Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 11:15 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times

Advertisements

Is it walkable at all?
How safe is it? Given the worst neighborhood in the area against other big cities worst neighborhoods.
Natural disasters ?
Pest? Florida has gators, Virginia has spider crickets,etc
Things to do for singles around 40
Anything else you'd like to throw in....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 03:06 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
A day in San Diego is like riding a flying unicorn with rainbows coming out of its behind.

Our worst neighborhoods are far better than worst neighborhoods elsewhere. In even the worst neighborhoods, residents will rat out gangbangers, street thugs, and malevolent deed-doers without a second thought. Gangs don't run neighborhoods here.

Parts of it are walkable. Many parts are not. We'll gladly steer you to where it's walkable and where it isn't.

We have mild risk of natural disasters. Obviously earthquakes occur, but the big ones always seem to pass us by. There have been a half dozen big earthquakes (6.5 - 8.0) in the LA area in the past 160 years (1857, 1933, 1971, 1994, probably some others I can't think of). None in San Diego. Firestorms, are another risk, but that is something which can be prepared for by either not living in fire prone areas, or trimming back the nearby dead brush.

As for pests, we have plenty of fleas. Unlike most parts of the country, we don't have a cold weather winter die off in the flea population. Killer bees are out there somewhere, plus there are rumors of people sometimes getting sick from the odd imported tropical disease like West Nile virus.

Housing is expensive. Always has been, always will be. Traffic is bad, but many cities are worse.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:14 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
A day in San Diego is like living in a WAY overcrowded sardine can -- and you have to pay through your behind to live like that. It's a great place to vacation (NOT during tourist season) but you don't want to live there.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:50 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times
Here's something you might find interesting:

https://www.sparefoot.com/moving/mov...-to-san-diego/

Old 07-30-2017, 06:42 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
Here's something you might find interesting:

https://www.sparefoot.com/moving/mov...-to-san-diego/
San Diego has more crime than DC and more people in poverty than Baltimore? That sounds like a crisis.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:44 AM

337 posts, read 276,562 times
I have to disagree here on gangs. There are gangs that run neighborhoods. I worked in them. That being said, the places that the gangs live and run, aren't places you would usually want to go to anyway (at least me).You won't find any Trader Joe's there lol... Let them shoot each other. I don't really care. The gangs here are pretty much contained in a few areas wheres say in LA, they are spread out.

Some neighborhoods are pretty walkable, but most aren't.

The only COMMON natural disaster is having an earthquake.

The pests here are the same ones throughout the country of rodents I guess. In areas closer to the beach (where I live) there's termites constantly especially when the weather gets more humid. You frequently see tenting done. I regularly sweep termite crap and damage on my patio. Roaches are a lot more present also at the beach when the humidity is greater.

The things to do for single is no different than anywhere else except for the presence of the ocean.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:00 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
San Diego has more crime than DC and more people in poverty than Baltimore? That sounds like a crisis.
It also sounds like a load of **** (I grew up in/around DC)

Living in San Diego is amazing if you can afford to do so without scraping by

Old 07-30-2017, 12:29 PM

919 posts, read 789,856 times
agree, I have lived here for 15 years and still feel blessed. Did anyone go outside this weekend?
Dave

Old 07-30-2017, 12:41 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
When you get right down to it, living in San Diego is like living anywhere else.

We get up, go to work, pay bills, make friends, date and have breakups, take care of our families (if we have them). We have good times and bad times, just like people living anywhere.

We just do it with a little nicer scenery and better weather than some other places have.

But, life is life where ever you are.

Also, millions of people live in San Diego County. They live in many different types of places - from urban to suburban to rural. And, people here have many different types of lifestyles.

So, it's impossible to stereotype ALL of San Diego, or ALL of the people who live here in a sentence or two. Anyone who tries is bound to make a fool of themselves.

It's also impossible to say whether a stranger on the Internet will like living here (or not). Like all major metro areas, the San Diego area will be a great match for some people, an OK match for some people, and a terrible match for some people.

The only way to find out whether San Diego is a match for YOU is to put your own boots on the ground, spend some time here, and decide for yourself.

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-30-2017 at 01:17 PM..

Old 07-30-2017, 04:23 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,800 times
San Diego is safer than most big cities in the US, has walkable neighborhoods along the coast and between the 8 and 94 freeways, is prone to fires but not big earthquakes, no pest issues unless you live on the outskirts (coyotes mainly), has one of the worst median wage/housing price ratios in the entire US, has rising housing costs in spite of the already unaffordable prices, has arguably the best combination of weather and scenery in the US, and has a bad dating scene for men and a great dating scene for women, primariy due to the existencee of 7 military bases around town (highest % of military outside of Norfolk, VA), has the highest % of Millennials of any big city in the US, and the people here are generally unimpressive (cliquish, narcissistic and anti-intellectual), although you will find exceptions. However, those exceptions you end up finding may end up moving away due to the high (and rising) cost of living.

San Diego is NOT like living anyplace else; that's a silly notion. I'd also recommend spending time here to check it out, just be advised that the investigation process will cost you more here than in other places.

Last edited by GSR13; 07-30-2017 at 04:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego