Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 09:40 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times

Advertisements

I have a 2011 SUV that's registered in CA & the tag sticker expires in Jan 2018. However, I'll be in FL until mid-Feb, before returning to CA. If I'm not mistaken, since the car will be 7-yrs old in Jan, I'll need a smog inspection this time 'round, rather than just paying registration fees for the sticker, or do I?

According to the DMV site, San Diego Cty (where I used to live) only requires certain zip codes to obtain 2-yr smog inspections (I lived in 2 zip codes that required it... STAR inspection, in fact). There's a link where you can punch in your zip & it will let you know if you're included. The problem is, I will be getting an apt after returning & am also interviewing for a job in San Francisco, so don't know which zip to use as I don't yet know where I'll be.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...smogfaq#BM2539

"The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV."

With the above being the case, as I'm making my way back to CA, do I risk being pulled over & ticketed for driving a car with an expired sticker?

Thanks very much.

Further inspection info for the zips I used to live in (called Enhanced areas), but I'm unsure if that's just when transferring ownership?

https://smogcheck.ca.gov/FormsPubs/F...ram_Areas.html

Enhanced Areas: These areas do not meet federal or state air quality standards for ozone and carbon monoxide. Biennial Smog Check inspections are required in these areas, in addition to the change of ownership and initial registration inspection requirement. Additionally, a portion of the vehicles in Enhanced Areas must receive their biennial Smog Check at a STAR station. In order to measure NOx emissions, specified model-year vehicles in Enhanced Area are subject to an ASM (Acceleration Simulation Mode) emissions test.

I can call the DMV, but I sound as confused as I do here, so will do that as a last resort. Maybe it's just me.

Last edited by A.Typical.Girl; 09-05-2017 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: To add links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 10:50 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Is the car with you in FL right now?

Old 09-05-2017, 11:06 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
It's doesn't matter about the Zip code, just pay the Registration fee and save the receipt. When you get back to California smog the car ASAP. They will send you your new stickers in a week.
That's all you can do at this point. If you get pulled over you can at lease show the officer you have paid the registration fee And that, you're headed back to CA to Smog the car. I Would also call the CA DMV and see if they have a better Answer 1-800-777-0133
Good luck

Old 09-05-2017, 11:22 AM

I gather what happened is that you moved to Florida and didn't register your car there. Now you might be returning to CA. I assume The address on your CA registration is no longer a valid address so if you renew your registration the address where the car is located is no longer is true and you would be submitting inaccurate information to the DMV. This is probably a common issue with all the snowbirds in FL. I'd call the CA DMV and explain your situation.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
It's doesn't matter about the Zip code, just pay the Registration fee and save the receipt. If you get pulled over you can at lease show the officer you have paid the registration fee. I Would also call the CA DMV and see if they have a better Answer 1-800-777-0133
Yes, thanks Hitman, I understood that part of it, which is good. I'll give them a call.

Autumn, LOL, nah, you're wrong on all counts, but that's okay... never heard of snowbirds defined as those who go from San Diego to FL.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:03 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Yes, thanks Hitman, I understood that part of it, which is good. I'll give them a call.

Autumn, LOL, nah, you're wrong on all counts, but that's okay... never heard of snowbirds defined as those who go from San Diego to FL.
No Problem

Old 09-05-2017, 06:25 PM

What I meant by my snowbirds comment is that Florida has many drivers who probably don't register their cars there because they only live there part of the year and aren't required to. And yes you could be pulled over for an expired tag, although I think that rarely happens But if you're in an accident, speeding, etc.

then it could be an issue.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
What I meant by my snowbirds comment is that Florida has many drivers who probably don't register their cars there because they only live there part of the year and aren't required to. And yes you could be pulled over for an expired tag, although I think that rarely happens But if you're in an accident, speeding, etc.

then it could be an issue.
Thanks, Autumn. I know... I was teasing you!

To be on the safe side, I'll call them. Just thought someone might have gone through the same recently & could save me from customer service annoyances & the nightmare of phone trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego