U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 06:48 PM

7,031 posts, read 3,757,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I won't be moving anytime soon. Just researching now.
So there could be a rattlesnake in my yard at any given time? What's a zonie? Sounds like a tourist thing lol.
Yes, people do find rattlesnakes in their yards here, and sometimes in their garages and houses too. There have even been people bitten by rattlesnakes on beaches here.

A zonie is what we call the people from Arizona who come here to escape the summer heat in Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 07:36 AM

32,822 posts, read 30,068,682 times
We also have scorpions and centipedes. People just don't normally see them when they are out.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:28 AM

896 posts, read 422,842 times
So y'all have a version of scorpion Raid? How do you keep these things outside? We have snakes in Virginia. We put lye in the grass to keep them out the yard I believe. I mean if you find a centipede do you step on it? Ew!

Old 08-01-2017, 10:19 AM

16,089 posts, read 9,261,487 times
Quote:
So y'all have a version of scorpion Raid? How do you keep these things outside? We have snakes in Virginia. We put lye in the grass to keep them out the yard I believe. I mean if you find a centipede do you step on it? Ew!
NOT if you are barefoot.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:39 PM

2,324 posts, read 3,442,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Wow, I don't agree that big earthquakes aren't a concern in SD but lots of insight here. As far as no place being like San Diego, I'd say OC is darn close in most respects, not to mention geographically so...
I also agree with the OC comparison to a point. Even my neighborhood feels very South-OC in terms of architecture, cars, and demographics, but I would say that it's *suburban* San Diego that feels like OC. Urban San Diego doesn't. OC doesn't have any urban centers that in any way measure up to SD's urban core and neighborhoods. And overall, OC just feels a bit more manicured than SD.

I love the South OC coast for its beauty and, IMO, even better climate (warmer, less marine layer), so I think OC has the nicer beaches actually. But I love SD for having a little bit of everything a city should have.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:58 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,596,959 times
Quote:
San Diego is huge as a county. It's urban core is a relatively small part of the county. You need to specify what you are asking about.
Some think of the area as San Diego and I think of the city of San Diego. Is that what you mean?

Old 08-01-2017, 01:27 PM

32,822 posts, read 30,068,682 times
Quote:
cute lil bugger

http://sciencing.com/types-centipede...a-8635955.html

Old 08-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Status: "Certified Victim™ who walked away" (set 5 days ago)

9,129 posts, read 6,788,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Some think of the area as San Diego and I think of the city of San Diego. Is that what you mean?
I mean county vs. City. The county is big and tends highly suburban to even rural. The urban core is distinct but people conflate the two because San Diego itself conflates then. I don't mean this as a negative. My relatives and friends in Carlsbad are convinced they live in San Diego, but then complain about the heavy traffic to...San Diego.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:15 PM

62 posts, read 733,416 times
living in SD is great. i agree with many here that there are many parts that are walkable, and many parts that are not. i don't really find it as expensive as others indicate, in comparison to other places i have lived, but i don't want to start an argument based on that

the cold weather isn't as cold as a lot of other places, and the hot is also not as hot. so it's temperate. there's also a lot to do during much of the year. it's not as old as some other cities, so the historic value can be a challenge. but there's a lot of recent history that keeps places like balboa park and old town interesting

and of course, there's beaches! i don't mean like bette midler. although there are other celebrity sightings sometimes (i recently saw drew brees)

Old 08-01-2017, 03:34 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,596,959 times
Quote:
I mean county vs. City. The county is big and tends highly suburban to even rural. The urban core is distinct but people conflate the two because San Diego itself conflates then. I don't mean this as a negative. My relatives and friends in Carlsbad are convinced they live in San Diego, but then complain about the heavy traffic to...San Diego.
Yes I know what you are talking about. I was thinking that was what you were meaning. LOL.

My sister and BIL, an old friend, and a guy I knew years ago, all would say that they lived in San Diego although all of them were living in North County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or