U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 09:09 AM

4,631 posts, read 8,586,173 times

Advertisements

If history is any indicator both from the public/political will and ability to get things done, its a long shot.
Even though their requirements are somewhat vague for the bids, no one really knows what contributing factors will come in to play.
Within 45 mins drive from an international airport can be past Alpine which is really only 32 miles from SAN.

But off the top of my head with larger corps we have had trouble attracting or even retaining their presence due to: housing needs, total infrastructure, taxes, land use, quality of life, dependence on foreign skilled workers, ability to retain and attract skilled workers and of course changes in business which we cannot control.

Funny story regarding this topic. We are selling our house in Lemon Grove which actually went pending last night after 3 days on market.
Our last showing was a prospective hipsterish buyer from the Bay Area that loved the house and put in an offer because she was sold that Amazon were moving here and that the home prices would skyrocket. When I asked her why she was so confident, there were no specifics except the fact that the UT had an article about it and that the City would place a bid. Nice...

Some interesting thoughts from some other websites
https://www.recode.net/2017/9/9/1627...d-headquarters

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-...-headquarters/

http://www.slate.com/articles/busine..._s_new_hq.html

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 09-10-2017 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 12:23 PM

8,285 posts, read 5,842,747 times
I think putting SD is really a stalking horse for Amazon to see where they can extract goodies from other cities. As others have mentioned, SD isn't a very ideal site given the costs, and restrictions on the airport (which is the deal breaker for a logistics oriented company like AMZ). It's kind of sad that large corporations get governments into a bidding war of giving away taxpayer funds for the privilege of hosting a corporate office.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:51 AM

1,047 posts, read 995,729 times
Sorry guys their gonna pick Phoenix.... Not a good business move to go into California. No one likes being taxed to death.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:09 AM

924 posts, read 906,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Sorry guys their gonna pick Phoenix.... Not a good business move to go into California. No one likes being taxed to death.
Then why are so many of the most valuable companies in the world headquartered in California?

Old 09-11-2017, 07:40 AM

8,148 posts, read 25,642,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I think putting SD is really a stalking horse for Amazon to see where they can extract goodies from other cities. As others have mentioned, SD isn't a very ideal site given the costs, and restrictions on the airport (which is the deal breaker for a logistics oriented company like AMZ). It's kind of sad that large corporations get governments into a bidding war of giving away taxpayer funds for the privilege of hosting a corporate office.
What better use of taxpayer funds than to attract employers? I'd rather have my taxes go to bringing jobs to residents than paying bloated pensions and wasting it on construction boondoggles.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:44 AM

576 posts, read 826,920 times
And the NYTimes says: Denver.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...s-be.html?_r=0

I don't think tax structure or cost of living would play a huge role. Boston, New York or Washington would be strong contenders based on the wish list Amazon provided and all of those have similar costs to SD. However, I don't think San Diego has the kind of talent that Amazon needs, business web engineers are limited; SD is much more focused on hardware and biotech.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:00 PM

924 posts, read 906,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
And the NYTimes says: Denver.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...s-be.html?_r=0

I don't think tax structure or cost of living would play a huge role. Boston, New York or Washington would be strong contenders based on the wish list Amazon provided and all of those have similar costs to SD. However, I don't think San Diego has the kind of talent that Amazon needs, business web engineers are limited; SD is much more focused on hardware and biotech.
I'm sure they could entice people from UCI, UCLA, etc to move to San Diego.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:11 PM

8,285 posts, read 5,842,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
What better use of taxpayer funds than to attract employers? I'd rather have my taxes go to bringing jobs to residents than paying bloated pensions and wasting it on construction boondoggles.
Well it's all got to be in moderation. Don't be like Alabama when they pretty much gave away the store to Daimler Benz to the point where they had shortfalls in the education budget because of it.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/09/01/bu...t.html?mcubz=1

http://savannahnow.com/stories/10090...l#.WbbSm8iGNPY

Old 09-11-2017, 12:39 PM

576 posts, read 826,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I'm sure they could entice people from UCI, UCLA, etc to move to San Diego.
Absolutely. It is always easy to get people to move to San Diego, especially with the high salaries Amazon would offer. However, Amazon specifically said they were looking for an area that had existing talent. Relocating folks would be expensive and a pain.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:28 PM

7,185 posts, read 7,522,728 times
The City can't even get together on a stadium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or