Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 01:21 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal2 View Post
Thanks! Ramona is probably too far east for us. We'll look in Rancho Penasquitos, but I had gotten the impression from my reading on this forum that many consider that area to be undesirable?
Rancho Penasquitos is old. It has some Section 8 housing near the Carmel Mountain exit from the I-15 freeway; you may want to avoid that particular area. Otherwise it's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 01:26 PM

332 posts, read 632,296 times
Default Pq

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Rancho Penasquitos is old. It has some Section 8 housing near the Carmel Mountain exit from the I-15 freeway; you may want to avoid that particular area. Otherwise it's fine.
Agreed that PQ is fine. This is the first I've heard that PQ is undesirable. We've been in the PUSD district for going on 7 years and PQ for a little over a year, and we favor that over RB or Carmel Mountain. More of a family feel and being West of the 15 means we're a bit closer to the ocean (we can view the ocean from our street on clear days). Cooler than Poway too I imagine.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:45 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,572,793 times
The area of PQ that runs along Black Mountain Rd is not that old. It was built in the 90s. And it's still in the PUSD. Many of the homes in that area don't have A/C. Don't get a place without A/C. PQ gets pretty toasty in the summer. And if you look real closely, some of the homes have a distant ocean view.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
Agreed that PQ is fine. This is the first I've heard that PQ is undesirable. We've been in the PUSD district for going on 7 years and PQ for a little over a year, and we favor that over RB or Carmel Mountain. More of a family feel and being West of the 15 means we're a bit closer to the ocean (we can view the ocean from our street on clear days). Cooler than Poway too I imagine.
PQ is generally five to ten degrees cooler than Poway.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:50 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
PQ is predominantly asian and the parts near mira mesa are run down, my guess hence the remarks here. It's pretty nice once you are removed from MM blvd.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
PQ is predominantly asian and the parts near mira mesa are run down, my guess hence the remarks here. It's pretty nice once you are removed from MM blvd.
???

Rancho Penasquitos isn't anywhere near MM Blvd. Its lower boundary is south of Park Village and north of Mercy Road. If it's predominately asian, why am I not seeing them since I live in RP. Are you confusing RP with Mira Mesa?

Old 09-14-2017, 10:13 AM

148 posts, read 279,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal2 View Post
Since finding out that we're relocating to the San Diego area for work, I've been combing through these forums for advice on where to look for rentals, rental rates, safe/unsafe areas, etc. You sure are a helpful bunch of people! But most of the discussions I've been reading come from 5-10 years ago. We won't have the opportunity to live in (or even visit) San Diego for any length of time before choosing a place to live, so we could really use some guidance. Here's what we are looking for:

- Rental budget around $2,500-$2,800
- We have 3 crazy, energetic children, so... 3-4 bedroom SF home or townhome, at least 1,500 square feet?
- 20-30 minute commute to/from work in Poway in traffic (for a 9-5 job)
- Around 30 minutes from the church we'll be attending in Escondido
- Bonus Points: around 20 minutes from the beach, museums, zoo etc.
- More Bonus Points: walking distance to amenities like a library, bookstore, parks, groceries, etc.

The issue is that we aren't finding many options like this right in Poway, which would be the easiest choice since it would be close to work, and we aren't sure what other neighborhoods to consider in our price range. Taking the advice of many others who have posted here in previous years, we are NOT hoping to live on the beach or right downtown on our budget.

Which areas/neighborhoods might fit the bill?
Mira Mesa

- lite traffic: you will be against traffic during rush hour.
- schools are good.
- walking distance to amenities
- within your rental range.
- 30 min to Escondido, beaches,zoo, legoland....

Last edited by photo4fun; 09-14-2017 at 10:58 AM..

Old 09-14-2017, 10:24 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,530,019 times
^^ Agreed, Mira Mesa is older and a bit grittier in some parts versus other places described, but fits the OP's criteria 100% so I wouldn't discount it.

Rental budget around $2,500-$2,800
- We have 3 crazy, energetic children, so... 3-4 bedroom SF home or townhome, at least 1,500 square feet?
- 20-30 minute commute to/from work in Poway in traffic (for a 9-5 job)
- Around 30 minutes from the church we'll be attending in Escondido
- Bonus Points: around 20 minutes from the beach, museums, zoo etc.
- More Bonus Points: walking distance to amenities like a library, bookstore, parks, groceries, etc.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:06 PM

18 posts, read 18,459 times
Mental note taken to look at Mira Mesa and PQ, and I like the idea of staying west of the 15! Any areas of Mira Mesa to avoid?

Old 09-14-2017, 01:08 PM

18 posts, read 18,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo4fun View Post
Mira Mesa

- lite traffic: you will be against traffic during rush hour.
- schools are good.
- walking distance to amenities
- within your rental range.
- 30 min to Escondido, beaches,zoo, legoland....

So rush hour traffic on the 15 generally goes toward downtown San Diego in the morning and away from it in the evening? How's the traffic going East-West, assuming we are going to try to live west of Poway for cooler temperatures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego