U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 10:13 AM

7,031 posts, read 3,744,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
These areas are considered "high" desert?
Yes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Jacumba and boulevard are high desert. Ranchita is also pretty high, but Julian and pine valley are at like 4K elevation, they are in the mountains. There are very few places with any population in the desert of SD county, most people live in el centro.
Yes, I read recently that San Diego County is bigger (in square miles) than both Rhode Island and Delaware, and almost as big as the state of Connecticut. But, the majority of the County's population is concentrated in approximately 1/3 of the County (again, in square miles).

To me, that's always been one of the really neat things about living in San Diego County -- you don't have to go far to get away from the crowds.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I am completely in love with the Anza Borrego Desert, it is that unique...and this comes from someone who was raised in the desert (not there) & hated it. I think I must know every canyon & wash. I've biked it, hiked it, 4WD it, camped it.

The height of stupidity, however, was trying to turn Borrego Springs into a golf resort. A green grass golf course in the desert? Really?
And, the water aqufier - where most of the water in Borrego Springs comes from - is drying up thanks in part to the golf courses.

The situation is dire as Borrego Water Districts aquifer is being rapidly depleted - LA Times

Old 08-17-2017, 12:47 PM

5,165 posts, read 2,389,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
And, the water aqufier - where most of the water in Borrego Springs comes from - is drying up thanks in part to the golf courses.

The situation is dire as Borrego Water Districts aquifer is being rapidly depleted - LA Times

Yes, I know...that's a reason I was hesitant to buy there.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:58 PM

8,146 posts, read 25,626,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Yes, I know...that's a reason I was hesitant to buy there.
would not buy there due to this. they will be out of water at some point in our lifetime and you will be relying on trucking it in. It's not the golf course, it's the agriculture that is overpumping the aquafir. Also, the area is getting dryer and hotter, once upon a time in this century, sheep and cattle could be grazed up in Hellhole canyon and Pinyon wash... no longer

Old 08-17-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
would not buy there due to this. they will be out of water at some point in our lifetime and you will be relying on trucking it in. It's not the golf course, it's the agriculture that is overpumping the aquafir. Also, the area is getting dryer and hotter, once upon a time in this century, sheep and cattle could be grazed up in Hellhole canyon and Pinyon wash... no longer
I think the other issue will be air pollution. Once the Salton Sea is gone, Borrego Springs is going to be a very dusty place. (You can already see a visible change in the air quality).

Old 08-17-2017, 10:38 PM

5,165 posts, read 2,389,556 times
Quote:
I think the other issue will be air pollution. Once the Salton Sea is gone, Borrego Springs is going to be a very dusty place. (You can already see a visible change in the air quality).

Really? Well, that sucks. We had a family tradition of spending New Years's Eve camping in a finger canyon out there...started doing it to avoid the neighborhood lunatics shooting off fireworks & guns. It was so peaceful...& the air so clear, it was easy to pick out constellations, see lots of shooting stars...loved it.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:54 PM

4,767 posts, read 10,490,787 times
Quote:
Yes, I read recently that San Diego County is bigger (in square miles) than both Rhode Island and Delaware, and almost as big as the state of Connecticut. But, the majority of the County's population is concentrated in approximately 1/3 of the County (again, in square miles).

To me, that's always been one of the really neat things about living in San Diego County -- you don't have to go far to get away from the crowds.
It's safe to say that San Diego County has one of the most varied topographies in the Country. Not many places have a coastline, mountains, high desert and desert all in one place.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:38 AM

1,341 posts, read 802,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
It's safe to say that San Diego County has one of the most varied topographies in the Country. Not many places have a coastline, mountains, high desert and desert all in one place.
I don't get it. Which exact areas of SD County are "high desert," and which are "low desert?"

I mean, I guess Borrego Springs and Shelter Valley are in the "low desert" area, but which other towns are part of it? Which of those towns are in the "high desert" area of SD County? Would anyone care to give me insight on this?

Come to think of it, I never even knew there was a "high desert" area in SD County. Quite interesting indeed actually. When I think of "high desert," the Victor Valley, Barstow Area, Morongo Basin, and Antelope Valley come to mind first.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:48 AM

4,767 posts, read 10,490,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
I don't get it. Which exact areas of SD County are "high desert," and which are "low desert?"

I mean, I guess Borrego Springs and Shelter Valley are in the "low desert" area, but which else? Which of those towns are in the "high desert" area of SD County? Would anyone care to give me insight on this?

Come to think of it, I never even knew there was a "high desert" area in SD County. When I think of "high desert," the Victor Valley, Barstow Area, Morongo Basin, and Antelope Valley come to mind first.
I always thought Campo and Jacumba were sort of high desert. Elevations of both are 2800' and 3200', not would I would call mountains or the desert floor. Low desert is Ocotillo Wells at 163'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego