U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2017, 03:03 PM

62 posts, read 733,132 times

Advertisements

recently, i bought a new microwave, and it took forever to find a place that will recycle it without charging a fee. after many phone calls and leg work, as well as miles driven, i finally took it to a recycling center that gave me a whopping 92 cents for it. better than paying a fee, but not ideal

i still have other items that i need to recycle. the oddest item is a garage door opener (motor), and i still have a garbage disposal unit to get rid of. i know i can take them apart, and then separate the metals and then do it that way. but that's a lot of effort for just a few pennies.

is there a place that takes items like this for recycling? i am finding it hard to be "green" these days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 04:44 PM

3,476 posts, read 4,552,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagefile View Post
recently, i bought a new microwave, and it took forever to find a place that will recycle it without charging a fee. after many phone calls and leg work, as well as miles driven, i finally took it to a recycling center that gave me a whopping 92 cents for it. better than paying a fee, but not ideal

i still have other items that i need to recycle. the oddest item is a garage door opener (motor), and i still have a garbage disposal unit to get rid of. i know i can take them apart, and then separate the metals and then do it that way. but that's a lot of effort for just a few pennies.

is there a place that takes items like this for recycling? i am finding it hard to be "green" these days...
I'm fairly certain you can take all that to the landfill in Miramar. They're not going to pay you for it, though, in fact you'll have to pay a small fee (which, in my estimation, is still a better value than the time it's take to take stuff apart, etc), but if your concern is being "green" that's your solution:

https://www.sandiego.gov/environment...miramarrecycle

Old 08-01-2017, 06:35 PM

32,807 posts, read 30,052,880 times
https://recyclesandiego.org/services...ics-recycling/

The rest is easiest to just post on CL and leave it curbside for someone.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:54 AM

12,970 posts, read 24,020,746 times
I just put mine in the recycling bin, and they took it away.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:23 AM

thanks for the replies. i will consider putting them in the recycle bin. i may try taking them to the same place i took the microwave

Old 08-02-2017, 01:21 PM

244 posts, read 472,526 times
If I'm unsure about if something can be recycled, I'll throw it in there. I assume they will separate it out. I would love to take a tour of a recycling facility someday (if they have them).

p.s. I hate the fact that plastic cutlery can't be recycled...that stuff should be banned.

However, you can recycle beer bottle caps, so that's good!

Old 08-03-2017, 08:08 AM

32,807 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
If I'm unsure about if something can be recycled, I'll throw it in there. I assume they will separate it out. I would love to take a tour of a recycling facility someday (if they have them).

p.s. I hate the fact that plastic cutlery can't be recycled...that stuff should be banned.

However, you can recycle beer bottle caps, so that's good!
The center or where they take it afterwards? I ask because the place where you take your al cans is a freak show and I dread going there. Luckily it's only once every few months.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:07 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,275,861 times
Back alley? Literally every single thing I've put in our back alley has been taken, usually within the hour. Some of the stuff was real garbage, things that were broken and such. Anything from some screws and a plastic tote to a grill and crib have been taken. If I can't get rid of it in two weeks on Craigslist and it's too big or inconsequential to take to Goodwill, it's in the alley. I've probably saved a good ton of landfill space that way.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:11 PM

i put it in the recycle bin, and they took it, no problem

thanks again for all the responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego