pkwy / Mount Miguel area, 91914 zip) are both VERY nice areas, but I think they may be out of your price range. Worth a look though.

Bonita is another community that's East of the 805, but it's definitely different than what most consider "East Chula Vista." It's older and more rural(ish). A lot of people like it. I don't (I prefer new).

Another idea would be the Ocean View Hills area (92154 zip code). I love this area, though I don't see it mentioned too much on here. I think perhaps its proximity to the border may turn people off, but it's really quite nice. A lot of new construction, and it reminds me a lot of the communities in East Chula Vista.

As for the other places mentioned, I like parts of Lemon Grove and San Marcos. I wouldn't live anywhere in National City that I can think of.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:29 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
All,

Budget for renting would be up to $3000. Budget for buying, would most likely be up to the $600K range, but would ideally like to be around $400K-$500K if possible.
Where will you be working?

If you're hoping for a single family home, $400 - $600K means places like La Mesa, Santee, Chula Vista (East of 805 is the newer, nicer area), Lakeside, Mira Mesa, Ramona, Rancho San Diego, Rolando, Lemon Grove, El Cajon (Some parts nicer than others), Escondido, Vista, Oceanside, Imperial Beach, Alpine, perhaps Clairemont Mesa and San Marcos.

To be honest, there aren't many single family homes in San Diego in the $400-$500K range that don't have "issues"; you'll either need to compromise on size, condition, schools, location, safety, or most likely a combo of all of those to find a home in that price range in San Diego County.

If you're open to a condo/townhome, you'll have many more options in your price range.

Here is a recent discussion on the pros and cons of many neighborhoods/areas in SD County:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...out-where.html

And, San Diego Magazine does an annual issue on the "best places to live in San Diego" that will give you more insights into different areas. Here are the 3 most recent issues - you can use google to find older issues:

http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/San-...borhoods-2017/

http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/San-...Neighborhoods/

http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/San-...-in-San-Diego/

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-01-2017 at 07:08 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 06:53 PM

249 posts, read 282,860 times
San Marcos is a growing suburb the rest have some good and bad areas and National City is one of if not the most dangerous areas in San Diego. East Chula Vista is planned condos townhomes and SFH with more TH and CD being built great schools. People say west chula is dangerous but it's not worse than big city crime and there are plans to redo the harbor area with hotels parks and restaurants but for now it's hit and miss street by street in my opinion in W Chula Vista. Lemon grove has potential as well homes on hills with great views and like WCV few blocks you can be in a sketchy area. Lemon Grove WCV and NC are close to beaches in SD SM is northern but nice. Family friendly I would go with E Chula Vista and San Marcos. Paying 3k for rent i suggest buying a nice townhome you can find 3bdmaybe 4 and 2 baths maybe 3 under 450k under 300 hoa. If you must rent each city has some good areas and bad.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:57 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:

Lemon Grove
National City
San Marcos
Chula Vista

National City would not be my choice for buying a home. Get boots on the ground and do your homework about gang activity and you'll understand why.

Lemon Grove has some nicer areas but it is more hit or miss, since it borders some less desirable areas. Similarly, nearby Spring Valley has some nicer areas as well and similar prices -- best parts in Spring Valley will be the eastern edges.

San Marcos is nicer the closer you get to Carlsbad, but my sense is that it is decent overall.

IlovePahrump has done a great job summarizing CV. Even west of the 805, there are some decent (older) neighborhoods, but the southern end gets less desirable. East of the 805 is definitely nicer. There are some older (1970s) homes in the area called Southwestern College Estates that are surrounded by newer developments. They are mainly ranch style homes. It is a nice neighborhood and homes there are less expensive then the newer master planned communities surrounding them. Out of the places you mentioned, that would be my first place to look.

But, see the list of additional suggestions I gave above and read through the information in the links. Just keep in mind that you will have more options in the higher end of your price range than the lower end.

San Diego is cheaper than the Bay area, but still not "cheap" compared to most other places.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Where will you be working?

If you're hoping for a single family home, $400 - $600K means places like La Mesa, Santee, Chula Vista (East of 805 is the newer, nicer area), Lakeside, Mira Mesa, Ramona, Rancho San Diego, Rolando, Lemon Grove, El Cajon (Some parts nicer than others), Escondido, Vista, Oceanside, Imperial Beach, Alpine, perhaps Clairemont Mesa and San Marcos.

To be honest, there aren't many single family homes in San Diego in the $400-$500K range that don't have "issues"; you'll either need to compromise on size, condition, schools, location, safety, or most likely a combo of all of those to find a home in that price range in San Diego County.

If you're open to a condo/townhome, you'll have many more options.

Here is a recent discussion on the pros and cons of many neighborhoods/areas in SD County:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...out-where.html

And, San Diego Magazine does an annual issue on the "best places to live in San Diego" that will give you more insights into different areas. Here are the 3 most recent issues - you can use google to find older issues:

San Diego's Best Neighborhoods 2017 - San Diego Magazine - March 2017 - San Diego, California

San Diego's Next Hot Neighborhoods - San Diego Magazine - March 2016 - San Diego, California

The Best Places to Live in San Diego

We would prefer to stay away from condos (to buy) but are okay with buying a townhome (more privacy, less connecting walls/floors/ceilings with neighbors.

For my work, I do not have a "specific" location. I will traveling to many different sites everyday/week all throughout San Diego & neighboring towns.

We aren't looking for anything in actual San Diego anyway, suburbs/close towns are preferred.

Thanks for the info!

Old 07-01-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercad55 View Post
San Marcos is a growing suburb the rest have some good and bad areas and National City is one of if not the most dangerous areas in San Diego. East Chula Vista is planned condos townhomes and SFH with more TH and CD being built great schools. People say west chula is dangerous but it's not worse than big city crime and there are plans to redo the harbor area with hotels parks and restaurants but for now it's hit and miss street by street in my opinion in W Chula Vista. Lemon grove has potential as well homes on hills with great views and like WCV few blocks you can be in a sketchy area. Lemon Grove WCV and NC are close to beaches in SD SM is northern but nice. Family friendly I would go with E Chula Vista and San Marcos. Paying 3k for rent i suggest buying a nice townhome you can find 3bdmaybe 4 and 2 baths maybe 3 under 450k under 300 hoa. If you must rent each city has some good areas and bad.
Buying will come soother rather than later. But being new to an area, we definitely want to rent for a year or two, just to make sure we can see ourselves long term in San Diego, or buying would be pointless right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego